Tipping Tips

ddelve

Thanks Mathew, I think you are a classy guy. I liked the story about the family. I too from reading these boards and interaction have learned a lot. Two examples one I offer coffee after desert to U.K. and European guest. And I am not offended by 10%, from U.K. guests. (less than 10% hurts).

The Auto tip may be enough, I just like to give a little extra.

How people are compensated is a little like which side of the road you drive on. I know it is easy to just feel like the way one does it at home is correct.

Tom in Long Beach

Please do not get me wrong we appreciate the business, But

seems to me that some people from the U.K. can be overly thrifty when it comes to tips.

This is coming from someone who has been told by people from the U.K. that the food and service were outstanding and still gotten a less than 10% tip.... Then they try to act all innocent like they do not know that service people in the U.S. or on cruise ships depend on tips...

Or that people in the U.S. pay taxes based on food sales.

Then they go on to brag about how they are on a three months holiday, and want you to feel sorry for them if they have jet lagg. I wish I was somewhere with jet lagg.:D

Our code name for people like this is "lovelys". Because when you ask them how everything was they say "lovely". But do not tip accordingly.

Tom in Long Beach, who works on the first Queen Mary

BTW When I cruise, I leave on the auto tip because it goes to a lot of people and then give a bit extra to those that personally give me good service. I am sure that the crew member's families back home could use the extra money.

I have only sailed in Britannia and always gotten good service on QM2.

(Todd English & Lotus were also excellent)

I have also recieved excellent service on all my Carnival cruises.

Just a mute point but one thought that jet lag was from leaving the usa and arriving in the UK/ Europe not the other way around...

I only found out that people are paid a poor min wage from this type of forum, so not every one would visit such a forum and then be aware of this....perphaps one acting inocent might just be that.?

I think the main point on a number of posts was tipping for what you reiceve,,,whch should be good service...one would not expect a min 10-15% just because i put a plate of food infront of one.....

a number of threads in the last couple of months have stated the service was poor in the Britannia restaurant...if you are paying an automated tip what benefit is there for the waiter to shine.....

Yes i am sure that so and so on a particular crossing had excellent service from their waiter / wine waiter...but there are posts to the contary which show the service has been poor, since staff where sent to the Victoria...

As previously stated i will opt out of the automated tipping....but will have the cash put to one side and will pass this over on our last night to the purser...yes we will tip as we go along....

I have a lot of friends / relatives that work in the tourist sector and come into contact with a lot of brash, loud people who go way over the top in the way they tip, often voicing (sp) it....makes me cringe

you may call people from the UK "Lovelys" but i would be banned if i was to put on here what they call them.

only my thoughts

Brian

10% isn't a bad tip here. And I think it is reasonable to assume that a country such as America would have laws that didn't turn waiting staff into slaves. I know better, but lots don't. But I only know from discussing this question on here - it isn't well known in England.

On the other hand, I think it is fair to expect someone to make some efforts to find out what the norms are in a country that one is visiting. Americans are notoriously bad at this, taking their high tipping habits to places where it is quite inappropriate. It works both ways.

Matthew

How can tipping more be inappropriate? I have not heard of such nonsense. I don't think I brandish my money high up in the air when I tip more or accidentally tip twice - normally it is a day or two later when you realize that, so chuck it to lessons learned.

How can tipping more be inappropriate? I have not heard of such nonsense. I don't think I brandish my money high up in the air when I tip more or accidentally tip twice - normally it is a day or two later when you realize that, so chuck it to lessons learned.

You make my point for me.

There are places where tipping is seen as insulting.

Matthew

On all the cruises I have been on, I always tip my cabin steward, waiter and assistant, and wine waiter, usually at the end of the cruise. I have always received excellent service from them all. The one thing that really ticks me off however, happened in New York after a cruise. We went for breakfast in a diner and was given the bill which included a service charge:eek: obviously because we were Brits who don't normally give tips, or so they thought, I made it known to my waitress when I told her she would have had a better tip than the service charge. Next day, no service charge and all smiles. I do not, however, agree with a percentage "rule" when tipping. You should expect the same service whether you spend $20 or $100 so why would you give $2 to one and $10 to the second, but I am a Brit:D but not a poor Northern Brit:D :D

You make my point for me.

