Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

Len 3,

When is your cruise? We have booked the Hotel Continental in July for 2 nights. I will write a review when I get back!

We're not cruising on this one until April, 2009, so we should have plenty of time.

In our travels in Italy we used Venere.com to find hotels. We are very pleased with the hotels and bed and breakfasts we have booked through them. Post cruise we are going to stay at Aquamarina Hotel in Santa Susana. It has a good rating and the price is very good. Check it out.:)

Judee

Hi,

We stayed at the Continental Barcelona last month with two other couples. We all had "Balcony Ramblas" rooms on the 2nd floor (3rd floor to us.) for 112 Euros apiece. It is a seure, clean, comfortable place with very freindly helpful people in a great location.

Two people can sit at the table on the balcony and watch all the action below. And I do mean action! This is a party town and boy do they know how to party.

John

We spent 1 night post cruise at the Hotel Continental Palacete and found it to be excellent. It was very central and clean, though rooms were small and very pink! The free snack buffet was great, esp for drinks, and the 2 free internet terminals were a blessing after the cruise. I could certainly recommend it.

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Central for 3 nights last May and loved it. We've booked the Hotel Regina for 1 night post cruise later this year. Both are very central and both received very good reviews on Trip Advisor :)

Another vote for the Continental Palacete. We stayed 4 nights pre cruise. We had to wait until 9pm before our train left after the cruise and were wondering what to do with our bags for 12 hours, but they let us dump them in their store room and have full use of the hotel facilities for free! As said, very pink, but clean and really helpful staff.

Simon

but we are taking Rick Steve's recommendation and booking a room with a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas at the Hotel Continental.

We just got back and stayed at the Hotel Continental. I wouldn't stay there again. Good thing it was for only two nights. Or we would of found something else. We arrived at 9:00 pm after a very long 24 hours of travel - needed a shower. Both soap dispensers empty at the sink and in the shower! So, empty you couldn't even get the soap off the wands. Desk guy didn't know where to look for soap. So - just a rinse of shower. Oh the BIG problem. Get to our exteremly tight cramped room, open up the toilet lid - Nice big surprise there for us! Can't someone flush? Was it even looked at? Did it even get cleaned? Very yuck!!

Umm, the breakfast buffet..... I am not sure what all it was they served. lol a bunch of dried stuff? lol If someone knows what it was, please post. I know one was dried oatmeal? The bottled water was great... even though they were completly out when we arrived at 9:00 pm. So we got a bottle or two in the morning.

I am not usually picky - BUT good grief - put some soap in the dispensers and clean the toilets!!

missty

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Phoenix and Mitchel_Travels. I have been looking at the sites and wondering when my dates would open up. I will email instead. It might be kind of sad to worry about this so far out as we are not leaving until around this time next year but I am trying to make sure we can secure the best possible option for my family. Thanks again.

We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and stayed at the Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya (two days pre-cruise and one day post-cruise. I was very pleased with the accommodations, and would definitely stay there again. There is a grocery store next door to the hotel and the subway station is across the street. You can also catch the Hop-on, Hop-off bus behind the subway station.

I stayed at Continental Palacete last year for one night post-cruise and it was fine. Small room, but all I needed was a place to leave my bags and rest my head for one night. The food was fine, I don't think they intended it to be the main source for all three meals, although it could be done.

This year I stayed at the Hotel Colon, which shares the plaza with the Cathedral. It was wonderful. I had a single room (solo traveler) that looked small in the photo, but was actually quite large. Plenty of cupboards if you plan to stay a while, bathroom with shower and jacuzzi tub, mini-fridge. Best of all was the private terrace - sadly, it rained most of the time so I did not enjoy it as much as I would have liked. I booked it through hotels dot com (and posted a review) and the cost was just over $200 US. Given the time of year, I was comfortable with the rate.

Next time, I don't have to think twice - I'll go back to the Hotel Colon!

Enjoy Barcelona and try to be at the Cathedral on Saturday around 18:00-18:30, you may get to see the sardana - it was magical!

Liz

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Phoenix and Mitchel_Travels. I have been looking at the sites and wondering when my dates would open up. I will email instead. It might be kind of sad to worry about this so far out as we are not leaving until around this time next year but I am trying to make sure we can secure the best possible option for my family. Thanks again.

I was stressing about our hotel too which was why I finally sent the email. I like to control everything so I try to get as much as possible taken care of as soon as I can. It keeps my stress level down and, when something comes up that I can't control, I remind myself of everything else that's all set and seem to roll with it better.......... I know some people think it's dumb, but It works for me!

Have a great trip!

I always book our hotels as soon as the hotel will allow us to. Some times you luck out and they give you the current year prices for a reservation a year out, if the prices go up its a good thing, if they go down or there is a special, you can usually get the newer price. If the larger booking sites don't let me book, I contact the hotel directly and ask them when I can book. We booked Venice and Rome next May in April this year.

Archived