Courtney Taylor?

rickb609

Have used Courtney Taylor in 2013. We only had 3 in our group and didn't want to have to be combined with others, so we paid an additional $120 to make it a full group ($40 per person, believe) and we had the van and tour guide to ourselves. Just an idea - it is more $$, but we also didn't have to wait for anyone, anywhere. :)

Does anyone have any tips for finding Courtney Taylor at the Port of Ochos Rios? In his instructions, he says to give his name to a "dispatcher" and they will let us know where to find him. I am a little nervous that we will get bamboozled into going with someone then Courtney.

Does anyone know where to find the dispatchers? Or any other tips to find him?

If we have any doubts we will be sure to ask a driver for proof they are from Courttney Taylor's.

Thanks!

Just to let people know we recently returned from a tour with Courtney Taylor and although the tour itself was fine they have a policy of waiting up to 90 minutes for people to meet the tour after the ship docks.This meant we were sitting in a taxi from 8 to 9.30 waiting for others who did not show up anyway.Rather spoilt the trip as we lost an hour and a half of our excursion time due to their policy. If we can get off the ship as soon as possible so should others, and the tour company should not have a policy of waiting so long

You are kind of stuck waiting since you have already paid the deposit with Courtney Taylor. Did you have to pay the remaining balance before or after the excursion? Not sure what their policy is.

Just to let people know we recently returned from a tour with Courtney Taylor and although the tour itself was fine they have a policy of waiting up to 90 minutes for people to meet the tour after the ship docks.This meant we were sitting in a taxi from 8 to 9.30 waiting for others who did not show up anyway.Rather spoilt the trip as we lost an hour and a half of our excursion time due to their policy. If we can get off the ship as soon as possible so should others, and the tour company should not have a policy of waiting so long

Will be on a group tour with Courtney Taylor a couple of weeks for a group tour since there is just of 2 of us. Since your overall time was cut short waiting for the others, do recall how much time you spent at Blue Hole and the beach? Also, did the tour get you back to the ship 1 1/2 hours prior to sailing? Planned to do some souvenir shopping after the tour.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have any tips for finding Courtney Taylor at the Port of Ochos Rios? In his instructions, he says to give his name to a "dispatcher" and they will let us know where to find him. I am a little nervous that we will get bamboozled into going with someone then Courtney.

Does anyone know where to find the dispatchers? Or any other tips to find him?

If we have any doubts we will be sure to ask a driver for proof they are from Courttney Taylor's.

Thanks!

Hello Sue

I just returned from Ocho rios and a fabulous tour with Courtney. I too worried about the meeting instructions - all for naught!! Here is what happens:

Our ship docked at 7 but it took some time to clear the ship. We planned an 8 am departure and that was perfect. You walk down the pier and there is the dispatcher sitting under an umbrella. I gave her Courtney's name and she sent us in a tour line not the self disembark line. As we approached the terminal there was another security area where I gave Courtney's name again. Instead of going into the terminal they directed us outside the gate and there was Courtney. He was gathering up another 5 pax. When I mentioned I booked a private tour he said not tp worry that he was taking us out of the port to a meeting location. It was a matter of min before we arrived at a parking lot and he directed everyone to their appropriate tour van. Since I booked a private tour to the Blue Hole, we got Courtney himself.

We had a great morning with him. He is a class act giving a great tour for $39 each plus entrance fees. (Blue hole was $10). I would book with him again in a heartbeat. He has tours in every Jamaica port/city.

The Blue Hole was simply the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I am so happy I put my fears behind me and literally took the leap. My DH and I are in our seventies. We walked slowly and deliberately and in some areas relied upon our marvelous guide, Robert.

I will be happy to answer any specific questions.

BTW: water shoes are a MUST for this tour!!

Kathleen

Does anyone know if the deposits are refundable if your ship does not make it to port? Since my deposit was $31, I would prefer not to be at a loss for something out of my control.

Sue

The deposits are fully refundable if the ship misses the port. Since this is a docking port and not a tender port, I would think only a bad storm with high winds would prevent you from going on the tour.

Good luck. The Blue Hole was truly worth the trip!!

