I hate the "Premium" label.

Drew B

That's funny! :)

I think that is actually part of the reason I dislike the premium label for X and HAL. Want a nice coffee? A bottle of water? A soda? They'll need your sea pass card. That seems more mass market than premium to me.

It sounds like you equate "premium" with receiving things complimentary. I'm not sure why anyone would think that. If you stay at a very expensive Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons and pay $500+ a night, you are still not going to receive free water or sodas. In fact you will pay more for it then at a Holiday Inn. You are basically paying for the service, the space, the refinements and attention to detail.

If you want water, soda, etc. included then step up to a luxury line which is mostly all-inclusive. Believe me, you will still pay for it, just upfront instead of the point of sale.

Ernie

It sounds like you equate "premium" with receiving things complimentary. I'm not sure why anyone would think that. If you stay at a very expensive Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons and pay $500+ a night, you are still not going to receive free water or sodas. In fact you will pay more for it then at a Holiday Inn. You are basically paying for the service, the space, the refinements and attention to detail.

If you want water, soda, etc. included then step up to a luxury line which is mostly all-inclusive. Believe me, you will still pay for it, just upfront instead of the point of sale.

Ernie

You make a good point but when asked what makes X a premium line, many cite the free glass of Korbel on boarding, the sorbet by the pool, etc.

I'm looking forward to having another chance to try Celebrity with more realistic expectations. all of this "premium" mojo really tainted our first go at it.

I'm looking forward to having another chance to try Celebrity with more realistic expectations. all of this "premium" mojo really tainted our first go at it.

I agree when you label something "premium" it can set a false expectation. The core product of Celebrity is really no different than Royal Caribbean or other mass-market lines. What it comes down to is a little more attention to detail (such as champagne upon arrival, sorbet by the pool, linen lined trays, etc), slightly better food and service, and a little more elegant and refined decor and atmosphere (not so many revenue producing announcements).

I usually put my expectations in line with what I am paying. For the most part Celebrity is no more expensive than Royal Caribbean so I don't expect that much more. In fact many Royal Caribbean cruises are more than Celebrity. When I sail on Silversea the fare is substantially higher than Celebrity so I expect a lot more. Thankfully they deliver. For me it's more about the value I am receiving for my dollar then the actual label placed on the brand. I don't feel I pay a lot for Celebrity (relatively speaking), and therefore I feel I am getting a great value. I mean Celebrity really costs no more then most mass-market lines, yet the details and refinements are a bit nicer. I consider that a very good value.

Ernie

I gave up putting meaning to advertising words like premium back when all cruises were called "luxury". It was a meaningless term. For cruise lines with many ships (I promised myself not to use the mainstream label) it seems that there isn't much difference in price anymore. It comes down to the amenities that individuals want in a vacation. Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and NCL market to those who want a more physically active and/or family vacation. Celebrity goes for the those are use to staying in the better hotels. HAL and Princess try for both the short cruise customer and the longer, exotic cruise market. All I can say is viva la difference. I enjoy them all.

I agree when you label something "premium" it can set a false expectation. The core product of Celebrity is really no different than Royal Caribbean or other mass-market lines. What it comes down to is a little more attention to detail (such as champagne upon arrival, sorbet by the pool, linen lined trays, etc), slightly better food and service, and a little more elegant and refined decor and atmosphere (not so many revenue producing announcements).

I usually put my expectations in line with what I am paying. For the most part Celebrity is no more expensive than Royal Caribbean so I don't expect that much more. In fact many Royal Caribbean cruises are more than Celebrity. When I sail on Silversea the fare is substantially higher than Celebrity so I expect a lot more. Thankfully they deliver. For me it's more about the value I am receiving for my dollar then the actual label placed on the brand. I don't feel I pay a lot for Celebrity (relatively speaking), and therefore I feel I am getting a great value. I mean Celebrity really costs no more then most mass-market lines, yet the details and refinements are a bit nicer. I consider that a very good value.

Ernie

Very well put, Ernie. I couldn't agree more.

Hi Schplinky! I was on the phone the other day, looked at the calendar and the clock and thought "Whoo Hoo!" right about now I'll be boarding the Solstice!!!!!!!

Eroller, You're absolutely right. To me, the "feel" of the cruise is just a touch different. We were on Constellation in April, then Voyager of the Seas in November. Both were terrific cruises, but the little things created a totally different atmosphere. I think X creates a little more "bang for the buck".

