athens hotel

We stayed at the Parthenon Hotel http://www.airotel.gr/index.asp?a_id=323 and loved it. It is a nice, clean small hotel, half a block from the Akropoli metro station, half a block from the Antiquities Promenade, right under the Acropolis. Easy access to other parts of the city on the metro.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT trip!

We stayed at the Parthenon Hotel http://www.airotel.gr/index.asp?a_id=323 and loved it. It is a nice, clean small hotel, half a block from the Akropoli metro station, half a block from the Antiquities Promenade, right under the Acropolis. Easy access to other parts of the city on the metro.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT trip!

I have also stayed at the Parthenon and strongly recommend it. Enjoy.

You might want to google "Matt Barrett"--this is an American guy who lives in Athens, and he has the most amazing website for tourists, with everything you ever wanted to know about Greece in general and Athens in particular. Among other things, he recommends a hotel in Athens on his site--and was not paid for his recommendation, as I recall. While I didn't stay there myself (our hotel was booked by the travel agent as part of a package), I would definitely try it. We walked past it, and it was in a great location and looked very promising!

Matt's suggestions for shopping in Athens turned out to be excellent, FYI--another reason why I would check out this hotel of his.

You might want to google "Matt Barrett"--this is an American guy who lives in Athens, and he has the most amazing website for tourists, with everything you ever wanted to know about Greece in general and Athens in particular. Among other things, he recommends a hotel in Athens on his site--and was not paid for his recommendation, as I recall. While I didn't stay there myself (our hotel was booked by the travel agent as part of a package), I would definitely try it. We walked past it, and it was in a great location and looked very promising!

Matt's suggestions for shopping in Athens turned out to be excellent, FYI--another reason why I would check out this hotel of his.

Here is a link for Matt...

Athens, Greece: Survival Guide

We stayed at the Divani Palace Acropolis (with a tour) and the Herodian Hotel (on our own) while in Athens last month. We preferred the Herodian even though it was not as upscale as the Divani because the staff were friendlier. It is a block or two from the Acropoli Metro Station and we were able to get a good price on Priceline.

I would also recommend the Hera Hotel, near the Acropolis metro stop. Walking distance to the Acropolis and the Plaka. About 36 rooms, great rooftop restaurant with view of the Acropolis. Stayed there when visiting with my sister in July 2006. Took a group of 11 to Greece last year in September and we stayed there again. Everyone loved it.

http://www.herahotel.gr/

We're also looking for a hotel in Athens for August. In addition to Matt Barrett's website, sites such as tripadvisor.com, venere.com, booking.com, etc. post unbiased reviews (from lots of people who have stayed at the hotel) which I found to be very helpful. From reading the reviews, it seems that most of the hotels in the Acropolis/Plaka area of Athens have their strengths... and weaknesses. For example, a hotel may have spectacular views of the Acropolis, a delightful rooftop terrace, friendly/helpful staff, great breakfasts BUT come with very small/cramped rooms or hard (by American standards) uncomfortable beds or are located on a very busy/noisy street. Based on what we're looking for (and are willing to tolerate for the price), we'll probably go with the Herodion but the other hotels mentioned above seem very nice as well.

Yes, the streets can be noisy and full of traffic, but once you're in the hotel it's quiet. Ours was the Attalos, not in the Plaka, but close to the Ancient Agora, the Monastiraki Metro station and the flea market. We also found a charming hidden district close by as well. The rooms were plain, but comfortable with great A/C. And the requisite rooftop bar with a view of the Acropolis. Reasonably priced, nice people, professionally run, elevators. They kept our cruisewear luggage for us while we swanned off the islands for a few days before our cruise.

They kept our cruisewear luggage for us while we swanned off the islands for a few days before our cruise.

Hi Wendy,

We're planning to stay a few days post cruise with an overnight at one of the islands .... did you have a favourite?

Thanks.:)

We stayed at the AVA Hotel at the edge of the Plaka for 3 days post cruise in November, and were very happy with our choice. The rooms are very large and contain a kitchenette with table and chairs, a loveseat, a small balcony, and internet access in the room. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, and the rates were reasonable.

Mary

I can certainly recommend the Herodion Hotel. Quiet street and it is literally a 5-minute walk to the Acropolis. Rooms are small but clean and the breakfast is plentiful and inclusive. I would stay there again,no problem. Shelly

• 1 year later...
Any thoughts on this hotel? It has a rooftop pool (a high priority for us, with kids). We are also looking at the aegeon beach hotel, which looks beautiful, but seems a bit out of the way.

That's where we'll be staying in November but it's only for a night prior to the cruise

Archived