R/T Mercury Hawaii New Rules

Jimsgirl

Does anyone know if the new rules will affect the October sailing R/T Hawaii of the Mercury ?

Th itinerary was supposed to be a short stop in Ensanada, the new rule will insist that we stay there overnight?

Perhaps those sailing at this time have some info on this.

IMO this new rule is a disgrace, it is for the benefit of just one cruise line NCL who do not go to that port anyway on their Hawaii itineraries..

Does anyone know if the new rules will affect the October sailing R/T Hawaii of the Mercury ?

Th itinerary was supposed to be a short stop in Ensanada, the new rule will insist that we stay there overnight?

Perhaps those sailing at this time have some info on this.

IMO this new rule is a disgrace, it is for the benefit of just one cruise line NCL who do not go to that port anyway on their Hawaii itineraries..

Hi Jimsgirl !

While I could be wrong on this, I do not believe a final decision has been made. There are several threads on CC about this item. If this change becomes reality, there are so many questions that need to be answered, and would be a huge pain in the neck for most Cruiselines. Note that I said most Cruiselines, and not all Cruiselines :)

I strongly feel that this change may have started out with dubious intentions, but got completely blown into a very bad idea. If this does happen, I believe the new rule would require a 48 hour stay in Ensenada. Not only that, but it will have massive changes ahead for all itineraries, not only Hawaii. If enacted, it could affect other regions such as the Caribbean as well.

I have often said that my dream job, would be to create itineraries for Celebrity. If this change happens, I wouldnt want to be in that person's shoes. It will probably create all sorts of headaches for many Cruiselines.

I feel it is safe to say this change would hurt the West Coast far more than the East Coast. For our West Coast friends, I surely hope this change doesn't happen, at least as the proposal stands now. Stay Tuned !

Andy is right. No final decisions made as to if or when it will happen. There is a huge thread about it here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=687517.

From my reading as an interested party with two cruises coming up that could be affected (Mercury R/T to Hawaii next year and Infinity Alaska R/T from Seattle in June), one of the things that occurs is not only the 48 hour rule, but the more than 50% in foreign ports rule. That will really mess up the R/T Hawaii trip. It seems crazy to me because the ways that the cruise lines would have to amend their itineraries will be detrimental to US ports.

I know there are a number of people really pretty upset by the proposal. I take a more philosophical view and say whatever will be will be, but I'm watching it closely, especially for next year's trip when I need to sort out airfare.

Phil

At this point, I looks as if they have you leaving Oahu earlier and spending 5 hours in Ensenada.

Rick, when I first booked the Hawaii trip it was the usual 11pm to 11.59pm stop in Ensenada and then X changed it to 7pm to 11.59pm, presumably following initial rumblings. It now seems as if the authorities haven't bought that one and are preparing to take it further.

Phil

I have been following the thread on a daily basis as we are planning to book a RT Hawaii cruise for 09. Some have talked about sailing out of Vancouver of Mexico for Hawaii instead of US ports that could work out. But on the other hand look at all the jobs affected in the US ports including shorter visits in Hawaiian islands. Only NCL (who we would not choose for an Hawaiian cruise)

will benefit from these new regulations.

Bev

So far no decision has been made on this and it looks like one will be quite a way out yet. Still getting comments and position papers, and knowing the speed with which our legislative wheels turn and the changes in course along the way, it is way to early to get concerned about this - relax and enjoy planning for your cruise:) :)

This isn't legislation, but a reinterpretation of an existing law. The Customs and Border Protection agency can put it into effect anytime they so choose.

There's more than a few posts that CBP has said this will happen sooner rather than later.

What's interesting is that NCLA is the one requesting the change through MARAD and it will hurt NCL as much as any other cruise line.

I'm sure the lawyers from a few states and cruiselines are ready to pounce as soon it it goes into effect.

:mad: Hi,

Give some bureaucrats some semblence of authority and power......and look what happens !!!!

The ultimate downside of the proposed changes to the PVSA would be decimating, no less, for the entire industry; both directly and by way of the side effects on all the auxiliary industries so tightly connected with the cruise industry. A huge number of current itineraries FLA-Carribean ( south-east-west)as well as Texas-Carribean(west and south) plus the great majority of the Alaska cruises in their present format would no longer be feasible, at all, period...!! End of story!! Of course, we all understand what it will be doing for the California-Hawaii roundtrippers: likely kill most of them....

But, hey....who says Government bureaucrats have to think this far ?? NCL, the alleged ''s***-disturber'' behind all that, would suffer as much, IF NOT MORE , from the modifications it's pressing for....and they're by far the weakest link in the cruise chain.

Go figure !!!

Oh well.....There's always Europe !!!

Cheers

:eek:

Archived