Mariner Room - messed up - need suggestions

kathyemma

I was going to book a JS on the mariner of the seas for Nov 23, 2008. But kept putting it off for one reason or another. Now the only JSs they have are obstructed view. I know the sailing is a long time away and I am sure other JSs will open but in the meantime I have put on hold a D1 hump. I have never had a hump - (nor have i had a js) but now I am torn. The D1 is 800 less. However, there MIGHT be 4 of us in the room - in which case the JS would be nice. (but i will not know that until Sept - I will pay a deposit for the 4th - but cancel before final payment if he can't come) We have done 3 in a D1 w/o any problems.

So do i book a JS and hope a better location opens up and our 4th can make it?

Book a D1 hump - save $ and if the 4th comes, just suck it up?

At this point location is more important than money. I LOVE the balcony and DO NOT want an obstructed view. I will be very upset if I book the JS and actually get stuck with that room.

Thanks -

Kathy

Another option is what I had to do in May for our cruise. Not knowing when my DS HS graduation date was, I put a deposit down on the same cabin on the Liberty & Freedom OTS on B2B weeks. It required $1,000.00 deposit on both cabins, but when I found out the actual date approx. 5 months before our cruise, I cancelled the cabin we didn't need and used the money to book shore excursions. Luckily, the week we went was the inaugural Liberty cruise and was about $1,200.00 cheaper than the following week. Hope you have luck in what you decide.

Gregg

The deck plans show no obstructions on the JS's on Mariner--

I can't imagine putting 4 in a D catagory, unless the kids are really tiny!

You need to call RCI and find out WHAT the obstruction is, and if it's a total obstruction. If it's partial, it won't compromise your view. I'd take the JS!

We too are going on the Mariner week of Nov 23rd (mid aft balcony cabin on deck 9). I just checked the JS availability of travel site and it shows 6 JS's available on deck 10 and 1 on deck 9 - none of which have obstructed views. Not sure if this helps.

If you want a JS I would book it now, even if the location isn't exactly where you'd like.... most likely if you wait the price for the JS will only go up...

And another thought... just because a cabin does show as available online.. doesn't mean it isn't REALLY available... the cruise lines don't show all their inventory at one time... if you call there may be a JS available that you would be quite happy with...

You didn't say how old your kids are, but have you looked into the option of booking a balcony cabin for two, and then booking a promenade or inside across the hall for the other two? This would cost less than the JS, and you'd get more space and two bathrooms. On our last two cruises, we got a D3/inside and an E2/promenade for less than the cost of cramming all four of us into one D1.

I am booked on the sailing before yours. Cabins are booking quickly as there will not be that many more sailings on the Mariner out of PC shortly after we sail. I would hesitate to put all of your eggs in one basket and bank on another JS opening up. I would say book a D1 cabin you are happy with, and if a JS you like opens up - you can grab it then.

We too are going on the Mariner week of Nov 23rd (mid aft balcony cabin on deck 9). I just checked the JS availability of travel site and it shows 6 JS's available on deck 10 and 1 on deck 9 - none of which have obstructed views. Not sure if this helps.

Did you check with 4 people in cabin? The web site shows JS available on deck 9 & 10 for 2 passengers but only a Deck 6 Aft that will hold 4. The OP needs a cabin that can hold 4. It is noted on website as obstructed. Somebody can verify, but I believe that is the superstructure on the back of the Voyager series?? Also, this is Thanksgiving week so high demand for cabins I am sure.

Gregg

The deck plans show no obstructions on the JS's on Mariner--

I can't imagine putting 4 in a D catagory, unless the kids are really tiny!

You need to call RCI and find out WHAT the obstruction is, and if it's a total obstruction. If it's partial, it won't compromise your view. I'd take the JS!

The aft JS's are listed as obstructed view because on Voyager-class ships, the superstructure provides a very cage-like effect. There is also that grey area that extends beyond the deck 6 aft balconies, making the ocean/wake seem very far away. To us, it was like overlooking a construction site and definitely compromised the view and took away the visual feeling that we were cruising on the ocean.

Four in a D1 is do-able (we have done it with two teenaged daughters). Cozy, but not impossible. However, we've learned that sometimes two cabins cost about the same as putting all four in one D1, and certainly costs less than a JS.

$800 is a lot of money - that would pay for tips, excursions and all our onboard expenses. Since we're not made of money, we'd never spend that much more to have a JS.

I think I am going to put a deposit down on the D1 (LOVE the location). I MIGHT even put a deposit down on the JS and if a better location open up - switch rooms and dump the D1 (just need to see how much $$ i have!! - wish it could wait until after i get my refund check). I am really afraid of the obstructed view - i would be very upset if i got stuck in that room. Sitting on the balcony is one of my favorite things to do. For those who suggested getting a 2nd room - my dd is only 9 - so she needs to bunk with me for a bit longer! And I do need a JS that will sleep 4 incase the 4th comes with us this year.

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

I think I am going to put a deposit down on the D1 (LOVE the location). I MIGHT even put a deposit down on the JS and if a better location open up - switch rooms and dump the D1 (just need to see how much $$ i have!! - wish it could wait until after i get my refund check). I am really afraid of the obstructed view - i would be very upset if i got stuck in that room. Sitting on the balcony is one of my favorite things to do. For those who suggested getting a 2nd room - my dd is only 9 - so she needs to bunk with me for a bit longer! And I do need a JS that will sleep 4 incase the 4th comes with us this year.

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

First of all, you will absolutely love the hump location. I wouldn't take that obstructed JS on the 6th floor if it was the same price, nevermind $800 more.

Because you have the balcony anyways, that would really make the room seem larger and depending on where you are on the hump, you might have a larger balcony.

The only time the room will seem crowded is at night when all of the beds are open.

If you can, put the deposit on the JS for two people only, if they let you. At least that way you have the price guaranteed if you find another one available.

Good luck and happy sailing.

I was going to book a JS on the mariner of the seas for Nov 23, 2008. But kept putting it off for one reason or another. Now the only JSs they have are obstructed view. I know the sailing is a long time away and I am sure other JSs will open but in the meantime I have put on hold a D1 hump. I have never had a hump - (nor have i had a js) but now I am torn. The D1 is 800 less. However, there MIGHT be 4 of us in the room - in which case the JS would be nice. (but i will not know that until Sept - I will pay a deposit for the 4th - but cancel before final payment if he can't come) We have done 3 in a D1 w/o any problems.

So do i book a JS and hope a better location opens up and our 4th can make it?

Book a D1 hump - save $ and if the 4th comes, just suck it up?

At this point location is more important than money. I LOVE the balcony and DO NOT want an obstructed view. I will be very upset if I book the JS and actually get stuck with that room.

Thanks -

Kathy

Kathy,

Don't you remember how many JS opened up after the fianl deposits were due last time? I seem to remember many people switching rooms for upgrades a few months and weeks before the Nov sailing on LOS.

Sean

Kathy,

Don't you remember how many JS opened up after the fianl deposits were due last time? I seem to remember many people switching rooms for upgrades a few months and weeks before the Nov sailing on LOS.

Sean

You are right - but decided to go with the hump and save some $$. Plus I have never had a hump and I like to say the word - so all should be good. Malcolm's brother and sister just booked last night - so it should be fun having a group of people to drink with on board. Now I just have to wait another 304 days....

Kathy

Archived