In-room beverage - Newbie has ?s

ltsally

i've just come from HAL's gift page, thinking I might order a bottle of Scotch for our March Cortez sailing. Was very surprised at the paucity of choice - lots of Vodka's; no gin and only one Scotch listed - Cutty Sark, which we don't really care for. Will it be the same on board, or will we be able to specify a different brand (say, Johnnie Walker or JB) once we're 'in residence.'

And though I'm not interested in same, I was also blown away by their charge for a 6pak of Bud --- $21!!! Is this reflective of HAL's beverage pricing in the lounges?

Final question - Saw a specialty cocktail card (10 drinks/$61 approx). Is this a good value and what qualifies as a 'specialty cocktail'? If I prefer just an ordinary gin martini, does getting the specialty cocktail card make any sense?

Thanks for the help!

i've just come from HAL's gift page, thinking I might order a bottle of Scotch for our March Cortez sailing. Was very surprised at the paucity of choice - lots of Vodka's; no gin and only one Scotch listed - Cutty Sark, which we don't really care for. Will it be the same on board, or will we be able to specify a different brand (say, Johnnie Walker or JB) once we're 'in residence.'

And though I'm not interested in same, I was also blown away by their charge for a 6pak of Bud --- $21!!! Is this reflective of HAL's beverage pricing in the lounges?

Final question - Saw a specialty cocktail card (10 drinks/$61 approx). Is this a good value and what qualifies as a 'specialty cocktail'? If I prefer just an ordinary gin martini, does getting the specialty cocktail card make any sense?

Thanks for the help!

wow, when we cruised HAL a little over a year ago they did have JW. I got a bottle for DH. As for buying a bottle for your cabin after you board, if that is what you are asking, I really don't know.

Price for drinks on HAL were as low as any we have been in the past few years but if you are a wine drinker I would suggest you bring your own on board and pay the $15 corkage fee as wine is very pricey, even by the glass. Sounds like the specialty card is for fru fru drinks and they may be more fru fru than alcohol.

Nita

As recently as 1/5/08 HAL offered these choices of Scotch:

Cutty Sark $32.20

Ballantine's 40.25

J&B Rare 36.80

J. Walker Red 36.80

J. Walker Black 77.05

Chivas Regal 12 yo 66.20

I also noticed that recently not only have most of those disappeared from the on-line "gift" choices, but also most of the other varieties of liquors as well. There used to be many more choices of gin, bourbon, whisky, tequila, etc than there are now ... and only a good choice of Vodka remain.

I suggest you call Ship Services at 800-541-1576. At least the prices above will give you a ballpark idea of what they might cost now, if available.

I believe the on-board beer prices are the same as what you see on-line, but I understand they have a "bucket of beer" option where you get something like 10 bottles of beer for the price of 9.

We've never bought the signature cocktail cards, but the consensus of what I've read here is that they are not a good deal if you don't get the "concoction of the day" type drinks regularly.

We always call Ship Services to order alcohol for the cabin -- that way we can specify the brand we want.

We asked a bar tender once about those cocktail cards -- was told that you are very limited what you can order. For example it covers drinks up to a certain price - $5.95 I think. So if you order a Grey Goose on the rocks, they will punch your card and then charge you for the difference in price between the price of Grey Goose which is expensive and the $5.95.

Archived