Cruiseline refuses to refund trip

Even if you go to Carnival, hope you get insurance. I had friends that were denied boarding because the daughter had thrown up (she does this every month at that time) so they said she could not cruise. Her mom and dad and brother we welcomed to board but not her. They did not have cruise insurance and got nothing in return except the same as RCI offered. 75% on furture cruise.

On my local TV station last evening I was watching this report:

http://ww2.wpri.com/global/Category.asp?c=38568 video on right

I'm really a compassionate person and I don't want to sound callous to this poor woman's terrible ordeal. But I can't believe the way this was reported!

Especially the part where the reporter indicates that a "bill" was waiting in the mail when the family arrived home! We all know that is not true!! A cruise has to be paid 90 days out...sheesh!

Of course, the story also brushes over the travel insurance part as well.

Again, I do feel very sorry for the family, it is the reporting that I have such a problem with. It gives cruises in general a bad name when such shoddy reporting is done.

HI AlphaKitty,

You hit the nail on the head when to said 'Shoddy Reporting'. Even the tone in which they reported was so slanted. WPRI is a local station for me as well (Cranston) and I had an experience with them this past Thanksgiving when they ran a story without the full information. Just makes me shake my head in disgust because so many people rely on news reporters for "Fair and Accurate" information and assume that if it's coming from the reporter then it MUST be true.

Interesting to watch the video.

The reporting surely could have been more accurate by specifically indicating that there are policies etc...

The woman making a complaint about not being able to pay for the cruise, make it sound like perhaps she should not have been going on a cruise to start with if they couldn't afford it.

Sounds like she is worried about money now...did they not have any Life Insurance? If not that sounds like another bad choice on their part, but that does not give them the right to then expect society or other travelers (in the case of the cruise) to pay for their mistakes. RCCL refunding them just adds to the cost of other cruisers, just like theft in retail outlets raise the cost for those who pay for their purchases.

Reporting was bad, the traveling family made some bad choices. Ultimately RCCL did the right thing by giving the money back and being compassionate. I bet the hotel also helped, that is the hospitality industry.

The reporters aren't going to make it in the big time until they learn how to offer balanced reports.

I just don't get it. It's a tragic situation, no doubt about that. The bottom line though is that my DH and I have auto insurance, home insurance (including earthquake and flood because we live in CA near the coast), life insurance, medical insurance. Of course we buy travel insurance (and have used it more than once)! I'm not unsympathetic at all, but it's not my responsibility to pay higher fares because someone else refused to buy travel insurance and then complained loudly enough about the "unsympathic" or "mean" or "bad" cruise line that the cruise line refunded their money anyway. I feel the same way when people don't bother to have home insurance and then want the government (that is, our tax dollars) to pay to have their home rebuilt after a fire, flood, or other act of God.

What a nasty story with plenty of inaccuracies. The whole concept of the cruise line not being "sympathetic" enough is absurd. It's a business. What they did was more than they had to do. If they refunded everyone who had to cancel because of a family tragedy or health issue, then we'd all be paying more for our cruises--and the penalty phases would be meaningless.

beachchick

What a nasty story with plenty of inaccuracies. The whole concept of the cruise line not being "sympathetic" enough is absurd. It's a business. What they did was more than they had to do. If they refunded everyone who had to cancel because of a family tragedy or health issue, then we'd all be paying more for our cruises--and the penalty phases would be meaningless.

beachchick

Well said Beach Chick!

The "real world" is "real" and we all are expected to take care of ourselves and live with the consequences of not doing the right thing.

Life is all about personal responsibility!

The Good Fairy is not real and waiting to fix things for us.

I've never set foot on an RCI ship, but this story was horrible and full of inaccuracies. The reporter should be ashamed of herself! RCI did more than they had to; they were compassionate. The pictures show they cruised before; they should be aware of the cruiseline policies. And to cry to the TV station less than 3 weeks after the incident happened? Unbelievable. While it's a horrible situation, and I have sympathy towards the family, this is the classic example of why you have insurance!

I just don't get it. It's a tragic situation, no doubt about that. The bottom line though is that my DH and I have auto insurance, home insurance (including earthquake and flood because we live in CA near the coast), life insurance, medical insurance. Of course we buy travel insurance (and have used it more than once)! I'm not unsympathetic at all, but it's not my responsibility to pay higher fares because someone else refused to buy travel insurance and then complained loudly enough about the "unsympathic" or "mean" or "bad" cruise line that the cruise line refunded their money anyway. I feel the same way when people don't bother to have home insurance and then want the government (that is, our tax dollars) to pay to have their home rebuilt after a fire, flood, or other act of God.

beachchick

Well said Beach Chick!

