Cruiseline refuses to refund trip

On my local TV station last evening I was watching this report:

http://ww2.wpri.com/global/Category.asp?c=38568 video on right

I'm really a compassionate person and I don't want to sound callous to this poor woman's terrible ordeal. But I can't believe the way this was reported!

Especially the part where the reporter indicates that a "bill" was waiting in the mail when the family arrived home! We all know that is not true!! A cruise has to be paid 90 days out...sheesh!

Of course, the story also brushes over the travel insurance part as well.

Again, I do feel very sorry for the family, it is the reporting that I have such a problem with. It gives cruises in general a bad name when such shoddy reporting is done.

I have found that these "investigative" reports are never fair and balanced. We all know that this lady didn't have a "bill" from RCI in her mailbox- maybe from her CC company. Also- would the airline refund her money if she had bought plane tickets and didn't use them? No. I think for RCI to refund their money was a good thing to do and a good PR move.

We have never bought travel insurance before, but I think we are for our next 2 upcoming cruises.

On my local TV station last evening I was watching this report:

http://ww2.wpri.com/global/Category.asp?c=38568 video on right

I'm really a compassionate person and I don't want to sound callous to this poor woman's terrible ordeal. But I can't believe the way this was reported!

Especially the part where the reporter indicates that a "bill" was waiting in the mail when the family arrived home! We all know that is not true!! A cruise has to be paid 90 days out...sheesh!

Of course, the story also brushes over the travel insurance part as well.

Again, I do feel very sorry for the family, it is the reporting that I have such a problem with. It gives cruises in general a bad name when such shoddy reporting is done.

I feel sorry for her too but as you stated the rule is the rule. In this video it was stated that RCI already prior to publication offered a full refund for the husband's fare and 75% for everybody else.

What I don't get is where the $3000 post cruise come from. The last time I checked you have to be paid off 60 days in advance or whenever you book the cruise within 60 days of sailing.

Something is just not right with this story.

I think RCI was more than generous. I'm surprised they returned anything without insurance. That's what insurance is for! As a TA I always make sure my clients know the possible situations where a cruise cost can be totally lost and that not buying insurance is like throwing money out the window while driving down the highway!

What happened to her? I cant watch the video, I think it might be blocked at work.

Her husband had a heart attack and died I believe the day of the cruise. According the report, when she got home from the funeral, she had a bill for over $3000 "waiting in her mailbox." She called RCI and was told they would refund her husband's cruise ticket, but the rest they would give 75% credit for a future cruise taken within a year.

Husband died of a heart attack just before they were to board the ship. They wanted a full refund and RCCL apparently offered a full refund for the husband and a 75% credit for the rest foe the family. It is reported that she cam back to a bill of $3,000 odd that she cannot afford to pay as she is now a single mother.

There is a small reference to the cruise line saying that this is what insurance is for. But it is represented as if the cruise line sent a bill after he died.

I did think maybe they still have the bill if they paid by credit card, but although it is a tragedy, the offer that was made initially was generous and more than RCCL needed to make.

RCCL have given a full refund, but even that was critised.

Really people? You are that much of Royal Caribbean cheerleaders that you don't think it would be humanitarian in this extreme situation for RCCL to refund the money. COME ON! It wouldn't hurt RCCL and would at least be good PR. The bill waiting at home was probably the CC bill. Sorry, I can't be on RCCL's side on this one........

I'm a cheerleader ONLY for the wonderful people you meet on the ships..fellow passengers as well as staff. None of the people that make your cruise so wonderful make this kind of decision, not the captain or crew. It's a big corporation and they emphatically don't need your sympathy. This family does. Just my humble opinion. :)

I am wondering why even the credit card bill would be waiting.... unless you cruise last minute, and this doesn't appear the case, don't you have to pay the final bill more than 60 days before you cruise??? I am sorry what happened but something ain't right here!!!

Cudo's to RCCL and Boos to channel 12 for "Yellow Journalism." Not that I'm surprised by the media. Don't have a good story? Make one.

Travel insurance is nothing new, and many people "ignore" it. And, I'm sure when some do, it becomes someone elses problem that they were not ready for the unexpected. Gotta blame someone when we fail, don't we. I know I'm a bit callus, but I wonder if she got the hotel bill refunded, too.

Lesson: buy the insurance if you can't afford the loss. I do.

Really people? You are that much of Royal Caribbean cheerleaders that you don't think it would be humanitarian in this extreme situation for RCCL to refund the money. COME ON! It wouldn't hurt RCCL and would at least be good PR. The bill waiting at home was probably the CC bill. Sorry, I can't be on RCCL's side on this one........

I'm a cheerleader ONLY for the wonderful people you meet on the ships..fellow passengers as well as staff. None of the people that make your cruise so wonderful make this kind of decision, not the captain or crew. It's a big corporation and they emphatically don't need your sympathy. This family does. Just my humble opinion. :)

I do not disagree with RCCL paying back everything but isn't this the reason for trip insurance?? Finally, why when someone agrees with something RCCL does are people slammed as "cheerleaders"??? Just MY humble opinion.

RCI DID refund their cruise tickets- which they didn't have to do. Again, try to get your airline tickets refunded if you don't make the flight. My complaint was with the way this story was reported. It was not fair and balanced.

I sent response to Ms Hogan about her report not being balanced and inaccurate. Yes, it was a tragedy about the lady's husband. The report should have been more on Why insurance is needed when you cruise.

Looking at the photos that they showed, it does not appear to be the family's first cruise. Also if they had the travel insurance, bringing her husband home would have been paid for.

