Fall Foliage In Late October?

Retired 07

We are thinking of doing a Canada/New England cruise on Celebrity Constellation this fall. It sails from Oct 17 to Oct 30. Is this too late for the fall colors? I understand that with global warming, the season is coming later every year. Being from So Calif., we're not that familiar with the color changes, so this would be a big part of our trip, and we wouldn't want to miss it. Thanks for any help!

progress.gif

I live in Maine and I wish I had a straight answer for you. It all depends on the weather. I am not sure about global warming making the season's colors change later. Last year, 2007, the colors started to turn the end of August and peaked the second week of October (I live in western maine). The coast will be the last to reach peak foliage. You will not want to travel too early in the season, you will see little color. Also, let me say that what a Mainer considers a poor foliage year, is beauty to others. This is a Maine foliage web site with last year's report for the time period you are considering. http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/report/index.shtml (you will be sailing in zone 1 & 2) For a short answer, you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

We are thinking of doing a Canada/New England cruise on Celebrity Constellation this fall. It sails from Oct 17 to Oct 30. Is this too late for the fall colors? I understand that with global warming, the season is coming later every year. Being from So Calif., we're not that familiar with the color changes, so this would be a big part of our trip, and we wouldn't want to miss it. Thanks for any help!

progress.gif

As others stated, it really depends upon the weather. Normally, peak in Southern New Hampshire is around the first week in October but usually still great colors the next few weeks.

• 1 month later...

It depends on many factors (not to get into a debate about "global warming" but I live in the northeast and it has been snowing for 5 months now ... LOL

ANYWAY ... I was there last October and it was a bit past prime. And it was CHILLY. As someone else said, bring gloves and a hat, at least, and dress in layers up there at this time of year. It could be sunny and warm at 2 p.m. and bitter by dinnertime.

FYI -- I would pass the whale watching if you were thinking about it. It was a bust and I have heard from others it is late in the season.

(I did blog about each day on my cruise last fall if you are bored and want to read. LOL)

Since I first put up this thread in January, we've actually booked with HAL for EARLY October, so I think (hope) we'll have a better chance of catching more of the prime foliage. Since the cruise ends with 3 days at sea, and then docks in Ft Lauderdale, I'm more worried about the weather in the southern Atlantic. Is it still hurricane season?

Yes, hurricane season officially ends on November 30th. As everyone else said, with foliage, it really does depend on the weather. How much it rains in the fall, how fast it gets cold, elevations, all affect the timing on fall foliage. Columbus day is a good rule of thumb for peak in most areas so looks like you'll be fine! Yankee Magazine has a whole section on New England fall foliage.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/

I live in south central MA (35 miles west of Boston) and for the last several years peak foliage was at the end of October.

I'm from western Mass and I can say that it varies from town to town and region to region around here. I always thought that smack in mid October was a good rule of thumb overall for the heart of New England.

Last year Amherst was peaking towards the last third of the month and just a few miles away everything was still green.

GO SOX~!!!

The farther north one goes the quicker fall gets here......

This year I don't think that we will have summer let alone fall ... perhaps winter only. It is almost the end of March and I'm looking out my window watching the snow fall. Our lawns are covered and there isn't even a sign of a bud to the trees ... Hopefully the snow will stop soon. Jan

The farther north one goes the quicker fall gets here......

This year I don't think that we will have summer let alone fall ... perhaps winter only. It is almost the end of March and I'm looking out my window watching the snow fall. Our lawns are covered and there isn't even a sign of a bud to the trees ... Hopefully the snow will stop soon. Jan

No kidding! It's 23 degrees here right now. The ocean water is at 38. The snow from Friday has melted from the sun. You're right, Jan, no sign of spring at all. The grass is brown, no birds chirping and not a bud in sight. :( (I take that back...baseball is here!) On a positive note I just watched the weather and they're saying near 70 by Tuesday.

Go Red Sox!

2007 World Series Champions

Looking out my window on the last day of March and being reminded of why I have the user name I have! Ughhhhhh:(

Here in So Cal, the high today will be 64 degrees, and sunny....wanna switch? The grass is always greener.......(I was raised in Ohio, and I MISS the snow)...

Archived