Hotels in Venice

You should be able to take a land taxi to the area where the water buses leave from. The best bargain is the 24 hour pass and be sure and activate it in the yellow machine before you board the bus. #1 bus will take you all around the island and you can get on and off as you want to.

We are going to Venice in April. Any suggestions for a good but moderately

priced hotel. Has anyone used Priceline ? We are also looking for some overnight tours out of Venice. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

We have stayed at Casa Andrea Sant in 2006 and returning in May 2008.

Very clean and reasonable. We especially like the location, close to the entrance of Venice.

We will arrive in Venice after a 32 day cruise with a good amount of luggage. We will stay in Venice 2-4 nights afterwards before flying home. How could this influence what hotel to choose. We have heard horror stories of visitors having to schelp bags for blocks through narrow streets. How do you find a hotel that can be reached directly by water taxi. Any suggestions

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? This will be our first time in Venice and a friend of my BIL stays there all the time and recommended it. It's right on the canal and pretty pricey. The reviews on trip advisor seem mixed.

One answer to the post above titled "hotel if you have lots of luggage in Venice" would be the following.

One option is to leave most of your luggage at the airport. They have what they call the "held luggage" office in the lower level of the Marco Polo airport where you can check your extra bags. Then the day of your cruise you make one more trip by special waterbus back over to the airport, claim your luggage and get a land taxi back to the port where they can drive right down to the dock area and you can get a porter to assist you with getting your luggage to the ship.

The cost when we were there several years ago was 2 euros a bag per day and I'm sure it is higher than that now. But it will be worth every "euro" of it once you see the streets and bridges in Venice. The bridges almost all have steps not ramps and you have to hall the luggage up each one and then down again on the other side. The sidewalks and streets are not very smooth either although except for the bridges the good news is it is flat.

Here is one of the best Venice sites I have ever found. It has lots and lots of info on almost everything you want to know about Venice including checking luggage at the airport.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Here is the link for main port in Venice.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

I think they may also have a held luggage office but I have never used it.

Here is the link to the main Venice airport.

http://www.veniceairport.com/core/index.jsp?_requestid=797165

Click on the English flag symbol for the English language version of the site.

Finally here is a site for land taxis that go from the airport to the port or to the city.

http://www.veneziaportaest.com/inglese/index_eng.html

There are also water taxis, which are very expensive, and a special water bus service that only runs from the airport to the city as options. We did the water bus service after we checked out luggage.

Have a great next cruise.

Shirldean,

Have two recommendations altho there are certain to be many others. Both are immediately accessible by water taxi and both are number 1 and 2 on Tripadvisors list of best B&B's. They are often booked a year or more in advance however and may be a little difficult to get a room if it's for this summer.

Ca Angeli http://www.caangeli.it/eng/caangeli.html

and Locanda Orseolo http://www.locandaorseolo.com/en/

Probably your best bet is to do a search for Venice hotels on this site and go to each hotels website and see what their access is like.

Best wishes to you.....

Hotel Olimpia 3* is a really good hotel and reasonably priced. It is very close to Piazzale Roma and therefore close to all transport systems. Also only about 5 mins from Grand Canal and 20 mins to Rialto.

We spent 2 nights here before a cruise last year. Also spent a night in MAestre at the end of our hol. Not something we would repeat as just an industrial area and quite lacking in soul.

http://www.locandaorseolo.com/en/

This little bread and breakfast was fantastic last summer. The water taxi takes you right up to a window you climb though into the lobby. Family run, extremely hospitable, good location and nice beds. Our room overlooked the canal where the gondolas came and went from behind the square. This is the one place I have stayed that I recommend to anyone who asks about Venice.

We enjoyed the proximity to all the key sites by staying at Ca' Dei Dogi http://www.cadeidogi.it/en/index.htm

It's tucked away in an alley just behind the Doge's Palace, so you can jump on the water taxi quickly from the hotel. The hotel enjoys high ratings on tripadvisor.com and is very reasonable.

Enjoy!

I ended up with Ca Doge' right in Piazzale Roma (transportation hub) for Venice. Buses, taxis, cruise shuttles, and vaporetto stop too. But it wasn't cheap.

You may have better luck as you are going earlier than I am, however, if you are looking at April of '08, you are late getting started. A lot of the hotels already have no vacancy for October, let alone April. Good Luck!

How did you like Ca Doge? That's where we have a reservation in June (just 1 night).

We stayed 3 nites post-cruise at THE MONACO & GRAND CANAL right at the mouth of the Grand Canal, next door to Harry's Bar and 1 block from SAN MARCO. Has an open air restorante right on the canal. . . .great for breakfast, lunch or dinner and gondola watching on the canal. It could be alittle pricey maybe :o Ck it out.

CIAO, :D

Stayed in Hotel Olimpia for 3 nights last year. We thought it was great- overlooks a quiet canal.Helpful staff . Very close to Piazzale Roma which meant we didn't have far to carry luggage but far enough away to be peaceful.Also very handy for vaporretto station and free transfer bus to cruise terminal.