Scobie, so sorry you had an unhappy experience. When I originally booked my tour to the Blue Hole, Samantha came back and said I would be sharing the van and cost was $29pp. From previous experience on other tours, I knew this could be an issue. I do like my freedom and ability to cut a stop out, or lengthen a stay in a place I am enjoying. So I paid the extra $10 for my private tour. Well worth the money.

Perhaps the tour company should indicate that when booking a group tour you must disembark by a specific time. In fairness to Courtney Taylor, they do publish their policy. Also, when we book ship's excursions, I have waited in a bus for the inconsiderate pax who thinks his/her agenda is more important than the group itinerary.

Hopefully your memories of a beautiful country and hospitable people will offset the wait.

Kathleen

Hello Sue

I just returned from Ocho rios and a fabulous tour with Courtney. I too worried about the meeting instructions - all for naught!! Here is what happens:

Our ship docked at 7 but it took some time to clear the ship. We planned an 8 am departure and that was perfect. You walk down the pier and there is the dispatcher sitting under an umbrella. I gave her Courtney's name and she sent us in a tour line not the self disembark line. As we approached the terminal there was another security area where I gave Courtney's name again. Instead of going into the terminal they directed us outside the gate and there was Courtney. He was gathering up another 5 pax. When I mentioned I booked a private tour he said not tp worry that he was taking us out of the port to a meeting location. It was a matter of min before we arrived at a parking lot and he directed everyone to their appropriate tour van. Since I booked a private tour to the Blue Hole, we got Courtney himself.

We had a great morning with him. He is a class act giving a great tour for $39 each plus entrance fees. (Blue hole was $10). I would book with him again in a heartbeat. He has tours in every Jamaica port/city.

The Blue Hole was simply the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I am so happy I put my fears behind me and literally took the leap. My DH and I are in our seventies. We walked slowly and deliberately and in some areas relied upon our marvelous guide, Robert.

Kathleen

Where else did you stop?

How long was your tour?

Was Blue Hole the only place there was an entrance fee?

Thank you for sharing your info/experiences!

Where else did you stop?

How long was your tour?

Was Blue Hole the only place there was an entrance fee?

Thank you for sharing your info/experiences!

This was a short cruise - just 5 days with 2 ports: Princess Cays and Ocho.

My tour was as long as I wanted it to be!! We ended up cutting it short, returning to the ship for lunch. That is only because we were tired!! But Courtney took us to the rainforest, then an overlook of the harbor. Got some beautiful photos of the ship. We had planned to have lunch at Scotchies since it was highly recommended on these boards and Trip advisor.

It seemed to me, most attractions had entrance fees. We planned on tubing, and if memory serves me, that was $30pp. Here is a link to Courtney's website with some of the entrance fees:

http://www.courtneytaylortours.com/tours.html

Hope this helps.

Kathleen

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Sue

Kathleen

Kathleen,

Thanks so much, so helpful! Can't think of any questions at this time but will be sure to ask you if I think of any. Thank you so much!

I arrived in Ocho Rios by cruise ship on Nov. 6. I did Dunns River Falls on a prior trip to Jamaica and was looking for something new for this cruise. After careful research I chose Courtney Taylor and an excursion to The Blue Hole. From my very first email, they were responsive and so easy to work with. Because of our ages, 75 and 69, I thought a private tour that fit our pace was the best way to go. And I am so happy I did. I customized the tour ahead of time and then added and dropped, on the fly, the day of the tour!! Not many companies would do that for you.

When the ship docked, everything was exactly as indicated on our reservation - a dispatcher was at the dock directing us to the correct exit line to meet our tour. As we left the customs house, there was Courtney himself picking up 6 passengers for various tours. He took us to a parking lot with his tour vans and helped get everyone on our way. We had Courtney himself. He talked a lot about Jamaica and Ocho Rios as we drove to the Blue Hole. After about a 20 minute drive we arrived at our destination. As we got closer to our destination, the road was dirt with many potholes. So it did take longer than anticipated. Courtney introduced us to Robert, our guide for the morning. Robert was great and so patient with 2 slow seniors!! As a matter of fact, all the guides were friendly and helpful.

