luggage tags confused

emily rose

:confused: I just recieved my luggage tags for the emerald. There is no room number or name or even deck written on them. It looks like I have to fill this out myself.This looks like it would more difficult for the deck hands to accually search tag for peoples writing and try and locate even what deck it belongs to not to mention room number. Will I ever see my luggage?

When we went on our cruise.....I made up stickers with Bright Pink Labels and attached them to our bags,(over the Princess labels) this way the Princess staff could see right away where those bags belonged. (I did everything to ensure our bags wouldn't be lost)

I am sure the staff got a good laugh when they saw our stickers!

Thanks, I thought is might of been a mistake. This is my first cruise with princess line. I t sem to me it is alot more work for the deck to individual try to read every handwritten as oppose to pre -printed on tags in big bold lettering oh well can't wait for april , looking forward to experincing thr emerald.

The pre-printed information on the Princess luggage tags tell the handlers which portal to load the bags into (i.e. front, middle, stern). From that point the onboard handlers actually read what you have written on them. Maybe not state of art in design but it does work. You will get your bags. Not pre-printing the tags also allow for changes to your cabin, such as upgrades, which sometimes happens shortly before departure.

Not to worry Emily Rose. The color on the tags lets the baggage handlers know which part of the ship the bags go to, then you do write in clearly your stateroom and name, etc.

We usually put two tags on each bag - one on the top handle and one on the side handle, so that they have an easier time seeing a tag depending on how the bag is turned.

Not to worry Emily Rose. The color on the tags lets the baggage handlers know which part of the ship the bags go to, then you do write in clearly your stateroom and name, etc.

We usually put two tags on each bag - one on the top handle and one on the side handle, so that they have an easier time seeing a tag depending on how the bag is turned.

The color on the tags designates the ship and the A or F on the tag is for Aft or Forward.

Has anyone recieved their tags this way or is a mistake in printing? I have always had my deck, rm number and sailing date pre-printed on my tags . anyone!

I can't remember the last time my Princess luggage tags ever came pre-printed. We have always had to fill in our names, sailing date, and stateroom number on each one.

Other cruise lines often have them pre-printed for you, but if Princess ever did that, it's been so long ago, I can't even remember.

Leaving on the Dawn Princess this Sunday, Feb. 3,2008 and have filled out my luggage tags with a felt tip pen. Since showers are in our forecast for Sunday, :mad:, I have also taken the precaution of putting a layer of clear postal tape over that printing, because as I recall felt tip markings can bleed , if they get wet,and not being able to read our cabin number or name would be a disaster for those baggage handlers, not to mention that I would have to go looking for my luggage. I'm hoping that the weather people are wrong, but I'm always a fanatic at preparations, so this was just one that put my mind at ease.:)

Has anyone recieved their tags this way or is a mistake in printing? I have always had my deck, rm number and sailing date pre-printed on my tags . anyone!
We sailed the Golden a couple of weeks ago; same thing, no cabin number, deck, name, anything. It was the first time in 20 plus cruises this has been handled this way for us. yes, we got our luggage, delivered to us and it arrived before dinner. i woundn't worry about it. Maybe this is one more way to cut back, they save time if they leave the filling out to the cruiser.

Nita

It really depends on the cruiseline. On virtually all of my Princess cruises we have always had to fill in the spaces. no biggy. Mow when I sailed Celebrity everything is printed on it. So just go ahead and fill out the luggage tags. I do not use a felt maker as they do smear easily. I just use a plain ballpoint pen and I just make sure before I tag the luggage that the tags are dried.

Marilyn

As the others have said, it depends on the cruiseline. I don't think it has anything to do with cost-cutting since Princess has been doing it this way since at least the early '90s that I'm aware of. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Personally, it gives me a thrill to write my cabin # on the luggage tag. :) I think it's much better than trying to read a number in 10-pt Times Roman.

The color and code on the tag tells the dock people which elevator the luggage should go to. And, the first letter of the cabin # (A, B, C, D, E, etc.) tells the sorter which deck. Once in the holding area for the section of the ship and deck, the deck people distribute the luggage. It's actually a pretty efficient system since the tag is pre-coded as to which area of the ship the luggage is going before anyone has to really "read" the tag.

As the others have said, it depends on the cruiseline. I don't think it has anything to do with cost-cutting since Princess has been doing it this way since at least the early '90s that I'm aware of. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Personally, it gives me a thrill to write my cabin # on the luggage tag. :) I think it's much better than trying to read a number in 10-pt Times Roman.

The color and code on the tag tells the dock people which elevator the luggage should go to. And, the first letter of the cabin # (A, B, C, D, E, etc.) tells the sorter which deck. Once in the holding area for the section of the ship and deck, the deck people distribute the luggage. It's actually a pretty efficient system since the tag is pre-coded as to which area of the ship the luggage is going before anyone has to really "read" the tag.

I was just being a smart A## when I said that. Of course it has little or nothing to do with cost cutting. Princess was the only line thoug we have sailed that didn't have the cabin number on the tags I think. As for names, I don't think we ever had the names on them, I really can't remember.

Nita

Archived