Recommendations, please for killing time in AKL

Tampa Girl

We will be arriving around 6:00 a.m. in Auckland on March 1st and sailing on the Statendam that afternoon. I assume that we can board at 11:30, and the Pier advises that our luggage can be checked at 9:00 a.m. Any suggestions as to: One, how to get from the airport to the pier; and, two, what is the best way to utilize our time until boarding? I read somewhere about an on/off bus tour of the city which sounds interesting. Also, what temperatures can we expect at that time? Thanks in advance for your input.

Virginia

Do you remember how much the cab fare was from the airport to the pier? And do you know if there are limousines or airport buses that go to the pier? Of course, when one considers the cost of this trip . . . what's a few dollars here or there, right? The taxi would be the easiest, for sure.

We will be arriving around 6:00 a.m. in Auckland on March 1st and sailing on the Statendam that afternoon. I assume that we can board at 11:30, and the Pier advises that our luggage can be checked at 9:00 a.m. Any suggestions as to: One, how to get from the airport to the pier; and, two, what is the best way to utilize our time until boarding? I read somewhere about an on/off bus tour of the city which sounds interesting. Also, what temperatures can we expect at that time? Thanks in advance for your input.

Virginia

Perhaps you could go and find where they sell the $204 bras;)

Taxi fare from airport to hotel last March was between $20-25. There are also shuttles available but, depending on the size of your group, it is often less expensive to take a taxi - just be sure it can accommodate all of your luggage. By the time you get off of the plane, retrieve your luggage, go through customs/immigration (not sure what it's called there) walk to exit and get to the city, you may be able to check your luggage in at the ship, have breakfast and be on your way to do a bit of sightseeing in the center city. The ship docks within walking distance of the main part of town with easy access to city and hop-on/hop-off buses. Before you know if you'll be onboard!!

If you are looking to kill some time in Auckland take the ferry across the harbour to Devonport. It's an interesting place with restaurants, pubs etc. There is also a fort on the hill with some great views across Auckland harbour.

Virginia

I'm sure there'll be taxis at the airport. But I always try to seek out a cheaper alternative when I travel. There's the airbus that takes you from the airport to the city: http://www.airbus.co.nz/cheap-airport-bus-transfer/169/Times+and+Prices.aspx

Don't know where your ship is, but Celebrity Mercury docked at just north of STOP #6 on the map, right at the end of Lower Hobson street. If you managed to have your luggages stored or checked, and still have the energy and awake to look around, I recommend either walking along the pier, or take the FREE tourist bus that makes a loop of Auckland and you can decide if you want to stop and take your photos and hop back on. You can catch the bus very nearby on Queen Street (just north of Quay and Queen intersection). If you want a map for this free route or other info, there's a TI on the corner of Lower Hobson and Quay Street (on Quay). If you click on the link above, it'll have the map of the airbus route along with all the street mentioned here. Hope this helps.

Archived