Completely Depressed & Frustrated...HELP!

Brenda33

Made it back from two days of skiing in PA- had a great time!! Breakfasts were easy - I brought protein bars. Lunch was the standard burger and fries at the lodge, only because we were in a hurry and didn't take the time to scan the other food courts - found out they had chicken noodle soup the next day, darn it. But with 8 or 9 hours of skiing, I wasn't too concerned about the calories, both the burger and fries were very very small. Dinner was Chinese (ugh - love Chinese but generally stay away - hard to eat healthy there) as it was my nephew's birthday (that is the reason for our annual trip) and that was his choice of cuisine. I had some broccoli chicken and lomein. Not great, but I ate only a small amount. The next day lunch was a protein bar, and a few pretzels. When we got home my sis had made a great big pot of chicken noodle soup - MAN was that good!! Weighed this morning and I was down another pound, :o but as it was my sister's scale, I'll save the celebrating until I verify that on my own scale tomorrow!! ;)

I think my biggest problem now is that I don't know how to eat out......and boy am I gonna get yelled at for what I say next. But, if everyone else is eating all the goodies and I don't eat or just have a side salad I will start to cry, hate myself because I can't have what everyone else is having and I will be miserable. ... I think that in order to make it a lifestyle change I have to eat "normal" foods and be able to go out with others. I think the hardest part is that it is still in the phase when I want to lose weight and not maintain....I guess that is the reason I think its such a big deal to go to McDonalds or Red Robin.

Brenda, eating out is surely a challenge, and yes you must eat differently than you have in the past. For me, I'll be honest with you - I just don't eat out much. I never eat lunch out at work (cardio time at the gym), and dinner out is, gosh...maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I often get a salad...and dressing is ALWAYS on the side. Occasionally I will get grilled chicken, or blackened mahi mahi if I am really hungry. It's just me and my son here at home, so it's easier for me to just make him dinner, and I eat whenever I get hungry. He is 15, and eats like a garbage disposal, so our stomachs are never on the same schedule!

Why on earth would you want "what everyone else is having"? I cannot imagine ever thinking that...look at other people around you in the restaurant - most are way overweight and need to push away from the table before they even sit down!! You say you want "normal" foods. You need to think about what you mean here. There is healthy eating, and there is unhealthy eating. That is your choice. You can go out to eat with others, but if you eat like they do (is that what you mean by normal?? It's not.) then you are not learning to take charge of your own eating behavior and make permanent changes. Your body is YOURS. Not someone elses. Don't let someone else's gluttony impair YOUR resolve to be a healthier person.

If I have a dinner out planned, first I make a decision as to whether I am going to eat or not. My days are hectic, and sometimes things happen where I know I am just NOT going to be hungry at the time of the dinner. And I DO NOT EAT unless I am hungry. Period. Does that mean I go to a restaurant with others sometimes, and don't order? Yep. Sure does. So what. Who cares. My family sure doesn't. It's not about the food - it's about the people and the event, for me. Now if I can work the day so that I will be able to eat there, then yes I will certainly try and do that. Like I said - I eat out infrequently, so this does not happen often, but when it does, it does not bother me one bit in the least, to drink my water and socialize with others, as they eat. Simply not a big deal. If I do eat, and if I am just craving a burger (rare, but it happens) I order one and eat about a third of it, without the bun. Take home the rest, or usually, my son finishes it for me. If you are ordering something that you KNOW is more that you can or should eat, then the very first thing you do, after you order, is have the waitress bring you a box, and place at least half of the meal in the box. Take it home and have it the next day. This is the main reason I dont like eating out - the portion sizes are absolutely ridiculous.

So...there are ways to do this - eating out with others, and not sabatoge your weight goals. But you have to think in terms of these being PERMANENT changes. Otherwise you will be right back where you started, in a very short time. So keep up the good work...and think about every thing you put into your mouth - really think about it. You can do this...you just have to stay focused and keep your goals in front of you.

Now...I am off to bed, hoping I really did lose a pound this weekend!!!

Great post! For awhile I thought I was reading something I wrote :) Lucky you with the skiing..THAT burns a ton of calories, if not from the skiing then from trying to lug everything and wearing the boots!

Have you guys ever cruised out of Fort Lauderdale? I had lunch today at 15st Street Fisheries..had the BEST conch chowder and a small salad, and then I was a pig and had a piece of key lime pie..fortunately it was small then I made my dining partner split it with me.

