WOW - Found this on Ebay..thought I'd pass it on

mattsydnjoshsmom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150208608886&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

Looks legit and I even emailed and asked a question and he was quick to respond. Has 100% FB and they are all for these certificates.

We are looking at a Sept/Oct/Nov 08 sailing but I ran accross these and thought I would share in case anybody wants a great deal on a last minute cruise!

I don't personally know this person or seller....but it looks legit so I thought I'd pass it on.

The agency I worked with used these vouchers all the time for their intended use. I can 100% assure you that offering these for sale to the general public is against the program rules and that any one who buys one of these is taking a very real chance that it will not be honored.

Be careful. Paying $60 for that much off a cruise seems a bit 'generous'. Those other coupons (the $100 off ones) are useless if you're a past guest, and most other promotions (we tried). I would be very cautious of these as well.

Be careful. Paying $60 for that much off a cruise seems a bit 'generous'. Those other coupons (the $100 off ones) are useless if you're a past guest, and most other promotions (we tried). I would be very cautious of these as well.

These are different. They're intended for various types of corporate promotions. For example, maybe a car dealer decides to give away a free cruise with every new car sold this month.

Rather than having to figure out the cost of every cruise and deal with hassle, the dealer will buy these vouchers from an agency. The dealer will have to pay the full voucher price -- depending on the amount he wants to spend it will be five or six hunderd per voucher for a three-night sailng for two up to several thousand for longer sailings. When the client buys the car they are given the voucher, go to the agency that sold them to the dealer and redeems them. They also have to pay for the taxes/fees/surcharge.

So, the ebay seller says he has 190 of them to sell. If this really is a business that bought these for a minimum of $500 each it's going to walk away from an investment of about $100,000.

Scenario #2 is that this is a travel agency that got the bright idea of selling these vouchers on ebay making a profit right there plus, since the cruise has to be booked through the TA that issued them these's an additional commission when they're redeemed.

Which is the more likely ex[planation? Absolutely stupid businessman or scheming TA? Actually, I guess there could be a third option -- they're stolen.

CCL watches for these showing up on the web since the opportunity for fraud is definitely there. They do not want their good name dragged into these types of deals. Buyer beware.

Scenario #2 is that this is a travel agency that got the bright idea of selling these vouchers on ebay making a profit right there plus, since the cruise has to be booked through the TA that issued them these's an additional commission when they're redeemed.

It doesnt sound like #2, says this "seller (we dont know this is a TA)" will not book the cruise or help you to find the quote.

The free cruise was part of a promotion at my work and the owner of the business wants me to wholesale out these certificates before they expire. I am not mentioning the name of the business because we do not want people calling here. I am not offering my services to book the cruise for you and will not do any of the work to give you a quote or to book it.

By the way, I forgot to add that these vouchers are not meant to be some sort of discount program. CCL is certainly not promising that the cost shown on the voucher will be any less than the normal selling price.

For example, maybe a voucher for a three night cruise in an inside cabin for two will be sold to the car dealer for $600. The end user will be responsible for the taxes/fees/etc

Some weeks $300 p/p ($600 total) will be a little less than the regular selling price so the voucher holder gets a slightly good deal, some weeks it will be a little more so it's a slightly worse deal. But the voucher holder doesn't care since the car dealer paid the $600, not the holder.

When CCL sets the prices on these vouchers they make sure that the price is pretty close to the overall average selling price for that particular sail length and cabin category. Unless some sort of miracle happens you're not going to get much of a deal.

The whole purpose of the vouchers is to make promotions like the car sales one easy to administer -- the car dealer knows upfront what his cost will be and has to do nothing except hand over the voucher and give the client the phone number of the agency.

So advertising these as some kind of a discount program is in itself fraudulent.

Tempting...very tempting! But even with the feedback I am skeptical. But then again I'm skeptical of just about anything that looks to good to be true. If I were sailing soon, I would almost risk the $60 and try it. I wonder if it would be within ebays rules to contact one of the members who left feedback. Anyone know?

Tempting...very tempting! But even with the feedback I am skeptical. But then again I'm skeptical of just about anything that looks to good to be true. If I were sailing soon, I would almost risk the $60 and try it. I wonder if it would be within ebays rules to contact one of the members who left feedback. Anyone know?

I can't say that I know eBay's rules, but I wouldn't mind someone contacting me and asking me a question about another member (but then again, that is what the feedback is for)

I remember my neighbor getting ripped off by someone on eBay and he started contacting members (that left negative feedback for the jerk) and they ended up getting him kicked off of eBay. He never got in trouble for contacting them...

I am a seller on ebay. It is not against the rules to contact someone regarding the feedback they have left for a seller. It happens to me alot. Especially on large dollar items. Go ahead, ask questions. I suggest that you always pay using paypal. You will have a way of getting your money back if it's a scam.

I am a seller on ebay. It is not against the rules to contact someone regarding the feedback they have left for a seller. It happens to me alot. Especially on large dollar items. Go ahead, ask questions. I suggest that you always pay using paypal. You will have a way of getting your money back if it's a scam.

I think Ebay probably would consider it a scam just from the fine print the seller has posted, Here's some examples

Certificate says: This certificate is not redeemable for cash and it is void if sold for cash or other consideration.

