Hotels in Venice

We are going to Venice in April. Any suggestions for a good but moderately

priced hotel. Has anyone used Priceline ? We are also looking for some overnight tours out of Venice. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Moderately priced and Venice can't be spoken in the same sentence.

If you want moderately priced hotels, Mestre is about your only bet. I looked at Hotel Golden Tulip Tritone and Hotel Bologna in Mestre. Reasonably priced, and close to the train station too. If you want high priced hotels, then you can start looking in Venice.

Try Venere.com they have a map that shows you the location of the hotels. Once you find one you like, then look at tripadvisor.com to see reviews for the place.

I ended up with Ca Doge' right in Piazzale Roma (transportation hub) for Venice. Buses, taxis, cruise shuttles, and vaporetto stop too. But it wasn't cheap.

You may have better luck as you are going earlier than I am, however, if you are looking at April of '08, you are late getting started. A lot of the hotels already have no vacancy for October, let alone April. Good Luck!

We stayed for 3 nights in an interesting off beat small 4 room hotel in 2003 after our cruise in the Med on the Golden Princess. We really liked the location, in a more residental area of Venice but still near waterbus stops. Here is a link to it.

http://www.alloggibarbaria.it/gbindex.shtml

If it doesn't work take off the last section. It is called the "Alloggi Barbaria". I wouldn't bring all my luggage as it the rooms are on the second story so leave some of your bigger pieces at the the luggage storage area at the airport.

We stayed in the first room with the blue bedspread. It had a great bathroom with a really nice shower with lots of hot water. You control the A/C which is important in the summer and it has an icebox to chill your wine or beer.

Check out my review on Trip advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d529166-Reviews-Alloggi_Barbaria-Venice_Veneto.html

We really enjoyed staying in an area that actual local Venicians live.

Have a great next cruise.

Hi there

DH and I stayed in the RIo Alto which is also owned by the Bartolomeo and is only down the little street a bit.

This hotel is located very very close to the Rialto Bridge and 5 minutes walk from San Marco Square. We found it very convenient to the vaparetto stop at Rialto and all the stall and shopping just over the Rialto Bridge.

I believe we paid. 140 Euro a night with a canal view. We loved the location but it was a small although clean and well run hotel.

Here's the main website http://www.hotelbartolomeo.com/intro/index.php

Here is the website for the Rio Alto : http://www.rioalto.it/

I will mention that it's down some little windy sidewalks right off the San Bartolomeo Square but once you find it and know where it is, it's a very handy location.

Here's a picture of the view out our window.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68358&stc=1&d=1201297043

Tara

100_1487.jpg.3c5410702ec1250ff1dcaf90c56db827.jpg

"Moderately priced" is a relative term...

Moderately priced for Venice is different than moderately priced for Elko, Nevada or Greensboro, NC...

Venice is a very confined city and a very popular tourist destination...laws of supply and demand apply...and, well, you figure it out...

Personally, I would never stay in Mestre...it sort of misses the whole experience of staying IN Venice...But, OTOH, if a lot of the stuff YOU want to do is OUTSIDE of Venice, it may be a more reasonble place to stay...no matter how uninteresting and unexciting...

I believe there is just something special and magical about being in Venice itself...stumbling out of your hotel's front door and hopping on a Vaporetto or wandering the sidewalks and canals, eating at little outdoor cafes on small piazzas, browsing shops and watching people...

As to hotel prices, it also varies greatly by time of year...I've stayed at the Sofitel, the Capri and the Carlton --all near Piazzale Roma and the RR Station and would recommend any of the three...The Capri is likely the most reasonably priced of those three...Last visit, I stayed near the Piazza San Marco at the Anastasia--very well located and charming--a 17 room boutique hotel...I managed to get it for 130 Euro per night (very reasonable for Venice) but, of course, that was for July--which may be one of the lower cost months...

http://anastasia.hotelinvenice.com/

Good luck...

Check out the Antiche Figure. We were there in off-season (end of November) and we paid just under $200USD/night. I don't know what there rates are in April, but we really liked this 22 room hotel on the Grand Canal, across from the main train terminal (Ferrovia). The staff are great and they serve a very decent continental breakfast for only 5 Euro, which is a bargain in expensive Venice. The rooms are very nice and the hotel is air conditioned.

It is off the beaten path a bit, which we thought was a plus, but also across from an ACTV vaporetto stop and about a 30 minute walk to St. Marks.

See www.hotelantichiefigure.it/eng/index.asp and also check it out on Trip Advisor.

Have a great trip-Venice, though very expensive, is wonderul!

We have always stayed in B&B's in Venice and loved each one. You can

check out all of these on Tripadvisor. They are all "reasonably"

priced.

Pensione Accademia Miravage- beautiful, magical quiet location in

Dorsoduro, just off the grand Canal and 10 minutes from St. Mark's.

