Climbing Dunns River Falls

Mydnite

I really want to go and see this, but I don't think I will be confident climbing the falls due to knee surgery (an being on the cuddly side). I am fine with stairs and have no health issues, is there nay way I can visit without climbing the falls in the water?

I think I remember reading that you can climb next to the falls rather than in them, can anyone confirm that is possible?

Yes there is a path that runs along side the falls. Sometimes it is steps, sometimes is is a slope...but not too steep. There are some wood deck areas providing an overlook and a couple of spots where you can cross from the stream to the path....you can get wet in pools along the falls stream or if you decide to try the climb, and change your mind these provide bail out options.....

http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/about_us_link.htm

Hi Capt BJ,

My wife also had surgery recently so she is looking to use the stairs. Can you provide a little more info on "bail out options". Also, is the stairs only on one side of Dunn's River falls? Also, do they have stairs on both sides? Myself -- I'm getting wet and climbing the falls!! Finally, will my wife be safe while climb the falls?

John

The stairs are only on one side. There are also several places where you can get off of the falls if you want and back on the path.

It's fun but a little challenge; if you have knee problems or recent surgery it might not be the best option. You could try it for a short while to see how it goes and then get out if it's too tough.

If you can't climb it's still interesting to see the falls and watch the climbers. There's also a small beach at the bottom that is ok.

Hi Capt BJ,

My wife also had surgery recently so she is looking to use the stairs. Can you provide a little more info on "bail out options". Also, is the stairs only on one side of Dunn's River falls? Also, do they have stairs on both sides? Myself -- I'm getting wet and climbing the falls!! Finally, will my wife be safe while climb the falls?

John

Bail out: Unlike a roller coaster where once the bar drops you are on for the full ride, despite what your mind tells you at the top of the first hill....at DRF you can start climbing from the bottom but if after a it you change your mind for what ever reason there are places you can cross over to the path. AKA 'bail out' of the climb....alto you still need to climb the path/stairs back to the top.

"will ur wife be safe?" all I can say is I've climbed them literally hundreds of times myself - as have my crews - and my wife and kids. The climb can be a hand holding slow walk up a wet path....or an adventure up the middle. When the crew goes there's always a bruise or two but this is a bunch of kids coupled with beer....the most serious problem is typically the loss of some sunglasses. If you find my RayBan aviators that I lost in 1987.... No one I've been there with has ever suffered a broken bone or even a serious sprain....and we don't follow the guides :p . If you follow the guide damn near anyone can do this safely....water slides are more dangerous.

You are walking to the side of it...but the rocks are pretty slippery....and at some points you are in the water. The excursion description really doesnt mention that it can be harder for some people

here is a picture from our trip where you can see people climbing the falls

n500035095_71_2399.jpg.b2667810158a26944e7ad92e19ee9b64.jpg

While not that difficult to do safely, it is a climb up a fairly gentle rocky slope. Those with physical limitations may want to look at others doing it first from the various platforms along the way. Note, also, while there is a path and stairs, the distance you have to walk down and climb back up is pretty much the same (unless you arrive by tour boat, of course), so there is a similar level of exertion involved (although dry instead of wet). The beach a the bottom and the pool where the falls meet the ocean is still a nice place to visit and relax, even if you don't do the climb.

Archived