Cell phone use in St. Thomas/St. Martin

ryzmom

Does AT&T have cell phone service in St. Thomas/St. Martin and CocoCay? I bought the international package on our trip to the Western Caribbean on our last cruise, but wanted to make sure we could use our phones when we go on our cruise in October on the Mariner? All help is appreciated!

Thanks!

We have AT&T cell phones also. We were able to use them the entire trip, except for Tortola in the BVI. We are now awaiting our bill :) . We don't care the cost as it was nice to talk to our son almost everyday. We went to Samana, Dominican Republic - St. Thomas, USVI -Tortola, BVI and Great Stirup Cay, Bahamas. Hope this helps :) .

The ship itself has a cell tower you can use whenever the land-based towers are not in range; 2.49 per minute for ATT service plans.

St. Thomas calls are part of domestic coverage; St. Maarten calls are 1.69-1.99 depending on which plan you have through ATT.

I actually called AT&T two weeks ago to ask that same question. Because St. Thomas is part of the U.S. Virgin Islands, the phone will work without any roaming charges.

They couldn't say the same for St. Maartin. There would be roaming charges from that island.

Deb

YOu really need to go to www.wireless.att.com/world and click on Cruise ship roaming as well as roaming. You do NOT you your plan out side of the US. National plan only include 50 us states and USVI and PR. St. Maarten is not included you will be charged a per min rate while using your phone there. I believe is is anywhere from 1.69 per min to 2.29 per min and I know it is 2.49 per min on the ship. Rule of thumb. Don't want to be charged for calls, both if answered and UNANSWERED calls, turn you phone off. Call att if you have more questions.

Although you may technically have service, you may not have actual coverage. While in St. Thomas, my phone at first had coverage, and then it could never get a signal again. (Motorola Razr V3 - AT&T). Please do keep that in mind.

Archived