There are places where tipping is seen as insulting.

Matthew

The subject was Tipping on the ship, not anywhere else. While Cunard may have an international staff - they get acclimated to what the rest of the staff is doing, including accepting tips.

If you go out, a simple google will give you lots of hits. There is no point in insulting 'Americans' as a whole. It's like saying all of brits have bad teeth.

http://www.money.scotsman.com/scotsman/articles/articledisplay.jsp?article_id=3208005&section=Savings&prependForce=SM_

Tipping is always appropriate, I believe. Some countries build it into the charge for the product, some don't. But I find it absurd that any worker would be "insulted" by extra cash in his/her pocket. If you find the value you have received exceeds you expectations, then tip. If the service charge is already in the bill, then decide for yourself whether something extra is warranted. Please know that in the U.S., outside of cities with large numbers of European tourists (and for parties less than 6-8 people), the service charge will not be included in the bill. 15% for good service is at the low end of standard in NYC (20% for good service being my habit). We are talking about people who are living paycheck to to paycheck (in U.S. restaurants) who live on their tips. Regardless of whether you agree with the arrangement the owners have with the labor, this is the reality, so please don't punish the server who has been good to you simply to make a statement about what you believe is equitable.

Michael

Tipping is always appropriate, I believe. Some countries build it into the charge for the product, some don't. But I find it absurd that any worker would be "insulted" by extra cash in his/her pocket.

Odd or not, these places exist.

Regardless of whether you agree with the arrangement the owners have with the labor, this is the reality, so please don't punish the server who has been good to you simply to make a statement about what you believe is equitable.

Of course. As I said, it is about adapting to the country one is visiting. Which, as I said, works both ways.

And, in response to the Tayleur, I wasn't intending to "insult" all Americans. I have a feeling that there may well be many on this board who knew that anyway.

Matthew

We have to say that there does seem to be a myth that Brits don't tip.

Indeed I have seen many Americans who on a crossing regard the automatic charge of $66 as being it.

If you consider that on land you would probably pay around $200 a day per couple for the at least three meals consumed on the ship then this would require in the region of $216 dollars at US tipping rates for a six night crossing, on top of which you have your cabin steward and the other participating members of staff you never see.

We were advised early on that there is a tradition of giving extra which we are happy to do especially as apart from one early QM2 crossing the service on both the QM2 and QE2 has been way better than in many US and UK restaurants and hotels we have used.

We have also been amused on occasions to observe on the complexity of the tipping calculation especially in the US. Does one take the tax off before calculating the tip? Should the cost of the wine be taken off?

Surely good service deserves reward and worrying about fractions of a % demean this.

Chris and Pam

As well as there being divergent attitudes to the question of whether or not to tip beyond the service charge, there seems to be another split.

This is in the motive for tipping. One approach is to tip as a reward for service beyond what is expected. Another is to use the tip in advance as a sort of bribe to ensure better service than you would otherwise get or than others are getting. Not sure about that.

Jane

"Indeed I have seen many Americans who on a crossing regard the automatic charge of $66 as being it."

I have to reply to this....I am one of those Americans who regard the autotip as being it.....whatever the cruiseline calculates as being uniform.

I am not cheap. I thought the whole purpose of instituting the autotip was to replace (not augment) the passenger doing the calculations, finding the staff, and handing over cash. I thought it was to ensure that the staff (even the invisible ones who work hard out of sight) get some tip for their hard work. I am very surprised to hear that others do not view this as the intent of the autotip. Does anyone know if the staff also did not view the autotip as a real and sufficient tip?

Does anyone know if the staff also did not view the autotip as a real and sufficient tip?

One member of staff who serves/has served on a Cunarder to my knowledge calls the tips "the rent".

So yes, I think they do expect more. Whether by rights or practice is another question.

Jane referred to "bribe" tips. Very tacky. I tip retrospectivily for staff going the extra mile in making my trip enjoyable - just "doing the job" results in no real tip. I might take a different approach on land in America.

Matthew

And, in response to the Tayleur, I wasn't intending to "insult" all Americans. I have a feeling that there may well be many on this board who knew that anyway.

So don't mention it. We are all part of a big family and there is no place in this time and age to demean anyone, be it race, gender, religion. We are all equal even if you stay on the grills. I am new to this board and what a welcome.