I second what you said..why would anyone want to ENVY what others are eating? Envying someone with a diamond necklace..ok a legit envy..envying someone who won the lottery..ok, legit also..but envying food someone else has? Like I said, how do you know the aren't going home and puking it in the toilet just so they CAN eat it..people DO that!

I also second the eating out thing..today was the first time I ate out in a month. Brenda I stand by my challenge..instead of the usual Sat. night restaruant, maybe try something really odd..like an ethnic cuisines, many of those restaraunts have some VERY healthy things (especially Indian restaurants...lots of beans and lentils), or a West Indian (lots of veggies). Mediterranian places can be good choices too. Ask them to steam what they can if it's veggies. Stay away from Italian Mexican, Cuban, or French..can be high in fat and calories. My native Brazil has wonderful fresh fruits and veggies, but we think nothing of making a flan with 18 egg yolks in it. Or, my other challenge was to maybe get a gourmet salad from a Whole Foods type of place and picnic in the park on a Saturday afternoon or early evening (if feasible). When I was a poor grad student in Michigan we had picnics in the fall at the beach even though it was cold. The bonus of a picnic is that you can have a family game of frisbee or similar (forgot where you lived, is it cold there?)

Anyways, just want to second what Single Mom said about changing the thinking patterns. Be adventurous! Menina

Made it back from two days of skiing in PA- had a great time!! Breakfasts were easy - I brought protein bars. Lunch was the standard burger and fries at the lodge, only because we were in a hurry and didn't take the time to scan the other food courts - found out they had chicken noodle soup the next day, darn it. But with 8 or 9 hours of skiing, I wasn't too concerned about the calories, both the burger and fries were very very small. Dinner was Chinese (ugh - love Chinese but generally stay away - hard to eat healthy there) as it was my nephew's birthday (that is the reason for our annual trip) and that was his choice of cuisine. I had some broccoli chicken and lomein. Not great, but I ate only a small amount. The next day lunch was a protein bar, and a few pretzels. When we got home my sis had made a great big pot of chicken noodle soup - MAN was that good!! Weighed this morning and I was down another pound, :o but as it was my sister's scale, I'll save the celebrating until I verify that on my own scale tomorrow!! ;)

Brenda, eating out is surely a challenge, and yes you must eat differently than you have in the past. For me, I'll be honest with you - I just don't eat out much. I never eat lunch out at work (cardio time at the gym), and dinner out is, gosh...maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I often get a salad...and dressing is ALWAYS on the side. Occasionally I will get grilled chicken, or blackened mahi mahi if I am really hungry. It's just me and my son here at home, so it's easier for me to just make him dinner, and I eat whenever I get hungry. He is 15, and eats like a garbage disposal, so our stomachs are never on the same schedule!

Why on earth would you want "what everyone else is having"? I cannot imagine ever thinking that...look at other people around you in the restaurant - most are way overweight and need to push away from the table before they even sit down!! You say you want "normal" foods. You need to think about what you mean here. There is healthy eating, and there is unhealthy eating. That is your choice. You can go out to eat with others, but if you eat like they do (is that what you mean by normal?? It's not.) then you are not learning to take charge of your own eating behavior and make permanent changes. Your body is YOURS. Not someone elses. Don't let someone else's gluttony impair YOUR resolve to be a healthier person.

If I have a dinner out planned, first I make a decision as to whether I am going to eat or not. My days are hectic, and sometimes things happen where I know I am just NOT going to be hungry at the time of the dinner. And I DO NOT EAT unless I am hungry. Period. Does that mean I go to a restaurant with others sometimes, and don't order? Yep. Sure does. So what. Who cares. My family sure doesn't. It's not about the food - it's about the people and the event, for me. Now if I can work the day so that I will be able to eat there, then yes I will certainly try and do that. Like I said - I eat out infrequently, so this does not happen often, but when it does, it does not bother me one bit in the least, to drink my water and socialize with others, as they eat. Simply not a big deal. If I do eat, and if I am just craving a burger (rare, but it happens) I order one and eat about a third of it, without the bun. Take home the rest, or usually, my son finishes it for me. If you are ordering something that you KNOW is more that you can or should eat, then the very first thing you do, after you order, is have the waitress bring you a box, and place at least half of the meal in the box. Take it home and have it the next day. This is the main reason I dont like eating out - the portion sizes are absolutely ridiculous.

So...there are ways to do this - eating out with others, and not sabatoge your weight goals. But you have to think in terms of these being PERMANENT changes. Otherwise you will be right back where you started, in a very short time. So keep up the good work...and think about every thing you put into your mouth - really think about it. You can do this...you just have to stay focused and keep your goals in front of you.