The Blue Hole is an amazing place. I felt like I was in the Garden of Eden. There were some steps going down that were easy and there was a hand rail. But as we got closer to the water the walk was trickier. But I felt safe with Robert. He helped me ford the stream just before the major waterfall. Then we walked up close so that I could sit under the pounding water. It was heavenly. After the waterfall I had my first jump and a swim to a ledge. When I booked this tour I had no intention of jumping into any water. But once there, it just calls to you!! I know we were there longer than any other tour. That was partly because of being slow, but also because it was so relaxing and I wanted to enjoy the beauty. Robert had my camera and he was taking pictures for me. He got some good photos.

As we left the Blue Hole, I felt like I left a good friend behind. When you go, look for Robert!!

Courtney took us through the rain forest and then to the top of a mountain for a beautiful view of the harbor and our ship.

I can unequivocally recommend Courtney Taylor. I would use him again. I have traveled the world and taken many private tours. His is one of the better ones.

There is a lot of talk about safety in Jamaica. I felt totally safe with Courtney Taylor. We left money, passports, phones and ipad and we had no problems. Thank you, Courtney Taylor, for a great day in your beautiful country!!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
I arrived in Ocho Rios by cruise ship on Nov. 6. I did Dunns River Falls on a prior trip to Jamaica and was looking for something new for this cruise. After careful research I chose Courtney Taylor and an excursion to The Blue Hole. From my very first email, they were responsive and so easy to work with. Because of our ages, 75 and 69, I thought a private tour that fit our pace was the best way to go. And I am so happy I did. I customized the tour ahead of time and then added and dropped, on the fly, the day of the tour!! Not many companies would do that for you.

When the ship docked, everything was exactly as indicated on our reservation - a dispatcher was at the dock directing us to the correct exit line to meet our tour. As we left the customs house, there was Courtney himself picking up 6 passengers for various tours. He took us to a parking lot with his tour vans and helped get everyone on our way. We had Courtney himself. He talked a lot about Jamaica and Ocho Rios as we drove to the Blue Hole. After about a 20 minute drive we arrived at our destination. As we got closer to our destination, the road was dirt with many potholes. So it did take longer than anticipated. Courtney introduced us to Robert, our guide for the morning. Robert was great and so patient with 2 slow seniors!! As a matter of fact, all the guides were friendly and helpful.

The Blue Hole is an amazing place. I felt like I was in the Garden of Eden. There were some steps going down that were easy and there was a hand rail. But as we got closer to the water the walk was trickier. But I felt safe with Robert. He helped me ford the stream just before the major waterfall. Then we walked up close so that I could sit under the pounding water. It was heavenly. After the waterfall I had my first jump and a swim to a ledge. When I booked this tour I had no intention of jumping into any water. But once there, it just calls to you!! I know we were there longer than any other tour. That was partly because of being slow, but also because it was so relaxing and I wanted to enjoy the beauty. Robert had my camera and he was taking pictures for me. He got some good photos.

As we left the Blue Hole, I felt like I left a good friend behind. When you go, look for Robert!!

Courtney took us through the rain forest and then to the top of a mountain for a beautiful view of the harbor and our ship.

I can unequivocally recommend Courtney Taylor. I would use him again. I have traveled the world and taken many private tours. His is one of the better ones.

There is a lot of talk about safety in Jamaica. I felt totally safe with Courtney Taylor. We left money, passports, phones and ipad and we had no problems. Thank you, Courtney Taylor, for a great day in your beautiful country!!

Great review registry051, can't wait to go back to Jamaica :D had such a great time

I just booked a tour with Courtney, even though our cruise is still a year out. $420 for a private tour for 3 adults and 3 kids. Includes River Tubing, Blue Hole, and the Beach plus a stop for lunch (extra, of course). 6.5 hours total. We are really looking forward to it. Any recommendations (how long to stay where, etc.?) Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Sue

Kathleen

Hi Robert,

We just returned from a tour with Courtney Taylor's service. We had a super guide whom we really enjoyed. I was just wondering about the charges. You mentioned that you paid 10 pp for the Blue Hole. We were charged 15 pp! Also, we were charged 20 pp for the Dunn's River Falls. We had a private tour and paid 45 pp.

• 3 weeks later...
Scobie, so sorry you had an unhappy experience. When I originally booked my tour to the Blue Hole, Samantha came back and said I would be sharing the van and cost was $29pp. From previous experience on other tours, I knew this could be an issue. I do like my freedom and ability to cut a stop out, or lengthen a stay in a place I am enjoying. So I paid the extra $10 for my private tour. Well worth the money.

