Question Re: Pride/LA

sassycruiser

Hi,

We are booked on the Pride leaving 2/13/05. What time can you reasonably book a return flight on Sunday 2/20? I don't want to be sitting at the airport but I don't want to cut it too close. We are thinking Orange County airport instead of LAX because of traffic. Does Carnival have shuttles to Orange County or only LAX?

Thank you for your help!

If you book an early return flight (I think before 11:00 am), you can disembark early. When I sailed on the Ecstasy in June, I booked an early return flight for my mother and we were able to get off the ship by 8:15.

If you don't want to book an early flight, you need to plan that it is possible that you might not be off the ship until 11:00 - 11:30 and plan your flight time from there.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise

With all due respect to Kathy, I think a 11:00am flight is cutting it a little thin.

It'll take a little longer to get to Orange Country Airport than LAX.

Allowing to be at the airport at least an hour before your flight and the travel time to get there you'd have to leave the ship at 8:45, which is certainly possible, but I wouldn't want to have to count on it. ;)

Hey Gary,

It's actually a toss up between the locations. OC it only 2.5 miles further than LAX. And it is a Sunday rather than a week-day.

Starting from:1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802-6331 Arriving at:John Wayne Airport Orange County SNA, Santa Ana, CA Distance:24.8 milesApproximate Travel Time:36 mins

Starting from: 1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802-6331 Arriving at: Los Angeles International Airport LAX, Los Angeles, CA Distance:22.4 milesApproximate Travel Time:30 mins

So, for me (not necessarily everyone) it would be a do-able. But, if sassycruiser feels it would be too much of a rush job, she might wish to book a flight around 3 PM.

Here is the problem.

We are flying AA because we have vouchers from when they bumped us on our return flight from Hawaii. We live in Detroit. The leaving 2:00 PM flight from Orange County doesn't get us in until 11:41 PM on Sunday night. We really need to get up for work and school the next day.

I was surprised to see the comment about how LAX is closer. Someone I work with who is from the area told me the traffic is so bad out of LAX that it is much easier to fly into/out of Orange County.

I actually would rather get on an early flight but I was worried I couldn't get off until 11:00 or after. Do you just request early disemarkation?

Thanks for all the help. We have sailed NCL 8 times so we feel comfortable with NCLs policies so we need a little help with Carnival!

Sassy,

Just show your airline tixs to the purser and they'll make all the arrangements for early disembarkation (give you the proper colored disembarkation tags, etc).

If given a flight option, I'd take the later disembarkation. 11:00 is cutting it too thin. Especially if there should be a disruption of the time table of events on board. Maybe they might have a problem with immigration, maybe arrive late because of storms or mechanical problems, etc. Of course there's always that good ole "tanker jack-knifed on the 405". :D Allow yourself a little extra time beats paying that fee for a change in your airline reservation. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, Hurricane Javier is rolling up and just off the coast of Baja California right now. Earlier this week the PRIDE was in the Sea of Cortez, probably making a Loreto port stop (not part of her normal itinerary) . I suspect because she didn't want to get in the way of Hurricane Javier. :)

We booked a 3:00 flight out of LAX to Denver after our Pride cruise in July. I made reservations ahead of time on Super Shuttle to get from the ship to the airport so when we got off the ship we went to an area where they were directing the various shuttle services, gave them our name, and were on our very own suppershuttle within 15 minutes.

We actually got off the ship by 10:00 and were able to catch an earlier flight from LA to Denver.

From what I remember folks telling me when I asked the questions about a return flight, I was told no earlier than 2:00 to play it safe.

Elise

I know - there is always the unexpected! I hear lots of stories - none have ever happened to me but you never know.

My husbands grandmother used to always say you should leave for the airport two hours early because what if you got a flat. You can always sit in the bar at the airport. We always laughed at her - but guess what - we always leave early for the airport.

Thanks everyone!

Here is what I ended up doing - booking in and out of LAX. Flying in Saturday afternoon (in case of snow, etc in Detroit/Chicago). Back out of LAX on Sunday at 11:48 am. Its still a little early for comfort, but I will ask for early disembarkation, hope for the best. Our other option was to take Monday off school/work which wasn't an option for our son or me.

Does Carnival let you carry your own bags off?

Does Carnival let you carry your own bags off?
Yes, Sassy, but those self-assisting their disembarkation go AFTER the early-flight disembarkers. Would maybe speed up your exit if you were an early disembarker plus self-assist, however, since you wouldn't have to look for your bags. :)

Archived