Millennium - RCI comparison

glgolfer

First time on X after 25 on RCI over 20 years.

First time on Celebrity after 25 on RCI since 1987. All of the following is just the opinions of my wife and myself. I'll be post most days if not all.

Review of the Celebrity Millennium and comparison with Royal Caribbean along with precruise stay.

26 January 2008: Hit the road about 0800 on Saturday the 26th. Easy drive to Fort Lauderdale from Weeki Wachee. Arrived Hampton Inn at 1430 and settled in our very nice and comfortable room.

Met friends for dinner at Legal Seafoods at the Sawgrass Mills Mall.

27 January, 2008: Took the 1000 shuttle from the Hampton to the pier. (Free shuttle, parking and pickup)

Arrived at the pier, dropped off our luggage and were almost the front of the line in the elite waiting section. Started boarding about 1140, no problems through the x-ray and Judy & I were the first 2 on the ship.

Found the Ocean Grill for lunch. (**** will denote comparisons between X and RCI)

**** We prefer the separate stations on RCI to the long cafeteria lines on Celebrity.

Did like the trays instead of the dishes on RCI. Food was comparable.

Found our FV (family ocean view with veranda) at 1300. Cabin in good shape and everything was there - coupon books, connections invitation, ice, robes, the "good" lotions and shampoos, (4 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs,1 small and 1 large table on the balcony), larger TV in the bedroom with the interactive feature with a VCR, small TV with a VCR in the "living" room with no interactive. 2 rooms with 270 sq ft and balcony with 240 sq ft. Loved the cabin.

2 doors to our cabin as we have our own private hallway. Doorbells at each door and the hallway is perfect for storing our luggage,

****We like the cabin storage on the new RCI ships better than X, not enough shelves in the bathroom or cabin, no shelves by the mirror. Otherwise, the storage was more than adequate. Little irritant was when the desk chair was pulled out there was no room between it and the bed. Also, no lights in the closets. Judy says the hairdryer on the wall in the bathroom is not as efficient as RCI’s in the drawer. Also, keeps her in the bathroom so no one else can use it. No full length mirrors.

Bed was very comfortable and our very attentive cabin attendant brought me one of the full body pillows.

We got our luggage before 1500, very fast service.

Rough water leaving port, As I was very tired, the ride was bothering me, so I had to leave dinner before I could try the prime rib. Ordered a club sandwich and some cookies from room service later and it arrived fairly quickly, Both the sandwich and cookies were very good.

Put out the breakfast order for 0800 to 0830

28 January, 2008: and it arrived at 0830 (delivered by our cabin attendant). Everything was there, warm enough and all good. The toast was soft, not like the hard as a rock on RCI most of the time.

After a good night’s sleep, no more problems with the ride.

Judy got lunch at the Aqua Spa and I tried a hamburger and hotdog at the pool café.

Judy’s was good, mine was OK, but won’t get them again.

Signed up for a wireless package with Bob in the internet café, got our 20% extra minutes for the elite coupon, no problem. Couldn’t get a connection either in the cabin or the balcony. Went to one of the hot spots in the Ocean Café and had no problem there. Fairly fast connection. Surprised me.

Judy went to Elegant Tea. Very elegant. Good choice of teas–unfortunately bags instead of steeped in the pot. Lots of sandwich choices–shrimp, salmon, roast beef, cucumber. Then scones with strawberries and cream, cheesecake, chocolate cake. Many waiters, very attentive. White gloves; the bit. Most gentlemen in jackets. Quite enjoyable.

**** Nothing comparable on RCI. X wins.

I watched an old western on the laptop in the cabin. (Brought along a package of 100 old westerns we never have time to watch at home).

Formal night. Surprised most men at early seating in suits instead of tuxes. Actually more tuxes on RCI on the cruises we’ve been on. Dinner for Judy was oysters rockefeller and Romaine with arugula and Celebrity dressing.

Mine was goat cheese and potatoes gratin, chilled melon and mint soup and caesar salad.

Both had a wonderful sorbet and tournedos of beef. Everything was very good and the beef was excellent.

The show was the singers and dancers performing excerpts from various Broadway shows. I thought it was excellent, too loud for Judy even though we were sitting in the top balcony in the last row.

**** Big strike against X as the bar staff continued serving drinks during the whole show. People standing behind us kept getting drinks and talking through the whole show. Believe RCI shuts off bar service during the show.

Comments on the theater. Lot of steps on the main theater deck with 3 or 4 rows without a handrail. Would be difficult to use in rough seas.

****Much prefer the small tables on X instead of the holes in the arms on RCI that only hold the stemmed glasses.

Back to the cabin to a rose and chocolates from the Captain’s Club.

****Water in bathroom/shower only lukewarm, not hot enough. Water much hotter, much faster on RCI.

Done for the night.

Thanks Paul for that review..........some good,some bad....but very fair......The tea sounds very nice......along with some of the food choices you had(can you tell Im hungry right now??:p )....

Anyway,have fun today and I'll look forward to your next post.......

Paul,

Nice fair and balanced review (and besides, I agree with what you say, lol),

but I wanted to see what the CEL board's responses were. When I click on your post on CEL board, no posting appears. Maybe you want to check it out!

Rita (sorry, just noticed himself was signed in here)

Hi Paul and thanks for taking us along on your cruise. Surprised to learn that formal night wasn't as formal as being on an RCI ship. Could it possibly be the itinerary?

Enjoy yourself and look forward to your next report. The comparisons are quite interesting.

Paul,

Nice fair and balanced review (and besides, I agree with what you say, lol),

but I wanted to see what the CEL board's responses were. When I click on your post on CEL board, no posting appears. Maybe you want to check it out!

