What Kind of Food Do Cruisers Eat At Home?

gemsm

I am just curious because I hear so much about food being mediocre, bad, small portions, etc...

I just was curious what people expect and is it based on how you normally dine at home.

To me anything that I don't have to cook, clean up after, is tasty, and satisfies my hunger that isn't spaghetti O's or hamburger helper could not be considered mediocre or bad.

I agree, food for 2000 cannot compare to the high price restaurants in the big cities. It is more of a wedding meal type of thing to us.

I laugh at that "food is like____________pick your restaurant" because I eat at many of them and the food is fine.

At home we eat chicken, steak, pork chops, roast, burgers and dogs, pizza etc. Breakfast is cereal, pancakes etc so all is good on the ship as far as I am concerned.

In fact, we go with the steak or chicken choice sometimes because the choices are too fancy for us.

Give me a piece of beef and a baked potato and I am happy as can be.

I eat hot food. That was a huge issue with me on the Dawn last week (with the buffet only). Most of the non made to order food was cold, not tepid, cold.

I had no issue with the restaurant food.

We just eat regular southern cooking at home. Nothing fancy. Tonight we're having pork chops, sweet potatoes, hominy (DH's favorite) and peach jello with peaches (another DH favorite). The great thing about cruise ship food is that if you don't like something you can get something else! We love trying new things. Perhaps that comes from living overseas and traveling all over this country, as well as Europe. Not having to shop, cook and clean up just might be the best part of the cruise for me! :p

I personally liked the food when we sailed on the Sun last year.

Lets see, this last week I made lavendar and redwine infused beef roast, chicken curry with lentils and wild rice, shrimp and scallops with coconut & lime sauce, and kashmir chicken.

I pair most foods with a salad, or a steamed veggie depending on the season and what I can get.

Tonight is jerk cornish hen night :D Its rare for me to bother with desserts at home, I don't bother much with them on vacation either.

-Q

I cook a hot meal almost every night! But, I, too, eat at the "mainstream" restaurants on occassion, but I don't feel they are very "upscale". On a cruise, that's what I'm looking for! Something special and memorable, with great presentation and taste!

Archived