The grand canal is about 5 mins away. Lots of restaurants which although still pricey were cheaper than those near St Marks.

How did you like Ca Doge? That's where we have a reservation in June (just 1 night).

I haven't gone yet. Not until Oct '08. So you will see it before I do. Be sure to post your thoughts.

I booked it because of the reviews on Tripadvisor.com and the close proximity to the pier, and the bus to the airport. Plus it looks good for the money. So many of the rooms in Venice (even Italy) look like broom closets not bedrooms.

I had origially looked at Golden Tulip Tritone in Mestre at only $150, but they were a little rude in their email, didn't have a balcony and responded negatively to my smoking question. At Ca Doge, we got the room with the small balcony and she said I could smoke out there, just not in the room.

But now that I have the Ca Doge reserved, I see that the Olimpia and the Arlecchino are both the same price. With the fluxuation of the dollar, room prices have gone crazy over there.

Have a great trip!

We paid $220 for two nights in April on Priceline. Hotel is the Holiday Inn Marghera in Mestre. We spent a week in Venice a couple of years ago at a wonderful hotel near St. Mark's Square. Since we will have a week in Tuscany, post cruise, with a rental car, decided to cheap out in Venice. First night, we will just go to bed and then go into Venice for the day, and the next day we will go to the port for the cruise. Works for us....and that price included all taxes and fees.

Have read this marvelous discussion! (1) If you've been married for more than 40 years and your wife wants to visit Venice after a cruise, not before -- you should listen to her because if you've never been in Venice, its an adjustment best experienced after, once you're more experienced from the cruise. Our cruise starts in Barcelona. A comparison of the two cities gives me the impression that I can easily adjust to Barcelona. I understand the areas, the major streets, and the bus touristic. Our main goal in Barcelona was to overcome jet lag before the cruise starts with immediate activities (first day = port 1/tour 1). Reading this great site, I now know we are staying in an apartment 3/4 blocks from the Picasso museum, a short walk to the bus, and across the street from a major city park (the one with the zoo). An we also have our eyes on the Joan Miro museum. (2) If you are spending 3 consecutive nights in Venice (not counting the one on the ship) you could consider renting an apartment. We "found" a marvelous web site "VRBO" and used it in December for a week on the beach with a marveous ocean/beach view with other family on Sanibel Island Florida. A beautiful 2 bedroom apartment for less than one ordinary hotel room. In Venice last September (yes, I was way eager to start planning for May 2008). I found apartments in both Barcelona and Venice (check them out at VRBO: #s 151184 and 23937). We have location a plus for both and the Venice unit (now 35 euros more/night) has some style as well. We selected apartments so that we can eat one meal out/day and enjoy cheese, bread, etc. from the local markets.

Has any reader had an experience with an apartment rental in either city? I've read about the size of hotel rooms and vaguely remember one in London where it was difficult getting around the bed from one side of the room to the other.

Good luck on your Venice efforts.

David

We stayed for 3 nights in an interesting off beat small 4 room hotel in 2003 after our cruise in the Med on the Golden Princess. We really liked the location, in a more residental area of Venice but still near waterbus stops. Here is a link to it.

http://www.alloggibarbaria.it/gbindex.shtml

If it doesn't work take off the last section. It is called the "Alloggi Barbaria". I wouldn't bring all my luggage as it the rooms are on the second story so leave some of your bigger pieces at the the luggage storage area at the airport.

We stayed in the first room with the blue bedspread. It had a great bathroom with a really nice shower with lots of hot water. You control the A/C which is important in the summer and it has an icebox to chill your wine or beer.

Check out my review on Trip advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d529166-Reviews-Alloggi_Barbaria-Venice_Veneto.html

We really enjoyed staying in an area that actual local Venicians live.

Thanks for this recommendation WWINFL99. We have booked this hotel for 2 nights in October and have recommended it to others travelling with us. Clean, reasonable price, great location - bingo! :D

HI CruseKrazy,

Hopefully you will enjoy your stay in Venice as much as we did. The breakfast they serve is a European or continental version which included bread or rolls, jam and butter, hot tea or coffee, milk, juice and cereal. It was enough to get started on our sightseeing. They served it on the balcony unless the weather was bad which is wasn't the days we were there.

Here is a link to a review of it that I wrote from Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d529166-r3501225-Alloggi_Barbaria-Venice_Veneto.html

It has a link to a map of Venice that shows the location. There is a small grocery store relatively close where you can pick up some soda or other items. The owners there seemed to speak very limited English but were happy to try to help find what we wanted.

Venice is such a magical place that I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there especially during the evenings when the day trippers have left the city.

Thank you agabbymama! I just wrote to inquire about a balcony. We reserved a room to hold 3 of us (the Jr. Suite). But now I want a balcony too.

I will let you know. Too bad it's sooo long from now.

It's not a true balcony. If you look at the photo of the hotel, it's the only one with a small balcony in the front. Just enough to open the doors and be able to smoke outside the hotel, if you ask me. Looks like all of 6 inches deep.

Archived