how to dress for a cruise in the med. nov.

sashababy

We've taken two Oceania Med cruises in October and November, each for two weeks. I like to mix and match, so, for the evenings, I take black silk pants, khaki silk pants, a black & white skirt, and a black skirt, somewhat dressy blouses & sweaters. My personal rule is that any top I take must go with at least three bottoms.

We found great variation in the daytime weater. Some days, capris, short sleeved tops and sandals were fine, and somedays I was chilly in long pants, shoes & socks, a long sleeved top over a T, and a rain jacket.

The ports of call make a difference. It will be cooler in places like Rome, Florence, Venice, Istanbul, etc. and warmer in the Greek isles, Sicily, Barcelona.

On our 12-day November mediterranean cruise, I took a mix of long and short sleeve t-shirts, a couple of cardigans and a hoodie to throw over if needed, and a rain jacket with a zip-out liner (which I never really needed except for evenings in Rome after the cruise).

I wore mostly pants although I did bring one pair of capris.

• 6 months later...

I am comfortable with evening choices, since the boat is usually cool anyway. But daytime in the med in fall has me puzzled. I think it might be that I am in such summer mode right now, but in my head I am thinking lightweight skirts and 3/4 sleeve boat neck tees. Will I be cold? Do Europeans in the med wear darker heavier fabrics in the fall?

I am comfortable with evening choices, since the boat is usually cool anyway. But daytime in the med in fall has me puzzled. I think it might be that I am in such summer mode right now, but in my head I am thinking lightweight skirts and 3/4 sleeve boat neck tees. Will I be cold? Do Europeans in the med wear darker heavier fabrics in the fall?

As to whether you'll be cold, again, it depends on your ports. The Southern Med could still be warm enough for skirts and t-shirts. More northern ports may be cooler. Look at average temperatures for the month for each port at weather.com, for example, to get an idea of highs and lows.

Europeans definitely wear darker colors and dress for the season. Of course, there will likely be plenty of tourists still around too.....

We did a cruise Venice to Barcelona last year mid Nov. In Venice, I was really sorry I didn't bring my winter jacket and gloves. It was very cold especially in the evening. In fact it was so cold that the evening gondola ride (cruiseship excursion since the gondolas usually are available during the daylight hours during the late fall/winter) was cancelled.

Archived