Suite Coffee? Is it any better?

Lsimon

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a coffee snob. We NEED a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning, strong but not bitter.

We've found coffee on of the cruise ships we've been on to be just awful - especially the coffee served for room service and in the buffet. On some past cruises this has driven us to bring our own coffee maker or to visit the Cova Cafe first thing each morning for a couple cups of take-away latte. However, we prefer good old drip brewed coffee over the espresso based coffee served in the Cova.

Here is our question: Our next cruise on the Galaxy will also be our first time ever in a Sky Suite. Will our butler be able to provide any coffee that is better than the coffee otherwise served for room service or in the buffet? I understand they can bring espresso drinks - are these as good as the Cova? I can get by with a nice cup or two of latte in the morning although a decent cup of fresh brewed coffee would sure be nice.

If a butler can provide no better than what is otherwise available, we might consider bringing our own coffee maker again.

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a coffee snob. We NEED a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning, strong but not bitter.

We've found coffee on of the cruise ships we've been on to be just awful - especially the coffee served for room service and in the buffet. On some past cruises this has driven us to bring our own coffee maker or to visit the Cova Cafe first thing each morning for a couple cups of take-away latte. However, we prefer good old drip brewed coffee over the espresso based coffee served in the Cova.

Here is our question: Our next cruise on the Galaxy will also be our first time ever in a Sky Suite. Will our butler be able to provide any coffee that is better than the coffee otherwise served for room service or in the buffet? I understand they can bring espresso drinks - are these as good as the Cova? I can get by with a nice cup or two of latte in the morning although a decent cup of fresh brewed coffee would sure be nice.

If a butler can provide no better than what is otherwise available, we might consider bringing our own coffee maker again.

Start packing your coffee maker. We specifically asked our butler about the coffee (since it was terrible) and he said "it all comes from the same place."

The butler can get you coffee/capacino/expresso from Cova. It is very good.

and please.....coffee people don't faint!:D For 30+ years due to a medical condition I have used freeze dried coffee.:D ! Preferably Tasters Choice with added cinnamon on occasion.

I bring a 2 cup hot pot and boil the water, add it to my big cup, take the cup out on the veranda and sip while the sun is rising. Nothing better for me.

(DH is still sleeping, and does not drink coffee). It's a magic moment.

I need my morning fix, but NOT the coffee from X.:eek:

we then go up for a Spa breakfast, and I still bring my little travel packet of coffee, for a 2nd fix.

I do tolerate the Irish Coffee.:D :D

Larry: I believe we were on the same cruise some years ago?

You can also bring a coffee press, and just order hot water, bring your own coffee and you get your fav coffee.

But since it's vacation I just add baileys, makes everything better :D

Cheer, Carole

We were going to do something similar on the Millennium last Sept - but the water on the ship was terrible! First time water was so bad - it was very heavily chlorinated or something. Some areas had the taste filtered out and some not, so room service or buffet hot water (for drinks) was a bit sketchy - bought a lot of bottled water that cruise.

Larry: I believe we were on the same cruise some years ago?

Could be...summit or connie maybe?

We have never seen GREAT coffee yet! I think it is 'hit or miss' depending on your taste/level of standard and even could vary from cruise to cruise within a venue on ship.

We have for the most part enjoyed coffee at dinner and been less than pleased with coffee in the buffet area. Room service has been good for the most part, especially if hot. This is true for Celebrity and also other cruise lines we have sailed.

The coffee is not better from the Butler. They have a butler station that they use to brew (I believe it comes from a syrup, like the buffet are) the coffee, but it tastes the exact same as anywhere else on the ship. The espresso is not any better, very bitter and generally pretty awful.

Here is the trick; my wife was able to get an iced cappuccino from the Cova Cafe from our Butler. At first he tried to make it at the butler station, but then he decided it would just be easier to get it from the Cova. He said that Celebrity wants to charge for any drinks that people order from the Cova, even in suites, but he never charged us. You may be able to do the same with coffee from the Cova, just ask. I would bring your coffee pot just in case, though.

The info below is from the X site; note that coffee makers are prohibited. Could a coffee press be confiscated? Anyone with experience with this? We're planning to bring ours for our May cruise to Alaska.

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

• Irons

• Candles

• Illegal drugs

• Coffee makers

• Electrical Transformers

• Flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks.

On the suite "benefit" area on the Celebrity web site they state that cappucino and expresso are free. Does this come from the butler?

Yes... and only from the butler and only in your cabin.

If you find the room service coffee too strong, try order it "half and half" with hot water. That's what our butler did last time when we said it was too dark/strong. It sure helped.

Yes... and only from the butler and only in your cabin.

If you find the room service coffee too strong, try order it "half and half" with hot water. That's what our butler did last time when we said it was too dark/strong. It sure helped.

Thank you - it is not just that it is too strong. It has a weird awful taste. I think it has something to do with the methods they use to make the coffee on board. I know sometimes they use some special brewing equipment and sometimes a liquid concentrate. It isn't too bad in the dining room, but I've never had a good experience with the room service or buffet coffee.

I know some people find it OK or even just fine - that's why I started out admitting I was a coffee snob - as we're part of the group that doesn't like it.

Are those little hot pots to boil water allowed or will they be confiscated? DH is the snobbiest of coffee snobs and this would solve his problem if he could bring his water pot and a Melita setup.

A "coffee snob" drinking Melita coffee??? Not very snobby of the snobby if you ask me !! I usually solve this cruise ship wide issues by bringing a french press, and a pack of my favorite Starbucks coffee- this time for century in a few weeks I think it will be Ethiopia Sidamo. All you have to do is ask to get it ground for a "French Press" which is a much coarser grind, you can even pick up a great metal or glass French press at Starbucks for around 50 dollars. If not, housewares stores sell em' at no more than 20 bucks a piece, but I am not sure how well the glass will transport. All you have to do , is order unsteeped tea , hence you will get a pitcher of hot water, add 2-6 tablespoons of coffee, depending on personal preferences, allow the French press to steep for 4 mins, insert the metal filter and press down so that all of the coffee is filtered and the grinds are separated by the filter at the bottom of the press, and what you have left is a cup of authentic full brewed coffee. FYI, coffee connoisseurs usually say the best way to appreciate a particular coffees flavor is through a press, as it is the most direct way and the method which requires the least amount of processing of the coffee. And its also a great tool for camping might I add!!! :D

I call it Melita. He uses some sort of gold looking thing that he pours boiling water over. He has the french presses and likes this set up better for travel. He roasts his own green beans (usually no more than two days ahead but he'll have to settle on 10 days out for the cruise) If he can bring his water pot he'll be a happy camper.

Clean your french press with a swish of water and a bit of soap from your hand, or you could bring along a wee bottle of dishwashing soap if you're a purist. What to do with the grounds? Toss 'em in the trash if the receptacle is lined with plastic. Otherwise, flush 'em.

Since visiting Australia in 2006, instead of pressed coffee, we call it "plungah (plunger)" coffee. :-)

Archived