Great post! For awhile I thought I was reading something I wrote :) Lucky you with the skiing..THAT burns a ton of calories, if not from the skiing then from trying to lug everything and wearing the boots!

Have you guys ever cruised out of Fort Lauderdale? I had lunch today at 15st Street Fisheries..had the BEST conch chowder and a small salad, and then I was a pig and had a piece of key lime pie..fortunately it was small then I made my dining partner split it with me.

I second what you said..why would anyone want to ENVY what others are eating? Envying someone with a diamond necklace..ok a legit envy..envying someone who won the lottery..ok, legit also..but envying food someone else has? Like I said, how do you know the aren't going home and puking it in the toilet just so they CAN eat it..people DO that!

I also second the eating out thing..today was the first time I ate out in a month. Brenda I stand by my challenge..instead of the usual Sat. night restaruant, maybe try something really odd..like an ethnic cuisines, many of those restaraunts have some VERY healthy things (especially Indian restaurants...lots of beans and lentils), or a West Indian (lots of veggies). Mediterranian places can be good choices too. Ask them to steam what they can if it's veggies. Stay away from Italian Mexican, Cuban, or French..can be high in fat and calories. My native Brazil has wonderful fresh fruits and veggies, but we think nothing of making a flan with 18 egg yolks in it. Or, my other challenge was to maybe get a gourmet salad from a Whole Foods type of place and picnic in the park on a Saturday afternoon or early evening (if feasible). When I was a poor grad student in Michigan we had picnics in the fall at the beach even though it was cold. The bonus of a picnic is that you can have a family game of frisbee or similar (forgot where you lived, is it cold there?)

Anyways, just want to second what Single Mom said about changing the thinking patterns. Be adventurous! Menina

Good morning,

Well lets get the important stuff out of the way first....I lost another pound!!!! YES I DID!....that is 10 pounds total!!...Half way there!!!! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am! BEST PART....I did this and still go out on Saturday!! I hear everything you guys are saying.....but I have to tell you, I do not WANT to give up my Saturday nights at a nice restaurant. AND...I enjoy the Italian. I truly believe if I didn't have this to look forward to, I would fail completely. Now I say in my own mind....you don't need that food.....u can wait for a treat on Saturday.....and it works. If I have nothing to look forward to, cheating would be alot easier to do. My instructor at Curves does the same thing. She eats extremely well all week and treats herself one day at week. She received a box of chocolate for Valentine's Day and was able to wait for "her day" to eat it.

The weather is freezing here! I hate to walk out the door! I live in NJ. I hate even a little cold! The other day it was so beautiful out. It was in the 60's....of course, it did not last. I loved that day because I was able to not only go to Curves, but to bike ride in the afternoon with my son. Its alot easier to get in extra exercise when the weather is nice.....and stuff like a bike ride with my son doesn't feel like "work"....its fun, yet my heart is pumping. I am looking forward to the summer when I can be in my pool everyday. Jumping around with a little guy sure can burn some calories! He likes when I attempt to lie on a floatie.....he tips me over. LOL

Oh....for the cauliflower mashed "potatoes"....I boil the cauliflower and moosh it up, but do I add anything to it other than some seasonings on the top? Tonight I am making spaghetti squash for my actual dinner. I am going to chop up tomatoes, etc. and make it a "pasta" dish. I really loved that stuff last week when I tried it.

One other thing I will add. The old saying that people eat for comfort is definitely true. Sometimes we have so much stress and heartache in our life that we turn to food for comfort......I know this is so completely bad.....sad but true. So a Saturday night out to dinner serves for alot more than just a little not so good for you food.....but it does serve as a much needed release from life.

Oh.....did I mention I lost 10 pounds total?!!! WOO HOO....yep, back to my celebration!!!....I'm gonna kick butt at Curves today!!!! :D

Brenda, great work!

I want to clarify a few things. I was not advising you to give up your Saturday night's out at a restaurant or give up Saturday nights period. I was challenging you to maybe "alter" how you go out on a Saturday night and to try something different. That's what can make dieting a way of life when you can be adventurous. Variety is the spice of life! If the treat day works for you, that's good. For me it would not work. I do better if I cut things out entirely which is weird, but then when I do try them again I either get sick from them or I feel like I wasted the calories as it didn't taste as good as I thought it did.

Good job on the spaghetti squash. The cauliflower: You season it the way you want, no milk needed. I like real butter but I can get away with it (My cholesterol is 92..which is actually too low doc. says)

Emotions: I wish I could eat when I'm sad or upset..I do the oppositte..fortunately that doesn't happen too much. I do see how a lot of people could overdo it on the food when they are upset, though.

