New boarding rules for U.S. ports

LHT28

Just saw this on seatrader

New US rules spark earlier check-in requirements

24/1/2008

Starting Feb. 18, cruise ships sailing from U.S. ports will be required to transmit passenger and crew manifests to Customs and Border Protection no later than 60 minutes before sailing.

Oceania Cruises is requiring passengers on Regatta voyages from Miami, currently the line’s only U.S. departures, to be aboard 90 minutes ahead of sailing time.

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=13443

free to join

It's true! Your Homeland Security has added more paperwork!! All cruise departures from a US port have to transmit passenger & crew at least 60 minutes prior to departure. No last minute boardings allowed!!!!!

Homeland Security - Arguably the biggest boondoggle to hit the U.S. in some time. And that surely includes the competent TSA - not! Just when you think that those TSA darlings can't do anything dumber, they surprise you and do it.

Does anyone really feel safer with the TSA looking out for us? Incompetence personified.

Hi Folks. Sorry, but am I missing something? What is wrong asking the passengers to be on board one and a half hours prior to departure??? The lifeboat muster is usually an hour or 45 minutes prior to sailing.

I don't think much of some of our airport security issues (when they pulled my 94 year old Mother out of the line to be searched--"she was picked" and I saw others who "I won't describe easily passed through Security that possibly should have been pulled aside and checked." I won't elaborate, but the point is...why is 90 minutes a problem?

I don't want to be slammed. I'd just be interested in what your comments might be????

Hi Folks. Sorry, but am I missing something? What is wrong asking the passengers to be on board one and a half hours prior to departure??? The lifeboat muster is usually an hour or 45 minutes prior to sailing.

I don't think much of some of our airport security issues (when they pulled my 94 year old Mother out of the line to be searched--"she was picked" and I saw others who "I won't describe easily passed through Security that possibly should have been pulled aside and checked." I won't elaborate, but the point is...why is 90 minutes a problem?

I don't want to be slammed. I'd just be interested in what your comments might be????

The vast majority of people are on the ship well before that 90 mins. The problem I can see, is if, for instance a plane is late, carrying several passengers. After all, if it's just two people dawdling, I say, leave 'em. lol

Now the ship has a choice of sailing on without the folks on the delayed plane, forcing them to catch up with the ship at the next port, or making everyone wait an extra 60 minutes after they let those people on the boat. (As I understand it, if they allow late boarding, they have to re-transmit the manifest, and then wait 60 minutes to depart). And in some busier ports, that isn't even an option, as the boats have to leave by a certain time, or miss their slot, and I assume, go to the back of the line for departure.

I just posted the information ...I do not have a problem with the time.

Most people want to be on board at noon anyway ..the only problem I can see if there is a flight delay.

I believe theres confusion here

The new rules require that one is registered 90 minutes before departure

If you have already registered all your details on line well ahead of the cruise theres not a problem

apart from which most folk like getting on a cruise ship early so they can have lunch

I believe theres confusion here

The new rules require that one is registered 90 minutes before departure

If you have already registered all your details on line well ahead of the cruise theres not a problem

apart from which most folk like getting on a cruise ship early so they can have lunch

Actually I believe the rule states that they can not allow anyone to board after they have submitted their manifest. It really is a problem for people who have a flight delay. Guess the only reasonable thing is to fly in the night before. Could be a good reason to this rule - the hotels benefit and so does the local economy in every port!

Archived