Midnight Chocolate Buffet

barrlmunky

We haven't been on a HAL cruise since 2000 - wanting to try out all the other cruise lines and agreeing that HAL is the BEST. I absolutely loved the Chocolate Buffet and wonder if they still do it. We are sailing on the Volendam next week and I haven't seen any mention of this buffet on any of the boards. Do I have to bring my own chocolate or will I still be treated to the wonderful chocolate feast?

We haven't been on a HAL cruise since 2000 - wanting to try out all the other cruise lines and agreeing that HAL is the BEST. I absolutely loved the Chocolate Buffet and wonder if they still do it. We are sailing on the Volendam next week and I haven't seen any mention of this buffet on any of the boards. Do I have to bring my own chocolate or will I still be treated to the wonderful chocolate feast?

Just got off the Noordam. Indeed the Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza is alive and well. Picture line opens at 10 -- Service starts at 10:30 and ends at midnight.

Sorry to be in the slow lane, but do I assume "10" means a.m.?

You've all been so very helpful to a first time cruiser and we thank you!

Jane

Sorry that I forgot there are two 10's in a day. No, I mean 10 PM. Lots of chocolate right before bed. mmmmmmm:p

On the Jan. 5th Oosterdam cruise, there was a "Lido Pool Party" at 9 PM. We had just departed Puerto Vallarta.

"Tonight ... the Culinary team, and our amazing Musicians throw a party by the pool featuring music and dancing, followed by a delicious desert (sic) buffet".

It wasn't a large item in the Daily Program, but was actually a major event. They set it up from 9 to 10 (roughly) and the eating was from 10 or so on. There were long tables all along the starboard wall of the Lido pool area with masses of decorations and an incredible variety of desserts - including a LOT of chocolate items. You could gain ten pounds just at this buffet.

Just got off the Noordam. Indeed the Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza is alive and well. Picture line opens at 10 -- Service starts at 10:30 and ends at midnight.

Do you remember what night this was? We have late dining and will just have to save room for this.

Do you remember what night this was? We have late dining and will just have to save room for this.

Which night they do it will vary by itinerary, but just look in your daily program in the morning and it will tell you if it's that day, so you'll be aware long before dinnertime. If you really want to know in advance, I'm sure you can find out from the dining room staff and/or front desk.

We were on the Volendam to Alaska in Aug. (7 nights). We had a Dessert Buffet on our last sea day at 10 or 11pm. We landed in Vancouver at 7am the next morning. BTW, they wasted sooo much food; some desserts had not even been cut into and were dumped into garbage cans at the end of the night. I don't understand WHY they couldn't have at least offered it to the crew or is there some health department issue preventing them from doing that?:(

We were on the Maasdam in March and they did have a "Dessert Extravaganza". However, we had been on four previous cruises and each time it was called a "Chocolate Extravaganza".

I truly love chocolate and was disappointed in the dessert extravaganza as there were only a few desserts which I would really call "chocolate". Many had chocolate icing or decorations, but were in reality more like just desserts. Since I was trying to watch my weight, I didn't really have a problem that night as I found I could resist many of the very attractive, but non-chocolate, offerings.

I'm sure that someone who is not a chocaholic would find the event to be very much to their liking. I was disappointed--but that is just one person's response and it could have been only on that sailing.

Archived