Keep up the good work...M

Good morning,

Well lets get the important stuff out of the way first....I lost another pound!!!! YES I DID!....that is 10 pounds total!!...Half way there!!!! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am! BEST PART....I did this and still go out on Saturday!! I hear everything you guys are saying.....but I have to tell you, I do not WANT to give up my Saturday nights at a nice restaurant. AND...I enjoy the Italian. I truly believe if I didn't have this to look forward to, I would fail completely. Now I say in my own mind....you don't need that food.....u can wait for a treat on Saturday.....and it works. If I have nothing to look forward to, cheating would be alot easier to do. My instructor at Curves does the same thing. She eats extremely well all week and treats herself one day at week. She received a box of chocolate for Valentine's Day and was able to wait for "her day" to eat it.

The weather is freezing here! I hate to walk out the door! I live in NJ. I hate even a little cold! The other day it was so beautiful out. It was in the 60's....of course, it did not last. I loved that day because I was able to not only go to Curves, but to bike ride in the afternoon with my son. Its alot easier to get in extra exercise when the weather is nice.....and stuff like a bike ride with my son doesn't feel like "work"....its fun, yet my heart is pumping. I am looking forward to the summer when I can be in my pool everyday. Jumping around with a little guy sure can burn some calories! He likes when I attempt to lie on a floatie.....he tips me over. LOL

Oh....for the cauliflower mashed "potatoes"....I boil the cauliflower and moosh it up, but do I add anything to it other than some seasonings on the top? Tonight I am making spaghetti squash for my actual dinner. I am going to chop up tomatoes, etc. and make it a "pasta" dish. I really loved that stuff last week when I tried it.

One other thing I will add. The old saying that people eat for comfort is definitely true. Sometimes we have so much stress and heartache in our life that we turn to food for comfort......I know this is so completely bad.....sad but true. So a Saturday night out to dinner serves for alot more than just a little not so good for you food.....but it does serve as a much needed release from life.

Oh.....did I mention I lost 10 pounds total?!!! WOO HOO....yep, back to my celebration!!!....I'm gonna kick butt at Curves today!!!! :D

Welcome back Happy... Missed your daily wisdom!

The cauliflower mashed potatoes thing. I use chicken broth in the blender to make them smooth and adds nice flavor.

I like M's idea.... Sure your Saturday nights out are important to you and dont give them up, but why not offer to your group something different such as a resturant that M suggested.... I have been to tons of comps in all parts of NJ, and your resturant options are endless! Another insight.... While you are feeling deprived that you cannot eat what the group is doing did you ever think that the group is envious of you that you are having a good time, and eating to a new lifestyle.... I bet they are!!

10 pounds...ARGGGG.... To be you would be wonderful.....

Sorry Brenda, but I am going to take over your post! I lost an inital 5 pounds and then for the past month, nothing. My husband tells me that at 120 pounds my body is not going to drop much more. Still strange things are going on with my body though..... Right now I only have one or two pants in my closet that fit, all others, less my hips, would fall off. I am such a numbers person (I am a CPA) and I feel like such a failure without a scale move......

I just cant get past that it takes 3500 calories to loose a pound. I write down everything I eat and I know I have hit the 3500 reduction so why no pound loss??? I am so logical and this is not logical

Welcome back Happy... Missed your daily wisdom!

The cauliflower mashed potatoes thing. I use chicken broth in the blender to make them smooth and adds nice flavor.

I like M's idea.... Sure your Saturday nights out are important to you and dont give them up, but why not offer to your group something different such as a resturant that M suggested.... I have been to tons of comps in all parts of NJ, and your resturant options are endless! Another insight.... While you are feeling deprived that you cannot eat what the group is doing did you ever think that the group is envious of you that you are having a good time, and eating to a new lifestyle.... I bet they are!!

10 pounds...ARGGGG.... To be you would be wonderful.....

Sorry Brenda, but I am going to take over your post! I lost an inital 5 pounds and then for the past month, nothing. My husband tells me that at 120 pounds my body is not going to drop much more. Still strange things are going on with my body though..... Right now I only have one or two pants in my closet that fit, all others, less my hips, would fall off. I am such a numbers person (I am a CPA) and I feel like such a failure without a scale move......