The "real world" is "real" and we all are expected to take care of ourselves and live with the consequences of not doing the right thing.

Life is all about personal responsibility!

The Good Fairy is not real and waiting to fix things for us.

Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks for putting this is perspective.

No, video is still there. Just not the forum topic.

I'm not sure why I am completely outraged by this :mad:

Maybe its the fact that we constantly are fed misinformation by the news agencies who only have an agenda of their own.

I'm angry that the reporting is obviously one sided. It's hard to see when you don't know the ins and outs of something like we do here (in regards to cruising), but the thought of anyone who has never cruised (RCCL or other) sees that show and now thinks that cruising is a horrible affair.

Obviously there is the responsiblity of oursevles to do our own research and make our own conclusions but how can such garbage be allowed to air?

Here in Canada there is a media standards guide that you can contact if you disagree with something that has been posted on a news agency/radio/tv/ etc. Is there anything like that in the US?

I'm also angry that the contact link for the news reporter is not working.

I'm angry they took down the post - do they think we will just forget?

Maybe I'm making too much out of this but seriously, this thing has me infuriated :mad:

I'm also angry that the contact link for the news reporter is not working.

I'm angry they took down the post - do they think we will just forget?

Maybe I'm making too much out of this but seriously, this thing has me infuriated :mad:

When I last checked, there were 4 responses on there. Seems 4 of us infuruated someone. :rolleyes: I know the last one had a link to this site. In my direct email to the station, I had also sent this link.

Now we need someone from that viewing area to watch and see if the station airs a segment on all the people that have complained about bias reporting.

kingsgirl, I meant to add in my last post.......

You ask if you are making too much of this. I remember when the news use to report the news, not try to create it. Maybe if enough people start complaining about all the bias that is in the news, they will go back to doing so (I say with hope but doubt it will happen.) :rolleyes:

I believe it was an old tv show (Dragnet?) where the character said, "just the facts, sir/ma'am." That's what the news should be.

Maybe Royal Caribbean can write off the refund as a donation (for tax purposes): :mad::mad::mad:

* * * Charles Martens Memorial Fund * * *

As many of our Portsmouth families and friends are aware, Chuck Martens died unexpectedly on January 13, 2008. Chuck spent many years supporting our Portsmouth's youth baseball, football, and soccer organizations. Without his effort, time, and dedication, these programs may have not been as successful in enriching the life's of our children/youth within our community. Chuck spent countless hours volunteering his time to many Portsmouth sports and youth activities.

Anyone wishing to donate to this fund in Chuck's memory can send a check to the Charles Martens Memorial Fund c/o The North End Pizzeria, 3030 East Main Road, Portsmouth, R.I. 02871 or c/o Portsmouth Babe Ruth - P.O. Box 602 - Portsmouth, RI 02871.

Chuck was a dedicated family man, friend, and contributor to the Portsmouth community and will be greatly missed by so many of us. Please keep Chuck's family in your thoughts and prayers.

The Sinclair family of North End Pizza has established a memorial fund for the Martens family. Please send all donations to:

Chuck Martens Memorial Fund

C/O North End Pizza

3030 East Main Rd

Portsmouth,RI 02871

The community will miss Chuck greatly. His life was dedicated to his family, Portsmouth youth sports and his friends. Chuck volunteered tirelessly and never missed Nick or C.J.'s practices or games. He was all about the kids having fun and enjoying the sport in season; baseball, soccer or football.

Please keep the Martens in your prayers!

I've never set foot on an RCI ship, but this story was horrible and full of inaccuracies. The reporter should be ashamed of herself! RCI did more than they had to; they were compassionate. The pictures show they cruised before; they should be aware of the cruiseline policies. And to cry to the TV station less than 3 weeks after the incident happened? Unbelievable. While it's a horrible situation, and I have sympathy towards the family, this is the classic example of why you have insurance!

I am really glad that Carnival cruisers are on the side of RCI. An issue like that can be a death blow for any cruise line if the practice of just canceling with full refund the day of sailing becomes a habit.

If Carnival would have been the cruise line I certainly would have joined you as well.

;)

They struck down the new thread too! Apparently they believe it is better to admit to no wrongs, even when they are obvious!

This whole thing is bull. What is the point in an email, or forum post if they are DELETED or not responded to?

Still looking to contact the news reporter directly. No luck through the website. I wonder if that is on purpose - probably.

Anyone know if there are guidelines for reporting news in the area where this was reported? Some type of standards council that can be appealed to?

Archived