weather in late Nov

Travel-Bug

Both Australia and NZ have wide variations in weather from region to region. November and December tend to be the warmer months but places like Milford Sound (NZ) are almost always wet and cold. Generally speaking for both countries the further north you go the warmer it gets and the further south you go the colder it gets.

Which places are you thinking of visiting in Australia and NZ?

Mochuck,

We are looking at a cruise stopping in Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, cruising through Fjordland Natl Park, Melbourne, Burnie, Tasmania and Sydney. I would prefer to travel independantly but my husband prefers a cruise so as not to hassle with diffterent hotels. Would I be better weather wise looking at end of March beginning of April instead. Or is beginning Jan much better? I'm limited to holiday periods being a teacher.

Thanks!

You should be fine in Nov - Dec. Equally, March - April should also be OK. January can be VERY hot but not always. It depends on how you handle hot weather.

We did a land trip South Island of NZ in Nov - Dec a few years ago. It was lovely weather but as I said cold and wet at Milford Sound. Having said that, Milford Sound is spectacular in any weather.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Statendam for the Nov 18 07 sailing as well. We ended up in Brisbane, however. Weather was not shorts in NZ but quite pleasant. Was shorts weather in OZ and real hot in Brisbane and Cairns.

I'm a teacher and need to travel during part of one of my school breaks. How is the weather in Aus and NZ in late Nov and early Dec. I'm nervous about south island NZ's weather from some of the posts I've read.

I was in New Zealand this past November. From Nov. 21 - Dec. 10, I was on the South Island from Nov. 29 to Dec. 10. The weather was perfect. But, I think we were lucky. Even the New Zealanders told us this was not typical. But, now having been to New Zealand, don't let the seasons affect your going. Go whenever it's best for you, when you go is not as important as the fact that you must go. If I had to do over again, I would go on the same dates. I realize we may not be lucky the 2nd time with the weather, but I'd go again. I'd go again anytime. Have fun planning, just be sure that you do go.

Archived