I just cant get past that it takes 3500 calories to loose a pound. I write down everything I eat and I know I have hit the 3500 reduction so why no pound loss??? I am so logical and this is not logical

I have to try that cauliflower thing...I have a hard time believing that they taste that good!! (I dearly love mashed taters!! :o )

Smooth - I know it's frustrating when it is supposed to just be all about the numbers...I've dealt with the 3500 thing too. I'm no expert, but I wonder if you have to throw out the math, after you reach a certain point. People have such different metabolisms....the same # of calories will put fat on one person and cause the next one to lose. I eat such a small amount compared to what the "charts" say...but this has always been the case with me, even when I was much younger. (I have a healthly low bp, an very low resting heart rate - I set off the monitors when I had a colonoscopy - they had to turn them off :D and low cholesterol as well.) My maintenance caloric intake is around 1200 a day, so for me to reduce by 500 a day would put me at 700 a day, which truthfully happens occasionally, on a busy day, but I prefer to stay around 900. I can do that, and not feel "starved", just hard mentally to stick with it sometimes.

However, this whole business of creating a caloric deficit, is easier to do with exercise. In a half-hour of cardio (intense cardio), I will burn around 300 calories, and I try to do that most days. If it is a workout day, I'll burn another 400 or so. So that gets me there in a much healthier manner. Better to provide the nutrients, let the body take those, and burn off fat. I think one of the myths that gets propagated so much, and prevents many people from losing more effectively, is the myth that if you are exercising more, and burning additional calories, then you need to EAT more food to provide energy for the exercise. This is just not the case, if you are already eating enough to provide nutrition. But many people read it, buy in, and eat more, and wonder why they aren't losing!!:rolleyes: Now if you are a serious athlete, (bodybuilder, triathlete, marathoner, etc.) then that is a different story. But that isn't the case for most of us.

I wish I had the answer for you, but it really comes down to finding your own way, most of the time. My long-term goal has always been 135, and some days I wonder if I'll ever get there...but I'm still trying! :)

Here Here, I second what you say about how people think because they exercise it gives them a license to eat more. Stinkin' Thinkin' I say!

Case in point: I was in Panera bread meeitng someone (I had NOTHING to eat thankyou...some diet soda) and I saw a whole bunch of people from th gym next door coming in right after..I think the mentality is "Well, I worked out I deserve it".

Goes back to my original theory of "thinking" about food.

I believe the Red Robin birthday bash for Brenda's son is tomorrow? Brenda, I KNOW you can do the right thing and not overdo it!

Smooth: the chicken broth with the cauliflower...do you use the low sodium kind? Sodium can wreak havoc!

I have to try that cauliflower thing...I have a hard time believing that they taste that good!! (I dearly love mashed taters!! :o )

Smooth - I know it's frustrating when it is supposed to just be all about the numbers...I've dealt with the 3500 thing too. I'm no expert, but I wonder if you have to throw out the math, after you reach a certain point. People have such different metabolisms....the same # of calories will put fat on one person and cause the next one to lose. I eat such a small amount compared to what the "charts" say...but this has always been the case with me, even when I was much younger. (I have a healthly low bp, an very low resting heart rate - I set off the monitors when I had a colonoscopy - they had to turn them off :D and low cholesterol as well.) My maintenance caloric intake is around 1200 a day, so for me to reduce by 500 a day would put me at 700 a day, which truthfully happens occasionally, on a busy day, but I prefer to stay around 900. I can do that, and not feel "starved", just hard mentally to stick with it sometimes.

However, this whole business of creating a caloric deficit, is easier to do with exercise. In a half-hour of cardio (intense cardio), I will burn around 300 calories, and I try to do that most days. If it is a workout day, I'll burn another 400 or so. So that gets me there in a much healthier manner. Better to provide the nutrients, let the body take those, and burn off fat. I think one of the myths that gets propagated so much, and prevents many people from losing more effectively, is the myth that if you are exercising more, and burning additional calories, then you need to EAT more food to provide energy for the exercise. This is just not the case, if you are already eating enough to provide nutrition. But many people read it, buy in, and eat more, and wonder why they aren't losing!!:rolleyes: Now if you are a serious athlete, (bodybuilder, triathlete, marathoner, etc.) then that is a different story. But that isn't the case for most of us.