I find it absolutely useless, at least with regard to Celebrity. I think that the comparison most people make between lines is based on price point. Celebrity prices are comparable, in large part, to the so-called "mainstream" lines. Costs on Celebrity are substantially LESS than on Oceania or Azamara or Disney (lines which may, in fact, require a different designation), but they are largely on par with HAL and Princess and RCCL and even NCL and Carnival.

It seems to me that all we get from the premium label is an opportunity for Celebrity proponants to gloat and hold their line above other lines based on nothing concrete. We also get an opportunity for Celebrity bashers to bash, unreasonably expecting more because it is considered a "premium" line. What good does any of this do us? Seriously?

I prefer to think of Celebrity as a mainstream line. Like all the lines, they offer some things that are better than the other lines. I'd rather that the discussion be about concrete differences that makes some people prefer X rather than simply some nebulous, useless comment. For example, the space to passenger ratio on X is a really good thing that can be shown empirically. That is worth discussing. That is something that people can make a good decision on. Each of the other lines also has its strengths and those can be discussed, too. That way, people can find the line that excels in the areas that are important to them individually. Artificial distinctions like Premium vs. Mainstream don't help at all. At least not in this case.

Thoughts?

Celebrity IS Premium as the Celebrity 'preferred passenger' is as the ad goes "Celebrity". Those that don't prefer Celebrity are merely 'everyday people' (crackheads like Sly Stone, or is he a Celebrity?) anyway, when service is 'off' its an everyday cruise line, my everyday cruiseline, like my everyday Versace ware...

Seriously... I agree. I think the 'premium' moniker originated with Douglas Ward. It's a designation the company sort of enjoyed and strived for. The creation of Azamara made the silliness of catagory designations REALLY apparent when 'de luxe' as opposed to 'luxury' descriptively got tossed about. I suppose price point is everything in a market oriented economy.

"Traditional" or "formal" might be more discriptive and distinguishing from certain lines that are pricier but less formal (ie. Oceana)

Ultimately, its up to the consumer to do the research to distinguish marketing fluff from true indicators of service and product 'style' then check the price and decide...

In sum, jabberwoky!

"premium" is what I would use to describe the old Celebrity.....maybe 10 or so years ago. It was a a big step up from other lines in my opinion, and attracted a completely different demographic........

Sadly, while X still has some good points, now its like a crap shoot based on itineraries, dates and ships.

I still prefer X being an old softy, but even I wouldn't call it premium anymore, its barely upper mass market at this point, but sliding downhill as we speak.

The little things that made it a premium line were details in adhearance to the tradition of cruising which included things like dress codes...etc.....now thats all changing with the current ME attitudes, need to fill more berths, shorter cruises, cheaper prices and the completely different demographics as opposed ten years ago.

sad.

Dave:eek:

My last few cruises have been on NCL -feeling they have more suites and they treat the suite customers well--

One thing that annoys me about NCL--are the lack of trays in the buffet--and they dont have beverage service--so you are juggling a plate a drink-

How are the buffets handles on X??

X has trays, and they usuually have staff that offer to carry them for you to your table.

We also noticed on RCL at the buffet areas they don't have trays either so it was a juggling act for us as well.

The thing that irked me about the X buffet was even if you only wanted one or two things, you had to line up to be passed cutlery and plate and had to stand in the long line until it got to what you wanted. We were more used to action stations and I'm wondering if this was an isolated, illness-related thing (Connie had noro issues before we got on) or if it is what always happens. I'm hoping I can grab a plate and just take the things I like without joining the long line.

"Premium" is a relative term, as compared in this case to "mainstream" or "luxury." The term is defined by Merriam-Webster as "something over and above; usually of a higher value; a high value or a value in excess of that normally expected; exceptional quality or amount." Whether X falls into that category is a subjective call based on one's own experience, though a number of cruise guides continue to identify X as a premium line. IMHO, I think X remains a step above the mainstream lines, though admittedly, some subtle changes over the last several years have narrowed the gap a bit.

The buffet on any of the X ships I've been on is Cafeteria style...which is wait in line........as opposed to the stations on RCL ships where you can zoom in and zoom out.

X usually has both sides going, and one side is always more crowed than the other so scope it out and then go for it......

I do understand your perception though. I usually grab a few pieces of sliced fruit, a small salad, and a small piece of an entree item, where sometimes others in front of me are loading up their plates like the ship is going down and they are grabbing their last meal. However I have gone back for things and waited for a break in the line for items like butter pats, or even deserts as that is the end section of the buffet and the server is not always that busy.

Celebrity IS Premium as the Celebrity 'preferred passenger' is as the ad goes "Celebrity". Those that don't prefer Celebrity are merely 'everyday people' (crackheads like Sly Stone, or is he a Celebrity?) anyway, when service is 'off' its an everyday cruise line, my everyday cruiseline, like my everyday Versace ware...