Seller says: (If they ask, you received it as a "gift".)

Certificate says: Certificates are not valid for travel in Alaska, for special voyages, or during peak travel periods

Seller says: ANY Carnival cruise departing between Now and 14Mar2008. It does not say this specifically on the certificate, but I guess this is where you'll have to trust me

Certificate says: To make your reservations you must call the number listed on the front side of this certificate (the selling TA).

The seller has scratched out the TA info and says call CCL directly.

The whole deal stinks.

I can tell you, the deal doesn't stink at all! Lots of Ebayers sell things on ebay that say "cannot be sold for cash" (like free airline tickets and such). It's only good for very last minute cruises though cuz the tickets expire very soon.

Yes we always pay using paypal. I had thought of that as well, that paypal should cover this should the certificate not work as promised. Thanks for the info about contacting other members. Much appreciated!

Yes we always pay using paypal. I had thought of that as well, that paypal should cover this should the certificate not work as promised. Thanks for the info about contacting other members. Much appreciated!

Good luck with trying to get Paypal to refund your money due to a scam. We just lost a $70 deposit with a tour company in St. Martin that went out of business before our cruise. Paypal refused to refund our money saying that the seller of the tour was responsible.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=697695

I can tell you, the deal doesn't stink at all! Lots of Ebayers sell things on ebay that say "cannot be sold for cash" (like free airline tickets and such). It's only good for very last minute cruises though cuz the tickets expire very soon.
Just because something is sold does not make the deal legitimate. This is fraud, and anyone who participates knowlingly is a participant in that fraud.

Hi all, just called my pvp to see if I could use this to book a cruise in March. He never heard of it and said probably not, but wasn't for sure. He said most of the certificates he is familiar with, have names on them and it would get very complicated. Because of the feedback and so many already sold, I am tempted.

Just because something is sold does not make the deal legitimate. This is fraud, and anyone who participates knowlingly is a participant in that fraud.

It could be worse than a little ebay fraud. Someone paid approximately $100,000 for these vouchers. In the hands of a legitimate user they're the same as having $500 cash in your hand -- CCL has the money and is just waiting for the voucher holder to come forward and claim it.

Which is more likely -- this guy's "boss" just basically walking away from $100,000 instead of handing them out to employees, family members, etc.

Or, these things were stolen. I'm leaning this way because if they were legit and the "boss" wanted to dump them -- even at a huge loss -- why would he care if the buyer booked directly through CCL or used the TA whose contact info has been scratched off the voucher. Shouldn't matter one whit to the "boss." But if they're stolen it could matter a bunch as they would probably have been stolen from that TA they don't want you to contact. I can't think of any other possible reason.

So even if you don't mind defrauding CCL -- hey they're a big, rich company and you're still irked over the whole fuel surcharge thing -- keep in mind that there could possibly be some poor theft victim out $100,000. That's his money you're using to finance your vacation.

Hi all, just called my pvp to see if I could use this to book a cruise in March. He never heard of it and said probably not, but wasn't for sure.

...that doesn't surprise me. How many times have we heard on this board that when you call one PVP, you get one answer and then call another and get a totally different answer to the same question.

I just took a quick look and it seems Carnival pulled the plug on this one. The seller added a note at the bottom of the listing-posted today. I don't know if the "Buy it Now" works or not.

Would we still be able to see it if he quit selling them?

Sheila<-----------is just curious, because she sails next week:D

I just took a quick look and it seems Carnival pulled the plug on this one. The seller added a note at the bottom of the listing-posted today. I don't know if the "Buy it Now" works or not.

Would we still be able to see it if he quit selling them?

Sheila<-----------is just curious, because she sails next week:D

Its not good on already booked cruises, only new bookings. We were all curious even if I wouldnt buy it myself. Im always curious.

Iv sworn off buying anything over $50 (so Iv told myself!!!). Someone with 100% feedback and plenty of glowing feedback apparantly someone else (a 2nd party) convinced this seller he had access to some laptops decided to sell them under his perfect credit.

Well, the computers never showed up for shipping and instead of stopping the deal there, the seller found some bricks that weighed the same amount as the laptops and put them in Fed Ex boxes and shipped them to places in Canada and across the border to the U.S. Apparantly the bricks were to buy time until everyone had paid him. He gave everyone real Fed Ex shipping confirmations and delivery was made to many of the buyers.

One of the buyers his brother was in the FBI and someone knew someone in the police and someone else lived near the seller and everyone started to contact each other and exchanged emails before ebay pulled the auction. If a auction is fraud all ebay does is pull the auction so you cant get any more information and wash their hands of the whole deal. They sent me a email the day after I paid the seller advising me not to pay him. 3 days after the auction?? thats really great of ebay.

the seller paid us all back to avoid going to jail. with so many of us the police moved in on him heavier than if he defauded just one person.

paypal closed his account and ebay removed the seller and left us on our own.

anyway, yes for sure you can contact other buyers!!! I still cant believe someone would pay Fed Ex to ship all those real bricks to give ebay and paypal proof he delivered to us.

I can laugh now and say lesson learned. I just dont buy anything expensive on ebay or using paypal. they removed the seller as active and closed his paypal account, that didnt help us.

Archived