Odd or not, these places exist.

Of course. As I said, it is about adapting to the country one is visiting. Which, as I said, works both ways.

Matthew

Matthew,

Can you give a few examples of places/settings where it is inappropriate to tip when you are paying for service? Are you referring to things such as someone else's club where you are a guest or private events? I am rather unable to think of a setting anywhere where if you are paying cash for drinks/meal/service lasting more than a few minutes that it would inappropriate to tip. But, I am honestly curious to learn about this more...

Michael

Tipping is always appropriate, I believe. Some countries build it into the charge for the product, some don't. But I find it absurd that any worker would be "insulted" by extra cash in his/her pocket. If you find the value you have received exceeds you expectations, then tip. If the service charge is already in the bill, then decide for yourself whether something extra is warranted. . .Michael

My point precisely. Thanks Michael.

So don't mention it. We are all part of a big family and there is no place in this time and age to demean anyone, be it race, gender, religion. We are all equal even if you stay on the grills. I am new to this board and what a welcome.

Tayleur, since you are new on these boards you will find that there are many instances where something is said that is not intended as an insult to anyone but is merely a statement of fact and reflects the international differences of those on these boards--tipping is very different here than in the UK and many other countries; and right or wrong, Americans do seem to be more outrageous in their tipping even when it differs from customs of the country they are visiting. Respect for international differences is rampart among most of us on the Cunard boards. And, as an American, I take absolutely no offense at what Matthew has said. It is simply a reflection of the differences. As he stated and as the article you cited states, one should know the customs of the countries they are visiting and then do their best to abide by those customs.

Bettie

Pointless post in a probably fruitless attempt to turn the page.

Oh, and while I'm here, I wouldn't tip a barman who got me a drink (sorry Myles:)), or the proprietor of a business, for example the owner of a hairdressers, or anyone who gave less than good service.

Mary

My humble thoughts on the sticky subject of tipping...

The automatic gratuity is absurd and does not reward one's immediate staff (waiter, steward, etc.) as the direct tip does.

During last year's world cruise, my gratuities were "included" as a full world cruise passenger. This feature notwithstanding I, as well as many other full world cruise passengers, tipped our stewards and waiters periodically throughout the cruise and at the end as well. When we arrived in Hong Kong during the cruise, for example, I gave my cabin steward, who is an older Filipino man, a special gratuity as his wife and daughters, whom he had not seen for more than 5 months, had flown in from Manila to be with him during our 2 day call there. He was very appreciative and insisted that I meet his entire family when we went ashore.

My practice on shorter cruises is to have the automatic gratuity removed as I feel it is not nearly enough and is tantamount to part of the crew's regular pay. Cynically, I would even suggest that it is Cunard's way of having passengers saddle the burden of better wages for the crew - but that is another entirely separate discussion. Once the automatic tip is removed, I then personally tip those who have served me well and in an amount commensurate to the quality of service - good, indifferent or poor - which I received.

Bobby

(although in the States, even this may get you in an uncomfortable place if the fault is not that of the server, such as the kitchen being slow, fast or otherwise out of whack).

Michael

That's an awkward one here too. One can have exemplary service and incredibly bad food, not the fault of the serving staff. Never have quite sorted out how to deal with that one.

Mary

On my recent tour of Queen Victoria l found myself by chance engaged on conversation with one of the spunky Bell boys, and gently raised the subject of tips, it turns out with the automatic policy such behind the scenes staff dont get anything.... I was in two minds if l should press something gently into his hands

Oh, and while I'm here, I wouldn't tip a barman who got me a drink (sorry Myles),

From the other side of the bar, l never fail to be amused at the tipping subject, and how,where and when people do tip or not as the case maybe (the REAL sir martin) But what l tend to do is if in a club or onboard generally tip the first bar man and they do look after you.

As for the matter of the room stewards, l will usually slip them something at the very start and let them know of my quirks. It took a while for me to admit my mistake at dinner as we discussed tips!!