(about 170EU)

La Calcina- a perennial favorite, friendly staff, on the Giudecca

canal, great breakfasts. Also in Dorsoduro, 10 min walk to St. Marks.

Have stayed there twice but last spring found they were using a room

deodorizer that gave me a headache. (Didn't seem to bother anyone

else tho. Would be returning this year otherwise-about 150EU)

Ca' Angeli- we are staying there for the first time this fall for a

whole week! It is the number #2 rated B&B on Tripadvisor. We viewed

it when we were in Venice last spring and fell in love. Think it will

be the best so far....just comfy, quiet, perfect locaton right on the

Grand Canal by the Rialto bridge. Look at the photos on tripadvisor

and their website. We chose the smallest room for our stay because it

has a big terrace- and it's only 140EU breakfast tax included.

We love just sitting in the piazzas and enjoying the atmosphere,

parades of people, espresso and gelato. And the evening concerts in

St. Marks Square. There is so much to see and do- depending on your

time and interests, get Rick Steve's book and plan out your time

beforehand. And get a "Streetwise" folding map if you will be there

for more than a day. We find it an invaluable tool!

Best wishes....let me know where you decide to stay. :)

We stayed at the Palace Bonevecciata this past July. It was exquisite--spacious and beautifully decorated rooms, centrally located between Rialto and San Marco, helpful and patient front desk staff. I believe the room was about $250 though the exchange rate is not so favorable now. Check out other traveller's review on www.tripadvisor.com which is where we learned about it.

Moderately priced and Venice can't be spoken in the same sentence.

If you want moderately priced hotels, Mestre is about your only bet. I looked at Hotel Golden Tulip Tritone and Hotel Bologna in Mestre. Reasonably priced, and close to the train station too. If you want high priced hotels, then you can start looking in Venice.

For anyone that really wants to see Venice, but has waited too late in life and are mobility impaired, you can still do it if you stay in Mestre. The reason is that you can use land taxis or limos to your hotel and to the ship and not have to drag luggage across bridges to your hotel.

We stayed at Hotel Bologna in Mestre and it worked out great for us.

Here's a couple of suggestions.

I JUST received www.tripadvisor.com 's "BEST OF" lists and here are their Venice mentions.

Under "Hidden Gems" AND 'Best Bargains" was a the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo.

Under "Hidden Gems" only was the Residence Corte Grimani.

You might check these two out.

ALSO, at the TOP of their "Best Inns and B&B's" worldwide was the Locanda Orseolo. I've always been so impressed by the reviews of this place that I decided, should I ever have someone wanting to spend a few nights in Venice, that I would certainly suggest this place to them. Finally, I booked a couple in the fall of '07 on a Princess fall of '08 transatlantic cruise and have them booked there for a few nights!! As a B&B there is no TA commission and so, if this place does interest you, you would need to just email them directly and see if there is any availablity. They speak English so there won't be a language problem. However, this place is not cheap and may not even be an option this close to your travel date. It's my understanding that this place fills up way in advance.

Whatever you decide or wherever you stay, have a wonderful time!!

ONE MORE THING. I also have on file info on a convent called Istituto San Giuseppe. These are some of the comments from a review I read...

"I highly recommend this quiet, peaceful convent hotel to travelers wishing to stay in Castello in close proximity to Campo Santa Maria Formosa and San Marco"

"The rooms are sparklingly clean and very, very quiet" and the "bathrooms are all new" and "the beds are firm but comfortable".

For their VERY reasonable prices, there are "no extras like a bar, a fridge. or a TV". If a olace like this should interest you, I think you can find them on the internet. To book would most likely require a call directly to them so if you have someone who speaks Italian (one person mentioned having a problem communicating when they called) I would recommend getting their help. I do have their phone # if anyone is interested. Just remember, this place is very reasonable but also sparce sounding. If things like bellhops and room service are important, then this is not for you.

Again, good luck and happy travels!

I have not been in the hotel but remember walking by. It's close to the train station- not necessarily a bad location but not an area I would choose first.

It did look nice enough from the outside, but I would want to be more centrally located.

What dates in April are you looking for?

I just checked some sites with bogus April dates and Venice prices have put me in shock. The bad part is that your travel date is so close and Venice hotels - at least the best and most reasonable - are booked way in advance which doesn't leave you much choice.

As petoonya asked, what are your dates in April? Did you check the convent? Just curious Granted, it might not be something that appeals to you but at least you would be in a better spot for seeing all the sights.

priced hotel. Has anyone used Priceline ? We are also looking for some overnight tours out of Venice. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Jerry;

Jim and I were in Venice last April and stayed at a B&B half way between the Rialto Bridge and St. Marks Square. It was very comfortable with a good breakfast. The hosts spoke English and we were well treated. As long as you have no mobility problems, it would be great. Their web site is www.bareteri.com. We paid 340 euros for 2 nites - 2 people with a 5% discount for cash.