I wish I had the answer for you, but it really comes down to finding your own way, most of the time. My long-term goal has always been 135, and some days I wonder if I'll ever get there...but I'm still trying! :)

Hello ladies! I have been a lurker on this board for a few days now, I finally decided to post. You have all given such great advice and such great insperatation. Last August I decided it was finally time to get healthy and finally make the lifestyle change. I am 5'9" and started out at 201 lbs. Since then I have gone down to 171 and been stuck there since Decmeber. I have made it a lifestyle change and "cheat" now and again, but overall it has become a lifestyle for me. My husband has done it to. At his work he gets free gym membership and a free trainer. He is an Executive chef at a hotel. We have both been working out differently and sometimes on different eating "schedules" but we have both found what works for us. He started at 261 lbs and is now down to 225 lbs.

sorry hit the wrong buttons - wasn't done with the post yet..!

We are leaving for our cruise 03/30/08. It's a surprise for DH's 35th Birthday! I have decided to get back to loosing instead of maintaining. I want to finally move below that 171 lbs mark. Ideal would be 150 or below. I was 150 back in the High school days. (I am 29 I will be 30 in June!) I am biking (outdoors)

6 1/2 miles every morning coming home doing 30 push ups, 250 crunches and in the afternoon running 2 miles and walking back the 2 miles (pushing baby in stroller). 20 lbs is a lot to loose in 6 weeks (a little under now) so I will gladly settle for 10lbs. I journal daily caloric and fat intake on a wipe board on the fridge and stay at or under 1200 cal and 20g of fat. I eat very healthy, kind of following the "superfoods ideals". I also have a friend org from Spain and partake in Tapas and some Mediteranian cuisine. Lots of flavor, healthy and fills you up quickly. I do drink a glass of wine every evening while making dinner and refuse to give it up. If it means a longer time for weight loss, so be it. I have two boys 6 and 3 and enjoy the "break". Being that my dh is a chef, he works long hours so most of the time it's just me and the boys and the neighbors. Our neighborhood is kinda like Desperate Housewives, only much nicer!! LOL. Anyway, I just wanted to finally join you all, you have been so helpful. You have inspired me to get out there and push it more.

Way to go Brenda, keep it up, you are almost there!! Do you realize how many people are behind you and rooting for you, even if they don't post!! You have really started somthing girl!! You can do it!!!

Hi Jaimie! Welcome to the boards! I have not been on here long, I just kinda 'stumbed' upon this thread one day....but it does help to share your successes and frustrations...and get input from others.

Sounds like you are walking the rght path! Congrats on your losses so far, to you and your hubbie both! I know it is hard to do with a baby...I didn't make my move for change until my son was 5, but once I got into a routine, then it was much easier. 10 pounds sounds very doable for 6 weeks - keep up the good work!!

Jaimie,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I guess I didn't realize how many people were rooting for me! But now that I think about it that way I feel great!! I'll try not to let you all down!!! Congrats on your weight loss too! What a great motivator....cruising!!!

Good news again today!!! I lost another pound!!!! That is 11 pounds total!!!!!!!!! I am at 132 today. The more I lose, the more I have the drive to keep going and push myself. Today at the gym I was really grooving. I did 1 hour and 20 minutes!!! I was shaking when I was done, but I felt soooooooooooooo good!!!

Menina.....yes, tonight is Red Robin. You all tell me that I have to decide before I go what I am going to do....and decide if I am going to cheat. Well I have been beating myself up about this for days (as you know) and I have decided that I am going to order a chicken sandwich instead of a burger....eat probably about 1/3 of it and a few fries. As long as I have the taste I will be thrilled. I don't have to completely overdo it to enjoy it. I'm sure I won't have any weight loss to report tomorrow, but I have decided to take the pressure off and just enjoy the night. Can things change between now and when I get there?......You never know. LOL Oh....NO CAKE FOR ME!!! LOL

Jaimie,

.....yes, tonight is Red Robin. You all tell me that I have to decide before I go what I am going to do....and decide if I am going to cheat. Well I have been beating myself up about this for days (as you know) and I have decided that I am going to order a chicken sandwich instead of a burger....eat probably about 1/3 of it and a few fries. As long as I have the taste I will be thrilled. I don't have to completely overdo it to enjoy it. I'm sure I won't have any weight loss to report tomorrow, but I have decided to take the pressure off and just enjoy the night. Can things change between now and when I get there?......You never know. LOL Oh....NO CAKE FOR ME!!! LOL

Hey Brenda - I had to skip the gym today and eat lunch out for a team birthday lunch (kills me to do it, but sometimes I gotta!). I had EXACTLY what you are planning to have!! :p It was more than enough...I certainly did not leave hungry, or empty-handed - my son can polish off the rest tonight! I will go to the gym tonight after work, and try to get in an extra-good workout! Enjoy, and keep yourself focused on your goal!!!