Perhaps the tour company should indicate that when booking a group tour you must disembark by a specific time. In fairness to Courtney Taylor, they do publish their policy. Also, when we book ship's excursions, I have waited in a bus for the inconsiderate pax who thinks his/her agenda is more important than the group itinerary.

Hopefully your memories of a beautiful country and hospitable people will offset the wait.

Kathleen

Was this $29pp what I see here ???

http://courtneytay.wix.com/cttjamaica#!transport/cfvg

Kathleen

Also, who did you contact? I've been unsuccessful with getting them on the phone.

We wanted to make the most of our stop in Ocho Rios on the Carnival Glory. I read lots of reviews on tours and Courtney Taylors reviews were all so good, we decided to book with him. Very glad we did! I like to book tours where we have a little more say in where we go and what we do, and appreciate that personal touch. Sent emails to Courtney's web site and got fast response answering all my questions. Set up just the tour we wanted at a good price! When Courtney picked us up at the port, he greeted us big smiles and welcomed us to Jamaica! We went to Dunns Falls, and it was such a great touch having a place to leave our belongings where we knew they were safe and knowing when we were done we could head for our next stop without wasting any time waiting on driver and others to be ready! Next we headed for The Blue Hole. Had a wonderful time there as well, and worked up an appetite so off to Scotchies for lunch. They did not disappoint! Great food, great prices, and a cool spot to stop. After lunch with the rains coming, we headed for some shopping. We spotted a Harley store and Courtney made his way back for us, then on to some local shop for some Rum! We were back in good time for the ship and had a most wonderful day. Courtney was entertaining and gave us insight into his island home. This was a fantastic day in Ocho Rios, we did all we wanted to do and it was a fun day thanks to Courtney Taylor tours, now book your tour before he is all booked up.:D

How much was this tour, sounds like just what we want to do? Thanks! :D

• 2 weeks later...

i was getting worried . i have not heard much good stuff about the island . then i found this i have faith again. it will be my family of 4 and my parents with possible others not sure how many at this point so i am really liking this i just want a tour and a beach that has been a good thing for my family . :)

i was getting worried . i have not heard much good stuff about the island . then i found this i have faith again. it will be my family of 4 and my parents with possible others not sure how many at this point so i am really liking this i just want a tour and a beach that has been a good thing for my family . :)

I would highly recommend contacting courtney taylor, then. For 4 people the right would only be $29 per person if you wanted to private tour. In my opinion having the comfort of knowing someone is trustworthy and being able to take care of yourself while you're at the beach or sightseeing around the island is worth every penny. I could not recommend courtney taylor more. And while I did hear a lot of bad things about Jamaica from these forums and other places online, nothing compares to the experience of actually being on the island. In my opinion it's one of the prettiest for that I've ever been to in the mountainous regions are so different from what you see and other Caribbean islands.

• 4 weeks later...

Doing a blue hole tour with Courtney Taylor next week and was hoping any of you can answer the following:

1) What is an appropriate tip for the driver?

2) Is blue hole appropriate for younger children (8 and 11 yrs old)?

3) Does Scotchies offer any non-spicy items for the young ones?

4) Would you go to Bamboo Blu or another beach?

Thanks for the help.

Doing a blue hole tour with Courtney Taylor next week and was hoping any of you can answer the following:

1) What is an appropriate tip for the driver?

2) Is blue hole appropriate for younger children (8 and 11 yrs old)?

3) Does Scotchies offer any non-spicy items for the young ones?

4) Would you go to Bamboo Blu or another beach?

Thanks for the help.

We have used Courtney Taylor tours twice, so I can help with some of your questions.

# 3 - yes, the food is all NON spicy - they have spicy stuff you can put on or dip into if you choose. Let your driver know this - he will probably ask you if you want spicy or not. NOTE - bring cash for Scotchies and we typically also pay for the guide's lunch. Be sure to order some Festival - it's kind of like a cake donut.

#4 - Bamboo Blu beach is amazing but it's not going to have much for your kids to do - it's a beautiful, quiet beach. There aren't any bouncy toys, hair braiding, or crowds. We like it for those reasons, but just depends on what you want.

Edited by tgnorton