Cruiseline refuses to refund trip

I sent my comments directly to the station and of course got no response. I'm eyeing the Form 2000E - Media (General) Complaint

at the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) website where you can spell out their mishandling of the story.

If you can, please post a link if there is one.

I started a new thread... "Cruise Refund Discussion Deletion - #3".

I still see yours but I cannot access it. I wonder if they are just going to block them? Block us?

If there is a competing station in the area, they might be interested in this. They can report that a station in the area had a story that was inaccurate, and when views pointed out the problem with the story, it was covered up.

Just a thought.

If there is a competing station in the area, they might be interested in this. They can report that a station in the area had a story that was inaccurate, and when views pointed out the problem with the story, it was covered up.

Just a thought.

That is a great idea. Anyone from here who knows another station?

Deletion of posts to news station..... I guess we struck a nerve.

FL_cruiser, thank you for posting about the gentleman. It is sad that a man that devoted so much time to helping kids was taken so young. I'm sure the community will miss him.

Unfortunately being a nice guy doesn't negate their not having insurance and RCI being made the bad guy with the slant the story had. (and I know that you didn't post it to make it seem so)

It would fit under MEDIA wouldn't it?

see page:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints_general.html

Link for NEWS FORUM Posting :

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/wpri/TGFJET6KDFJ0M8S13

I doubt that sending an email to this group will do any good. Bias in reporting occurs all the time.

A better choice might be to find out who the station manager is and contact that person. I wouldn't expect that to make a difference but it may lead to a story on the importance of having trip insurance.

You know if you can't afford to loose your cruise monies then take out isurance like the rest of us - if you can't afford the cruise insurance - well then you probably shouldn't be cruising either since you probably can't areally afford that either.

I doubt that sending an email to this group will do any good. Bias in reporting occurs all the time.

A better choice might be to find out who the station manager is and contact that person. I wouldn't expect that to make a difference but it may lead to a story on the importance of having trip insurance.

Do you think there is a different between a bias and actual FALSE reporting though?

The bill couldn't have been from RCI, so that is a lie.

Deletion of posts to news station..... I guess we struck a nerve.

FL_cruiser, thank you for posting about the gentleman. It is sad that a man that devoted so much time to helping kids was taken so young. I'm sure the community will miss him.

Unfortunately being a nice guy doesn't negate their not having insurance and RCI being made the bad guy with the slant the story had. (and I know that you didn't post it to make it seem so)

While Chuck Martens was probably a nice guy this whole memorial fund based on his legacy plays more into the field of 'getting money out of everything' which essentially is what Christine Martens done with Royal Caribbean.

A woman who in short order is attempting to grab money from every which angle makes me extremely uncomfortable.

It puts the reporting in regards too her watching the ship sail away, this quick attacking Royal Caribbean within 18 days on a news channel into perspective.

I know a lot of people here probably believe in the goodness of people first and foremost but in my book I judge people by their actions. And while it is hard to believe for many that an ulterior motive arose you have to really look at the story and lay down the time line as I have attempted with my letter to the news station (as posted in post #33 of this thread).

In the beginning it was just the reporting which was disturbing but the more I look into it the more I have doubts in many more ways.

Especially of a news station is so protective of its investigation and refuses to get the whole story.

While Chuck Martens was probably a nice guy this whole memorial fund based on his legacy plays more into the field of 'getting money out of everything' which essentially is what Christine Martens done with Royal Caribbean.

A woman who in short order is attempting to grab money from every which angle makes me extremely uncomfortable.

It puts the reporting in regards too her watching the ship sail away, this quick attacking Royal Caribbean within 18 days on a news channel into perspective.

I know a lot of people here probably believe in the goodness of people first and foremost but in my book I judge people by their actions. And while it is hard to believe for many that an ulterior motive arose you have to really look at the story and lay down the time line as I have attempted with my letter to the news station (as posted in post #33 of this thread).

In the beginning it was just the reporting which was disturbing but the more I look into it the more I have doubts in many more ways.

Especially of a news station is so protective of its investigation and refuses to get the whole story.

I totally disagree with you. If is very common in small communities for funds to be set up to help with college expenses and other needs of the surviving children when a parent dies so young. You don't know if the widow set up these funds, many times from my experience, they are set up by people in the organizations the family was involved in.

While I agree that the news story was way off base, I think you accusations are equally off base.

Just a thought.

I had the same thought.

FL, while I don't disagree with you that the widow wanted to *get* RCI a memorial fund is different.

A dear friend lost her husband and they had 4 young children. A memorial fund was set up in his name so the money could go into it for the education of his children. That is not something that is uncommon.

I stand by what I said, either here or in the now deleted thread and included in my email to the station.... the lady was made an offer by RCI and she didn't like it so she called the station. It was clearly a case of trying to get something for their irresponsibility in not having insurance. The fact that the reporter did not take the time to get the facts on RCIs policy and glazed over the mention of trip insurance shows that Ms Hogan was biased in reporting false information.

note.... I should have been using the word biased as that is defined as to influence or effect unduly or unfairly.

I sent an email to Regent Ducas at ABC 6.

All the comments in regards to the setting up of a trust fund for the family. We don't know any real information about that and I think we should leave it alone. It's not our place to judge on that. I think we should stick to the issue with the news reporting.

I totally disagree with you. If is very common in small communities for funds to be set up to help with college expenses and other needs of the surviving children when a parent dies so young. You don't know if the widow set up these funds, many times from my experience, they are set up by people in the organizations the family was involved in.

While I agree that the news story was way off base, I think you accusations are equally off base.

I agree with this. I think the focus needs to stay on the biased reporting, not bashing the widow.

There are memorial funds set up all the time, especially when there are minor children involved. Here, in my area, it is not all all uncommon.

FL, while I don't disagree with you that the widow wanted to *get* RCI a memorial fund is different.

A dear friend lost her husband and they had 4 young children. A memorial fund was set up in his name so the money could go into it for the education of his children. That is not something that is uncommon.

I stand by what I said, either here or in the now deleted thread and included in my email to the station.... the lady was made an offer by RCI and she didn't like it so she called the station. It was clearly a case of trying to get something for their irresponsibility in not having insurance. The fact that the reporter did not take the time to get the facts on RCIs policy and glazed over the mention of trip insurance shows that Ms Hogan was biased in reporting false information.

note.... I should have been using the word biased as that is defined as to influence or effect unduly or unfairly.

OK. Noted. I understood the fund to go to her.

I sent an email to Regent Ducas at ABC 6.

All the comments in regards to the setting up of a trust fund for the family. We don't know any real information about that and I think we should leave it alone. It's not our place to judge on that. I think we should stick to the issue with the news reporting.

I did too. To that Channel 10 place as well.

What I don't understand is why she is solely going against the cruise line for this, especially since they are not responsible for refunding her any monies. Alot of credit card companies will refund you your money, especially in a situation such as hers. Kudoos to Royal Caribbean for stepping up. And it is stories like these that make me not watch the news.

What I don't understand is why she is solely going against the cruise line for this, especially since they are not responsible for refunding her any monies. Alot of credit card companies will refund you your money, especially in a situation such as hers.

Because her credit card company probably already told her it was too late to file a dispute since it had to have been paid more than 70 days before the cruise (many companies have a limit of 60 to 90 days within which you can file a dispute). Plus once the card company researched it, they would've told her that RCCL was due it's money per the cruise contract. OR they paid for the cruise by check which gave them no protection whatsover.

The only reason I can think of that a credit card company would refund money in a situation like this is if the card itself offered automatic travel insurance protection.

Archived