Why won't Seabourn play "nice"?

simonmary

Well, now that we have sort of settled back in from our Christmas trip, the next one we want to take is to Alaska. Look on the Seabourn site. Go ahead and look. Tell me which ship and dates are available for me to go to Alaska and get spoilt by Seabourn. Yeah, that's what I though, too. :mad:

So, now the question arrives -- which cruise line should we look at for an acceptable substitute for Seabourn? I'm betting there won't be an acceptable substitute, but which one will get us "close enough for government work"?

This is not a substitute but it is close. Look at Regent lines. We were on during the Holidays and it was enjoyable. The suites are very nice with great balconies, only 700 guests, good assortment of restaurants, open sitting and all inclusive. We have enjoyed all of our trips on them but our heart belongs to.....Seabourn.

We are new to Seabourn (taking our first cruise with them Feb. 14 on Spirit). However, we have cruised Regent a number of times, and, last August, took Regent Mariner in Alaska. It was wonderful.

Here is the thread of my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=615619&highlight=mariner+alaska+8%2F15

Whichever line you choose, I highly recommend that you take a smaller ship, not one of the larger ones. The access to the different fjords and bays in Alaska, and the actual experience on land, is, in my opinion, much better on the smaller ships.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Check out CruiseWest. All casual, only pay for alcohol, and small ships with many experts. I loved it! I didn't need another Seabourn-like experience nor a big ship that can't stop to watch Orcas and Humpbacks for an hour or so.

I think you have a couple of options.

As James said, Silversea is returning to Alaska. That is the most similar product.

Regent also has a very nice cruise to Alaska on the Mariner. It is very nice, but larger, ship. The food and service is not of the same caliber, but you do have a number of dining options. Keep in mind that during the summer Mariner does have a number of children onboard. (My kids had a great time.), so if you are looking for an adults only experience despite the relatively low number of children, you will not have it on Regent.

For a truly 'up close and personal' Alaska experience, Cruise West is probably your choice. Very casual, as opposed to Seabourn, of course and assuming you're able-bodied enough for some of their zodiac excursions.

Otherwise, for a journey on a very close par to Seabourn, you should consider Silversea (which we did for Alaska in '06). Fewer than 400 pax, with the same all-inclusive pricing; excellent, warm service; good food; actual verandahs with teak deck chairs; and to-die-for bathrooms. (After our chilling glacier day, much of it spent outside, we went back to the cabin and I, not normally much of a 'tubbie' person, luxuriated in a hot soak in the extra long, extra deep tub - with a step over to the shower for a cooling, sauna-like rinse. mmmm!:p )

To Itsally: I always love reading your posts, very to the point.

I decided to have a look at your "profile" - it does explain why I like reading your posts - but......... it needs upgrading; by now you did make some cruises, or...?

And I agree again, those bathrooms on Silversea........! But we will soon have them on the Odyssey, won't we! Though I wouldn't mind another Silversea cruise for a change.

Marja

I vote for Regent Mariner especially if Terry Breen is aboard. She is a marvelous "story-teller" (her name for her job) and will make your trip to Alaska come alive with historical knowledge, etc. The new Coffee Bar looks terrific, too.

I vote for Regent Mariner especially if Terry Breen is aboard. She is a marvelous "story-teller" (her name for her job) and will make your trip to Alaska come alive with historical knowledge, etc. The new Coffee Bar looks terrific, too.

Terry Breen is fantastic and, most certainly, a strong factor to be considered when making a choice. I do not know if it is possible to assure her presence too far out, though.

Archived