Happysinglemom.... Too funny that you had the same thing I am planning on having. The instructor at Curves asked me....she said "so u r going to Red Robin and cheating on your diet.....on Friday are you going to cheat or are you going right back on your diet and exercising your butt off?" I said right back to the diet and exercise. She said then don't beat yourself up...enjoy! But, I still won't over do it. Its just the taste of the food I am craving....I don't need to pig out.

So now it's my turn. So I was down 2 on Sunday, and I was up 5 today?!!? How is that even possible? I did have more drinks than I should have on Sunday, but not 5 pounds worth! It is my time of the month though, so I'm hoping it's just bloat from that.

On with the good news...I booked a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been crazy at work, and will continue to be crazy for the next week and a half (I 'm a category manager, aka buyer, for a retailer, and I have to present what I'm buying for Christmas 08 along with all the financials to sr management). Then, I'll have the POs placed right before I go on my cruise, so I'll be able to enjoy the cruise and forget about Christmas!

Brenda, have fun tonight. Remember to get right back on that horse tomorrow!

Where are you going Chi? Dont worry about it, welcome to my world. Just a small deviation from my normal eating habits will put on a few pounds for me, yet after a few days of good habits and workouts, it is gone... I am sure it is just one of thoes things and you will be back down quick.

I am sure I missed Brenda, but have a great time tonight... No pressure that you have a whole thread waiting to hear how you did at Red Robin! We have a Red Robin around here and do you know I have never been in it... I am so curious what you see in this place I just may have to go.

I'm going to Grand Cayman, Roatan Island, Belize, and Cozumel. Roatan will be new for me. I was on the Valor in October and loved the ship, so I'm excited to go back. And, now I have that much more motivation to get going and get to my goal!

There's a Red Robin by my office, and I've never been there either. From the looks of the menu, I don't think I want to go there...not much to pick from in the healthy arena. And, if I have one fry, I have another, and another...you get the point.

Ok..we are all dying to know..did she or didn't she cheat! :) If she stuck to her plan then she'll be fine!

Someone made the comment about planning what to do before yo go..it's like the number one principle when it comes to relapse prevention in substance abuse and just about everything. Must be why they say to make sure you don't go to the grocery store hungry and without a list!

I just came from my MIL home..she made some lovely west indian snapper and rice..yum yum! I am spoiled with her cooking!

That sounds like a great trip Chigirl... I love a day stop in Grand Cayman. Good for you. We have been going on a cruise every year for at least 10 years, the type of vacation both me and my husband like. This will be the first year that I have no cruise planned. On our Hawaii cruise I had to be taken off of the ship with a medical emergency and although I am fully recovered I still am not quite ready to board a ship just yet.

I have my own website where I write of our cruise adventures.... When you have a few minutes here is the link to the part about the medical issues I had. Instead we have a full calendar of dance competitions that will put us in all parts of the US this year.

http://www.justcruisin-sv.com/CruiseShips/Diamond%20Princess%20Page%20last.htm

Yum, snapper... I could eat fish every night and be quite content.

Smooth, I read about your saga on the fashion boards (I'm 99% sure I posted in your "rest of the story" thread). It's kind of funny, right before I came to the site, I was thinking, I wonder if that one lady ever got a red dress. And then, your story. How are you feeling now?

I started cruising 13 years ago when I was 18...back then they allowed 18 year olds to travel by themselves, and we could drink. I did another one for spring break my freshman year in college, and then I took a few years off while I got my career going. I'm in a position now where I'm making good money, and I can afford to cruise more often. This will be my fourth cruise in 16 months. Roatan will be a new one for me; I've been to the other ports. We chose this itinerary because my friend wants to go to Belize. There's so much to do in those ports though, that I don't mind. And, checking out the roll call for this sailing, it looks like there's quite a few people in their late 20s and early 30s, single and married. This is the perfect motivation to get those last pounds off...I should be at goal by then. My downfall is alcohol. I'm 31, single in Chicago, it's what we do...we meet for drinks, after dinner we go to bars/clubs. I limit myself to one (this is once or twice a week, not daily)...very occasionally I fall off the wagon and have more, like this past weekend. When you're dating, it's hard to say that you don't want a drink because you're trying to lose weight....Menina, advice???

Ok..we are all dying to know..did she or didn't she cheat! :) If she stuck to her plan then she'll be fine!

Someone made the comment about planning what to do before yo go..it's like the number one principle when it comes to relapse prevention in substance abuse and just about everything. Must be why they say to make sure you don't go to the grocery store hungry and without a list!