Diana

Thanks guys (or Girls) for your help. Actually, the dates are May 3 thru 6. because my wife decided she wanted to do Venice after the cruise rather than before. Being married for fifty years, I know better than to disagree. I don't think the convent will work. Does being near the train station pose a problem ?

Jerry

We have reservations in June at Hotel Olimpia, which is a Best Western. I have never been there, so can't give a recommendation, but you could look into it. It's near the Piazzala Roma and they say a few minutes walk to the Grand Canal.

Well, I found the list of hotel possibilities that I amassed for my couple cruising later this year.

I listed one previously mentioned here...Antiche Figure...have you checked it?

A couple of others are the Abbazia Hotel and the Lanterna di marco Polo.

ALSO, a place called Ca Leon Doro which may be a possibility for you. If you enter that name as a search, you can go down to the where it's listed "with" Venere.com. I did and it shows availabiltiy for your dates for 189 euros per night. It's got some good reviews and it's described as 'steps from St Marks Square' which you might prefer. There are other sites to book with but - through venere at least - there seems to be availibility.

Good luck! Oh, and watch out for those pigeons. I was there in February '64 with my now DH. He bought a paper cone of corn from a vendor and I stood there just holding it for a photo opt! Well, I was attacked and you can't see me in the photo for the pigeons.

Again, good luck!

I forgot to mention that Ca Leon Doro is a B&B and so at least you'll get breakfast!

One more thing, if you check this place on www.tripadvisor.com and click book, it shows 2 booking options...Orbitz and Venere. Orbitz says your dates are not available but they are with Venere. Lest you're confused or leery, these places have different allowances and so one could have used their's up and the other not. IF this place suites you, I wouldn't wait too long. And if you read Venere's 'rules', they are just as they are stated. I've used them (personally) and have had no problems.

I forgot to mention that Ca Leon Doro is a B&B and so at least you'll get breakfast!

One more thing, if you check this place on www.tripadvisor.com and click book, it shows 2 booking options...Orbitz and Venere. Orbitz says your dates are not available but they are with Venere. Lest you're confused or leery, these places have different allowances and so one could have used their's up and the other not. IF this place suites you, I wouldn't wait too long. And if you read Venere's 'rules', they are just as they are stated. I've used them (personally) and have had no problems.

Well....have to add something else to the mix.

Hotel Campiello. it's a Rick Steve's recommend. It is about 200 yards to St. Marks and about half that distance to the Bridge of Sighs. So close to everything yet still a very QUIET area.

They still have rooms available 170EU for an economy double and 220EU for a standard double on Venere, breakfast included.

Here are the reviews on Tripadvisor...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d235851-Reviews-Hotel_Campiello-Venice_Veneto.html

And the website is

http://www.hcampiello.it/inglese/index.php

Venere also some some very pleasing reviews.

On our last trip this spring our cruise buddies stayed here and loved it- very charming and location could not be more ideal. You may be able to get a better deal directly thru the hotel.

Venice is a walking city and to be close to the major sites, yet still in a quiet, less touristy area is a nice way to go. You'd have a long (but pleasant) hike where you are currently booked, and I don't think the area is nearly as nice. (I also believe that since it is a Rick Steve's recommend you can get a bit of a discount at Hotel Campiello if you ask.)

Good luck and let us know!

PS. The economy and standard rooms at this hotel are going to be really SMALL- as usual for much of Venice in the price range and time of year.

If you find a hotel that you are really interested in & it appears fully booked, it may be worth your while contacting the hotel directly as they may have some availibity or perhaps a cancellation. As mentionned above, different agents have different allocations & may have used theirs up.

I did this successfully for a hotel in Rome last year when it was reading fully booked. I have also booked my Venice Hotel independently..(the Antiche Figure) as this time I was looking for a family room for 4 & this isn't easy to do using Venere, Hotels.com etc.

Jerry

Lots of responses suggesting hotels, but I just re-read your post and saw you were also looking for overnight tours out of Venice. I like Viator.com and they do have some overnight tours outside of Venice. You might want to take a look.

http://www.viator.com/pasSearch.jspa?country=&region=522&activities=from&from_dd=1&from_yyyymm=4+2008&to_dd=30&to_yyyymm=4+2008&go=Go&from_mm=4&from_yyyy=2008&to_mm=4&to_yyyy=2008&topx=1-10&section=ttd&destinationID=522&categoryName=

If the link doesn't work, just go to Viator.com and put in Italy/Venice and the dates. They have about 3 pages of various tours.

Someone posted here a few months ago about staying by the airport at the Courtyard Marriott. Because we have points for a free night, we booked here.

If I remember correctly she said that it's convenient to drop off the luggage and then take a water taxi to go sightseeing. But how convenient is it to get to the port? We are only in Venice one night before our cruise.

Thanks in advance.

Archived