Cheers

Myles

It did backfire slightly on the last cruise, noticed the name on the thingy in the cabin and then pounced on the stewart as l hurridly left the cabin rattled of that l was a past passenger, and what l liked etc, pressed something into his hands, he smiled & tried to reply but l said l would catch him later and off l trotted quite happily:D then when l returned to my cabin l found a female steward and she introduced herself as Adrianne as my stewardess:eek: l said that l had already met my steward and she replied yes so it would appear but he was for the other cabins, of course l said about the names and it turns out they guy l saw was Adrian who was in the next section and she showed me the cabin thingy and sure enough it said Adrianne. The realisation of what l did suddenly dawned upon me... When l saw him the next day we just laughed and he offered the tip back, which l was so embarrassed l said no, but he did me sort me out with a few things.

We have sailed 20+ times on other cruise lines and will be doing a crossing on QM2 in June, our first sailing with Cunard.

We are experienced with other lines that have the auto tip in place. With those lines, if you remove the auto tip and then tip the individual at the end of the cruise, regardless of the amount of the tip, they are required to put that money into the tip pool. If the auto tip has been left in place, anything additional given to the individual at the end of the cruise can be kept by that person. We have confirmed this with various staff on various cruises. Because of this, we always leave the auto tip in place and then directly tip additional to that person if service is above and beyond. That is usually the norm rather than exception, but not always. Good service is expected, great service is rewarded extra, but auto tip left in place, always. We consider it part of the basic cost of the cruise.

Your comments, please?

Thanks, Judy

I too keep the auto tip and tip individuals in addition as I see fit. However, the notion that the cruise line could possibly enforce a rule requiring individual staff to put tips from passengers who have declined to contribute to the auto tip into the tip pool, seems preposterous. My guess is that the staff who have told you (and me!) this story simply don't want to feel responsible for declining pool revenue. Perhaps there is some other reason for the story, but at any rate I don't believe the story! I will, however, continue my current practice of auto tip plus extras to deserving individuals.

I too keep the auto tip and tip individuals in addition as I see fit. However, the notion that the cruise line could possibly enforce a rule requiring individual staff to put tips from passengers who have declined to contribute to the auto tip into the tip pool, seems preposterous. My guess is that the staff who have told you (and me!) this story simply don't want to feel responsible for declining pool revenue. Perhaps there is some other reason for the story, but at any rate I don't believe the story! I will, however, continue my current practice of auto tip plus extras to deserving individuals.

The staff are most definitely not telling porkies about handing in tips when a passenger has removed the autotip. You cabin supervisor and maitr'd will certainly know when a passenger has removed the autotip and that means they know which stewards are involved. If those stewards don't hand anything in at the end of the cruise they had better come up with a good explanation. Sure it requires a bit of honesty, but if they don't then they are stealing from their shipmates. And make no bones about it, it is stealing.

When a passenger tells front desk they are tipping directly and removing the autotip they know exactly who should be handing in the extra loot.

Stephen

We have sailed 20+ times on other cruise lines and will be doing a crossing on QM2 in June, our first sailing with Cunard.

We are experienced with other lines that have the auto tip in place. With those lines, if you remove the auto tip and then tip the individual at the end of the cruise, regardless of the amount of the tip, they are required to put that money into the tip pool. If the auto tip has been left in place, anything additional given to the individual at the end of the cruise can be kept by that person. We have confirmed this with various staff on various cruises. Because of this, we always leave the auto tip in place and then directly tip additional to that person if service is above and beyond. That is usually the norm rather than exception, but not always. Good service is expected, great service is rewarded extra, but auto tip left in place, always. We consider it part of the basic cost of the cruise.

Your comments, please?

Thanks, Judy

Judy, you should do as you have done on other lines. Those who perform above and beyond the expected service do deserve additional tips. As for those people who remove the autotips, I have long ago stopped trying to understand their rationale. In my opinion, autotips are less expensive than it was to do all of the individual tipping as in days gone by.

Bettie

Judy, you should do as you have done on other lines. Those who perform above and beyond the expected service do deserve additional tips. As for those people who remove the autotips, I have long ago stopped trying to understand their rationale. In my opinion, autotips are less expensive than it was to do all of the individual tipping as in days gone by.

Bettie

I agree with Bettie.

I removed my auto tips last time and as well as it costing half as much again it's alot more hassle and the ones you tip have to give it up anyway.

I won't be doing it again.

Glenn.

Archived