They are lucky in a sense that this did not happen while onboard. It would have either been a med-evac or having to return home from a foreign port. And they still would have been out the cruisefare.

The rules are clearly stated in the cruise contract. It always amazes me when people think it does not apply to them. The first offer from RCI to me was generous and standard in the industry.

Dave

I can't see the video, but from what I gather of the story, RCI did more than should be required of them. The family suffered a tragedy, for which I have sympathy. But . . . should people come away thinking, "Hey, I don't need cruise insurance. If anything bad happens, I just need to make a big media stink about how uncaring the cruiseline is and extort compensation out of them, despite the fact that I took the risk of forgoing insurance."

Where does humanitarianism intersect with business? Um, usually Never because businesses are not human.

They refunded the dead man's fare. If they open the door just this once, a zillion people will storm it, demanding refunds for far less extreme circumstances.

Insurance is available to everyone.

One word here...INSURANCE...reported poorly and RCCL offer was fair without insurance...we never travel without insurance...on our last cruise, our friend had to go to the doctor and it cost 150.00...when he got home he got a full refund from the insurance company...need I say more!

We missed a cruise on Royal Caribbean. The night before we were informed that my 38 yr old son was in the hospital with heart and kidney failure.He was on vacation in Las Vegas from Indiana, We were already in Florida waiting to cruise. We flew to Vegas early the next day. Anyway, I called RC and got the same story about not refunding due to no ins. However, when all the dust settled several weeks later, my TA went to bat for us and we recieved a 75% refund. We were very grateful as they didn't have to do anything. Hey, news station. do a piece on that.

I think someone in that area needs to call the news station and be like....I have some problems with a story you did. I'd like to see more information because I think you suck at reporting.

I'm serious. This is CRAP.

Obviously very sorry for the family - what a horrible thing to happen!! :( But the bill in the mail and the fact they didn't have insurance??....

I sent response to Ms Hogan about her report not being balanced and inaccurate. Yes, it was a tragedy about the lady's husband. The report should have been more on Why insurance is needed when you cruise.

Looking at the photos that they showed, it does not appear to be the family's first cruise. Also if they had the travel insurance, bringing her husband home would have been paid for.

They are lucky in a sense that this did not happen while onboard. It would have either been a med-evac or having to return home from a foreign port. And they still would have been out the cruisefare.

The rules are clearly stated in the cruise contract. It always amazes me when people think it does not apply to them. The first offer from RCI to me was generous and standard in the industry.

Dave

I was looking for an e-mail address as well. Couldn't find it though. It is truly a bad investigative reporter when you put a company in a bad light even if they go beyond what they are supposed to do.

Sure we all feel sorry for the family. But let's not forget that if the family and friends (over 20!!!) would have properly planned this would be a non issue. Accountability is at an all time low.

Cheerleader? We are asking for personel accountability. We all feel sorry for the lady but it does not take away from poor planing or, if she on purpose refused insurance, accountability.

Why does it has to be that everybody's health problem, death and other personal problems becomes the responsibility of someone else?

Do you think if she and her husband, based on double income, would have rented or bought a house and once one dies the mortgage company or landlord would have said: sure, just break the lease (mortgage)?

Get real.

While I feel sympathy for the woman for her loss, the rest of the story was nonsense. And her comment about how hard it was to see the ship sail off came off wrong to me too... I would be there thinking about losing the love of my life instead of missing out on a family cruise.

You pay for your cruise up front, and if you're smart you buy insurance to cover those things you just can not predict. And as those photos implied, they were not new to cruising so the concept of trip insurance should not be out of her realm of knowledge. They chose not to pay for the insurance and she learned the hard way what it can mean when things go wrong.

That news station had no business covering that story as they did. I agree with the earlier poster who said that the focus should have been on the importance of buying travel insurance!

It's a terrible tragedy to have something like this happen in your life. But I have to agree, that is what insurance is for.

To have a news story be so slanted that it makes the company out in a bad light for offering to refund the husband's entire fare and 75% of everyone else's fares, WHEN NO INSURANCE WAS PURCHASED, is bad reporting.

Our friends are booking their first cruise at this moment. They are planning on Liberty the last week of June. I told the husband that they must buy insurance and get it either with the deposit or within 14 days of the deposit, because the wife has a pre-existing medical condition, as well as his father, who is joining them. If something were to happen to the wife just days before the cruise and they had to cancel, w/o the insurance purchased at the proper time, they would recoup nothing. They needed to be aware of the pre-existing medical condition issue.

I understand that most of the time, the insurance is not needed. But all you need is 1 time...needing to be evacuated from a foreign port, getting sick or injured on the ship, etc., to realize that the small amount spent against a cruise fare of thousands (in most cases) is a pittance when you really need it.

I was looking for an e-mail address as well. Couldn't find it though. It is truly a bad investigative reporter when you put a company in a bad light even if they go beyond what they are supposed to do.

Sure we all feel sorry for the family. But let's not forget that if the family and friends (over 20!!!) would have properly planned this would be a non issue. Accountability is at an all time low.

They dont provide an email for her, but I used the form they provided to send the message. On their website, click on the button for Contacting Susan Hogan and Call for Action.

Or you leave a message through their comment form which probably will have more people look at it from the station.

http://ww2.wpri.com/Global/story.asp?S=1523382&nav=menu20_12_9_6

Dave

Dave

I clicked on a link to send a response but the link doesn't work. Can you help out and provide a link?

THANKS for posting in above thread!

Archived