I just came from my MIL home..she made some lovely west indian snapper and rice..yum yum! I am spoiled with her cooking!

I plan out every day in terms of food intake. Usually during the week it's the same thing...since I live by myself, I make something on Sunday and eat it for the rest of the week. I have a few breakfasts I like, a few lunches to mix it up, but dinners are usually the same. When I go out to eat, I check out the menu online and figure out what I will order, and what I will eat the rest of the day to get through.

I WISH I could eat fish. I'm severely allergic to fish and shellfish...it would be nice to be able to put more variety in my diet. I feel like I could grow feathers I eat so much chicken!

I plan out every day in terms of food intake. Usually during the week it's the same thing...since I live by myself, I make something on Sunday and eat it for the rest of the week. I have a few breakfasts I like, a few lunches to mix it up, but dinners are usually the same. When I go out to eat, I check out the menu online and figure out what I will order, and what I will eat the rest of the day to get through.

I WISH I could eat fish. I'm severely allergic to fish and shellfish...it would be nice to be able to put more variety in my diet. I feel like I could grow feathers I eat so much chicken!

My downfall is alcohol. I'm 31, single in Chicago, it's what we do...we meet for drinks, after dinner we go to bars/clubs. I limit myself to one (this is once or twice a week, not daily)...very occasionally I fall off the wagon and have more, like this past weekend. When you're dating, it's hard to say that you don't want a drink because you're trying to lose weight....Menina, advice???

Been there done that! Probably not what you want to hear, but I used to go out with my friends to the bars...and not drink a drop. When I was in my late 20's and early 30's, I had just started running and being regular at the gym, and I decided the alcohol had to go. None of my friends cared one bit...funny - they could not understand how I could have such a good time just drinking water!! Several times they swore I was drunk. :D :D If I was with a date, I simply told them I was not a big drinker and preferred water...heck they loved it - a cheap date! Today, I think that behavior is even MORE accepted than it was then. I run into MANY people that stick with water when they are out.

When I started following WW 6 years ago, once again, the alcohol was shelved. I did not have a drink, not a single one, for 3 years. And I never missed it. These days, I will have a drink, but only if I have planned for it. But, sometimes, it doesn't work out and I screw up! My boyfriend took me to a local Italian place a few months ago - wonderful restaurant. I ordered ravioli, the least damaging item on the menu, and ate half, taking the rest home. Unfortunately the waitress mentioned to us that they made a world-class chocolate martini. My boyfriend cajoled me into it. They were so damn good I ended up having 2!! :eek: When I got home, I checked the calories - I drank 700 calories in each martini!!!! Completely ruined my day, and my week, knowing I had consumed that much. And I know that sorft of thing happens occasionally, it's not the end of the world. But I generally don't bother. If I have to choose between food and booze, the food will win every time!! :p

Good morning everyone!

Wow, so much has been happening on this board. I think if you have to have alcohol a good choice might be a white wine spritzer....its half club soda....???? I can totally understand its hard when you are young and single. Yes, I have had a couple glasses of wine on Saturday night lately, but there are plenty of times when I go out and not drink also. I am not a big drinker at all. It was only a few weeks ago we ordered a bottle of sparkling water and drank it in fancy glasses....the glass really does have alot to do with it. Silly, but true.

OK....Red Robin......I think I did very well. I had half a chicken sandwich....yeah I said 1/3....but I was hungry....not just wanting it.....and there was a ton of fries left in my basket....I only ate a few!! I had an onion ring too. I was very proud of myself!!! I didn't feel stuffed and I felt good about it. So even if it wasn't the ideal meal, I ate it in moderation and today I am back on that horse!! Now, for those of you who have never been to Red Robin.....its a kid place. I would never pick this restaurant. Me, I am all about fancy places. But my 6 year old had the choice since it was his birthday. It was Red Robin or bust. They have a few video games in the front of the place which made it a definite. He brought his little friend with him and at the end of the night they both said this was the "best day ever!". Oh, they each had ice cream and the Red Robin staff sang Happy B'day and I didn't have any dessert....and I didn't care!! Would I recommend Red Robin?....only if you have kids.....its a grease pit. Sorry, Red Robin. lol

So today I have to ride the stupid bike!!...can't get to curves with the ton of snow out there....DARN IT!! This is a cruel joke...go to Red Robin, no Curves for you! Uggghhhhh

I pray I'm not another one of you who loses and in a couple days gains 5...I'll die. I'm avoiding the scale today. LOL

Have a good day everyone! I hope you are not too disappointed in what I did at Red Robin. Its all healthy today!

Archived