Rita (sorry, just noticed himself was signed in here)

Hi Bill,:) for some reason the review never showed up on

the Celebrity board.:eek:

Paul, good review. Glad you and Judy are enjoying yourselves.

Millie is our favorite ship - this makes me miss her! Enjoy your time on her. Try the waffles at the back of Ocean Grill. To me, X wins hands down on food. But I've only been on 1 RCCL ship so far and 3 different X. Looking forward to expanding my RCCl vs X comparison in the coming months.

Hi Bill,:) for some reason the review never showed up on

the Celebrity board.:eek:

Paul, good review. Glad you and Judy are enjoying yourselves.

It's a strange one Lois. Looks like over ninety attempts have been made to access the post but when they do, nothing shows up. Sounds like still another glitch on the boards but one I have never encountered before.:confused:

First time on X after 25 on RCI over 20 years.

First time on Celebrity after 25 on RCI since 1987. All of the following is just the opinions of my wife and myself. I'll be post most days if not all.

Review of the Celebrity Millennium and comparison with Royal Caribbean along with precruise stay.

26 January 2008: Hit the road about 0800 on Saturday the 26th. Easy drive to Fort Lauderdale from Weeki Wachee. Arrived Hampton Inn at 1430 and settled in our very nice and comfortable room.

Met friends for dinner at Legal Seafoods at the Sawgrass Mills Mall.

27 January, 2008: Took the 1000 shuttle from the Hampton to the pier. (Free shuttle, parking and pickup)

Arrived at the pier, dropped off our luggage and were almost the front of the line in the elite waiting section. Started boarding about 1140, no problems through the x-ray and Judy & I were the first 2 on the ship.

Found the Ocean Grill for lunch. (**** will denote comparisons between X and RCI)

**** We prefer the separate stations on RCI to the long cafeteria lines on Celebrity.

Did like the trays instead of the dishes on RCI. Food was comparable.

Found our FV (family ocean view with veranda) at 1300. Cabin in good shape and everything was there - coupon books, connections invitation, ice, robes, the "good" lotions and shampoos, (4 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs,1 small and 1 large table on the balcony), larger TV in the bedroom with the interactive feature with a VCR, small TV with a VCR in the "living" room with no interactive. 2 rooms with 270 sq ft and balcony with 240 sq ft. Loved the cabin.

2 doors to our cabin as we have our own private hallway. Doorbells at each door and the hallway is perfect for storing our luggage,

****We like the cabin storage on the new RCI ships better than X, not enough shelves in the bathroom or cabin, no shelves by the mirror. Otherwise, the storage was more than adequate. Little irritant was when the desk chair was pulled out there was no room between it and the bed. Also, no lights in the closets. Judy says the hairdryer on the wall in the bathroom is not as efficient as RCI’s in the drawer. Also, keeps her in the bathroom so no one else can use it. No full length mirrors.

Bed was very comfortable and our very attentive cabin attendant brought me one of the full body pillows.

We got our luggage before 1500, very fast service.

Rough water leaving port, As I was very tired, the ride was bothering me, so I had to leave dinner before I could try the prime rib. Ordered a club sandwich and some cookies from room service later and it arrived fairly quickly, Both the sandwich and cookies were very good.

Put out the breakfast order for 0800 to 0830

28 January, 2008: and it arrived at 0830 (delivered by our cabin attendant). Everything was there, warm enough and all good. The toast was soft, not like the hard as a rock on RCI most of the time.

After a good night’s sleep, no more problems with the ride.

Judy got lunch at the Aqua Spa and I tried a hamburger and hotdog at the pool café.

Judy’s was good, mine was OK, but won’t get them again.

Signed up for a wireless package with Bob in the internet café, got our 20% extra minutes for the elite coupon, no problem. Couldn’t get a connection either in the cabin or the balcony. Went to one of the hot spots in the Ocean Café and had no problem there. Fairly fast connection. Surprised me.

Judy went to Elegant Tea. Very elegant. Good choice of teas–unfortunately bags instead of steeped in the pot. Lots of sandwich choices–shrimp, salmon, roast beef, cucumber. Then scones with strawberries and cream, cheesecake, chocolate cake. Many waiters, very attentive. White gloves; the bit. Most gentlemen in jackets. Quite enjoyable.

**** Nothing comparable on RCI. X wins.

I watched an old western on the laptop in the cabin. (Brought along a package of 100 old westerns we never have time to watch at home).

Formal night. Surprised most men at early seating in suits instead of tuxes. Actually more tuxes on RCI on the cruises we’ve been on. Dinner for Judy was oysters rockefeller and Romaine with arugula and Celebrity dressing.

Mine was goat cheese and potatoes gratin, chilled melon and mint soup and caesar salad.

Both had a wonderful sorbet and tournedos of beef. Everything was very good and the beef was excellent.

The show was the singers and dancers performing excerpts from various Broadway shows. I thought it was excellent, too loud for Judy even though we were sitting in the top balcony in the last row.

**** Big strike against X as the bar staff continued serving drinks during the whole show. People standing behind us kept getting drinks and talking through the whole show. Believe RCI shuts off bar service during the show.

Comments on the theater. Lot of steps on the main theater deck with 3 or 4 rows without a handrail. Would be difficult to use in rough seas.

****Much prefer the small tables on X instead of the holes in the arms on RCI that only hold the stemmed glasses.

Back to the cabin to a rose and chocolates from the Captain’s Club.

****Water in bathroom/shower only lukewarm, not hot enough. Water much hotter, much faster on RCI.

Done for the night.

We were in a similar stateroom (corner FV) on Constellation and also loved it. That balcony is beyond belief.

Archived