Seriously... I agree. I think the 'premium' moniker originated with Douglas Ward. It's a designation the company sort of enjoyed and strived for. The creation of Azamara made the silliness of catagory designations REALLY apparent when 'de luxe' as opposed to 'luxury' descriptively got tossed about. I suppose price point is everything in a market oriented economy.

"Traditional" or "formal" might be more discriptive and distinguishing from certain lines that are pricier but less formal (ie. Oceana)

Ultimately, its up to the consumer to do the research to distinguish marketing fluff from true indicators of service and product 'style' then check the price and decide...

In sum, jabberwoky!

Hi Woodofpine :)

I was intrigued by your comment about Douglas Ward because he is the reason we initially decided to try Celebrity. Eight years ago when my husband and I were doing research for an Alaskan Cruise, I bought one of Ward's books where his raves about Celebrity had a great influence on us.

What is interesting is that we had been on a number of cruises before then, and none of the travel agents we had worked with even mentioned Celebrity. Then when we decided to book our Alaskan Cruise on Infinity, which was being built at the time, several travel agents tried to convince us to take a different cruise line, but Douglas Ward's words made us go with Celebrity anyway.

Since then I have discovered that some travel agents love Celebrity, while others try to convince us to sail on a different cruise line.

I will still read reviews by Douglas Ward, but find that I no longer agree with many of his opinions.

"premium" is what I would use to describe the old Celebrity.....maybe 10 or so years ago. It was a a big step up from other lines in my opinion, and attracted a completely different demographic........

Sadly, while X still has some good points, now its like a crap shoot based on itineraries, dates and ships.

I still prefer X being an old softy, but even I wouldn't call it premium anymore, its barely upper mass market at this point, but sliding downhill as we speak.

The little things that made it a premium line were details in adhearance to the tradition of cruising which included things like dress codes...etc.....now thats all changing with the current ME attitudes, need to fill more berths, shorter cruises, cheaper prices and the completely different demographics as opposed ten years ago.

sad.

There will always be upscale lines where folks can find the tradition of cruising they seek.

Many of us are looking for a nice affordable cruise with a great itinerary.

If that’s mass market then so be it.

Time and traditions change.

We may or may not like it but it’s a fact.

Whatever you call the label really doesn’t matter it’s JUST a point of reference and category defined by the industry. I think to put a cruise line in a category is not as accurate as to assign the label to a ship/sailing in given period of period of time. IMHO – Based on our sailings the ship and sailing had more to do with how I would rate them than the cruise line itself.

There may be some functional value in the term for the cruise line itself.

One thing that's struck me in my time on this forum section is how X Fans greatly value the service on X ships, & view it as better (yes, 'Premium') and a real selling point for the line.

Whether WE think Celebrity is 'mass market' or 'premium' is one thing, but the vision & attitude of the management and particularly the CREW can be impacted by labels & presentation.

In other words, if the crew think they're working a premium line & product, they might try that little bit harder. On the other hand, if they feel like they're working the 'Also Ran of the Seas,' well...

Richard.

Whatever you call the label really doesn’t matter it’s JUST a point of reference and category defined by the industry. I think to put a cruise line in a category is not as accurate as to assign the label to a ship/sailing in given period of period of time. IMHO – Based on our sailings the ship and sailing had more to do with how I would rate them than the cruise line itself.

Hi XCruiser :)

I agree with you. As an example, we were on Constellation twice during the same year and the experience was toally different. On our Baltic Cruise the service and food was excellent, but when we took our Caribbean Cruise five months later on the same ship, it was average, at best.

Even though the itinerary was completely different I was surprised to see such a variance in the quality of what should have been similar.

It might be just a coincidence but I have found that there has been a relationship between how much I pay for a Celebrity Cruise and its level of service and quality of food.

This has also been our experience. We've had terrific cruises on just about every cruise line. What has made these trips stand out have been interesting/unique itineraries, a well run ship, and compatible fellow passengers. That combination doesn't happen on every cruise no matter which line. You can pick the itinerary, select a ship you hope is in top form, and pray for compatible passengers. It's a premium experience for us when we hit the all three.

I truly agree. After this last CHEAP, SHORT Century cruise, there was NO Comparisson to the longer ( with the exception of the 2 nighter ) itineraries on this particular ship. ALL of our memories with Century, minus the last cruise this January were memorable, and we felt we were treated to the Celebrity treatment...this last shortie felt like we were in a bad B rate movie instead of a feature.

Dave

Archived