catamarans and motion sickness

cruisinnow

My family is interested in doing the catamaran snorkel with turtles and shipwrecks. A few of us tend to get motion sick. I was sick on a pirate type ship in St. Thomas a few years back. Was wondering if the catamarans were smoother then the tall sail ships, as I would hate for us to end up not feeling well. :( Thanks for any input!

My husband is the same way, he was sick once on a catamaran and won't go on one again. I think it's funny since we're on a cruise. So I found another option on a power boat, if that works for you. I found a in link here for a turtle and shipwreck tour on a powerboat - my husband said he'd do that one. Email Stephen at thriller-ocean-tours@caribsurf.com He's been extrememly helpful and was recommended here.

My family is interested in doing the catamaran snorkel with turtles and shipwrecks. A few of us tend to get motion sick. I was sick on a pirate type ship in St. Thomas a few years back. Was wondering if the catamarans were smoother then the tall sail ships, as I would hate for us to end up not feeling well. :( Thanks for any input!

The Cats in Barbados ususally sale the very calm waters of the west coast. I remember from my surfing days the west coast usually had a ground swell around the Christmas season and that may bother you on a cat. It wont be rough sea but just slow rolling swells not very large but can move the boat.

The Cats in Barbados usually sail the very calm waters of the west coast.

He's not kidding.

I too am not the greatest sailor, stomach-wise

but I can tell you that there's very little to worry about,honestly!

Drink ginger ale whole day if you like(it helps!)

Keeping a full stomach,deliberately helps a lot,too.

Catamarans are inherently stable twin-hulled vessels...

if you get sick on a cat, you got REAL sensitive motion-sickness problems!

West Coast coastal cruises are always in nearly-dead-flat conditions

-that's why they do them, on that coast!

And if West Coast is thought to be a bit swelly, they do South Coast instead

- or just hang around big Carlisle Bay (in between the two)

Operators of coastal cruises are conscious of the problem

since they don't like patrons to be icky-sicky on their decks.

- it peels the paint.:D

Stop worrying! ;)

I think it probably depends on the seas and the catamaran and how rocky is too much for you. It seems that whenever we're sailing with the wind (as opposed to motor power) the boat, be it a single hull sail boat or a catamaran, gets a little rocky at times with the wind catching the sails. For that reason I'd think a power boat would be best - although it is always dependant on how smooth the seas are. While the west coast is usually relatively smooth, it isn't always.

Archived