Regatta Los Angeles Times Travel Section Review

shoshona2

I read the article. Very interesting. We are booked for 10/08 on the Insignia for the 1st time.

Are the veranda cabins really that small?

Didn't read the article (yet), but I can tell you that the veranda cabins on Oceania's ships are larger than the standard veranda cabins on Celebrity's Century and smaller than the standard veranda cabins on HAL's Volendam. Don't know if that helps!

small is subjective

If you are used to suites then the cabins are small

We did not find them small ...they are well appointed with enough storage for us.

we had a inside on Marco Polo ..145 sq ft...now that is small;)

We've only cruised large mainline cruiselines a few times in the past 5 years. We had a minisuite on the Sapphire Princess which was a nice size & then a corner aft deluxe suite on HAL - VERY nice & large.

We've booked A-3 category on Insignia - does anyone have any idea how that would compare to say, the minisuite on Princess? I know it will be smaller than Princess and much smaller than HAL.

What about the shower size I've been hearing about? My husband is not a delicate small creature;) .

The A3 is not a big cabin, it is similar to a normal verandah on the S ships of HAL, such as Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Statendam etc. There is loads of storage in the cabin but the bathroom is small. I feel that only one person at a time can really be in there. The PH1, 2 and 3 are so much bigger, with lots of room to move around and they have a bath with a shower overhead similar to the bathrooms on all HAL ships.

If you have been used to a mini suite on the Princess and a deluxe suite on HAL then you will find the cabin small. We are booked into an A cabin for our cruise in April and a month after we booked we decided that we would like a PH, unfortunately they were all booked. We have been on the waiting list for over 12 months. I doubt that we will get one now as everyone has paid their fare in full so if you want a bigger cabin, book it as soon as possible.

Jennie

I read the article. Very interesting. We are booked for 10/08 on the Insignia for the 1st time.

Just read the whole article and didn't see any mention of a veranda--he just said he saw a dolphin through the window. Said he spent most time outdoors on Deck 5. So he probably had a smaller, OV cabin without a veranda.

The A3 is not a big cabin, it is similar to a normal verandah on the S ships of HAL, such as Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Statendam etc. There is loads of storage in the cabin but the bathroom is small. I feel that only one person at a time can really be in there. The PH1, 2 and 3 are so much bigger, with lots of room to move around and they have a bath with a shower overhead similar to the bathrooms on all HAL ships.
I would think that an A or B would be smaller than the regular balconied cabin on HAL ships like the Maasdam, but more like a category 2 on Celebrity Mercury. The bathroom is small, and the shower is tight. However, most Oceania cruisers look for the port intensive itinerary, and as long as the cabin is adequate (it has no pretense to luxury), that is good enough. The PH is exactly 1.5x the overall size of an A or B.

What about the shower size I've been hearing about? My husband is not a delicate small creature;) .

My husband isn't either, and while he found the shower in our PH large enough, he was much more comfortable in the spa showers. Perhaps your husband would be, too--and then you'll have the bathroom all to yourself!

I would think that an A or B would be smaller than the regular balconied cabin on HAL ships like the Maasdam, but more like a category 2 on Celebrity Mercury. The bathroom is small, and the shower is tight. However, most Oceania cruisers look for the port intensive itinerary, and as long as the cabin is adequate (it has no pretense to luxury), that is good enough. The PH is exactly 1.5x the overall size of an A or B.

Meow,

We have sailed in a Verandah cabin on HAL and a A on the Tahitian Princess (which is the same as Oceania) and the difference is that on HAL a verandah cabin is 292 ft and on Princess it is 216 ft. I feel that the extra room is in HAL's bathrooms. There certainly wasn't a huge amount of room in HAL's cabin. They have a very narrow passageway when you first enter the cabin.

We have also been in a PH quite a number of times on Princess both on their Pacific and Tahitian and that is so much bigger and roomier than the A and B.

Jennie

Archived