King of the Millennium Contest

mattR

If I might be allowed to brag - I was "King of the Century" in 2005. It's something that they do poolside. They get like three guys, they have to show off their "royal strut," I think there was a "call out to your subjects" yodle thing, they have a fake "Queen" that you have to profess something to, and you have to get as many women in the pool as you can. Crazy fun and I won! They give you this paper crown with a sparkly "X" on it, and a t-shirt. If you knew me you would understand. I'm one of those "do everything to make an arse of yourself" kind of cruisers. Not to the extent of being rude, but you get it. But hey, I was the King of the Century on a 9-day cruise!

You may kiss my ring now. :D

THey do one on every ship....

the contestants usually belly flop, strut their stuff and dance, maybe do a tarzan yell...the last time the winner was chosen by the size of the conga line behind them.

Dave:eek:

We never had any pool games on our last cruise. PULEASE!!!!!!

SURELY NOT:eek:

TACKY to say the least!

One of the reasons we loved Celebrity was our last cruise with them did NOT have any of these horrendous activities...

OH NO!!:mad:

On our transatlantic they did have this contest. We were going to lay out by the pool, but when we saw the contest we quickly left the area and went to the t-pool. We wondered if we had suddenly transported to a different cruiseline!

It was on the Galaxy last year. We kind of got tricked into playing- the activities staff said they needed one more man and a woman for trivia. We liked trivia, so we said OK. You should have seen the look on my husband's face when they announced it was actually King of the Galaxy contest!

But it led to my favourite cruise memory; sitting on that platform wearing Mardi Gras beads while my husband knelt in front of me and sang a love song in front of the entire pool deck.

I'll never forget that.

He didn't win (winner was determined by the number of followers you could get in a conga line around the pool), but for the rest of the week the activities staff greeted me as Her Royal Highness! It was fun :)

last few cruises we never saw them....now they are advertised in the daily.

Another change by RCL to please the family/young crowd and attract a different demographic.

However I did participate inthe polar bear belly flop contest on the mercury...So I am guilty as well...sorry to shame my name ( although I did win)

Dave:eek:

We are not "games" fans either. :rolleyes: Prefer a nice quiet spot, just within earshot of the pool band. Please tell me that Celebrity is not doing away with the live music around the pool? I hear that Royal is.

SusieV - Reminds me of the RCCL Mariner. The Cruise Director handed out sheets of paper to men in the theater and my DH took one. Turns out that you had to make a paper airplane. Since my DH is not too artistic or mechanical, I took over and made what I thought was a great airplane.:D The problem came when all the men were asked to come up on stage and throw their airplanes. My DH was first and it was a flop! :o Didn't make it past the first row (the person that threw their plane the furthest got a prize...DH got a key-chain and humiliation!)

I don't think he has ever forgiven me.

Archived