Need airport, hotel and transportation advice in Galveston

MellieInWI

We are going to be flying into Galveston/Houston next month to travel on the VOS. For anyone who has also done this, could you please help me determine the following:

a) Best airport to fly into (I believe Houston has two)

b) Do we stay at a hotel close to port or to the airport?

c) Hotel recommendation

d) Transportation options from hotel to port

Thanks for any help!

When we cruise from Galveston we do the following:

Fly Southwest into Houston Hobby (closest airport to Galveston)

We fly at least one, often two days early.

We rent a car from Alamo for the entire pre-cruise and the actual week of the cruise. We park the car at one of the cruise parking lots for the week we are gone.

We stay at the Baymont Inn & Suites.

Other alternative transportation Galveston Limo, taxi, or two one-way rentals from Hertz. When renting cars for one-ways, you have to be extra careful concerning drop-off charges, how to get to the port from the rental car office, and how to pick up your car on the return from your cruise. There is a lot of info on the Gulf coast departure board.

Hypo

Howdy MellieInWI! 50.gif

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Gulf Coast Departures Forum! 04.gif

Another host has moved your thread here where it will be on topic. Please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature with your key word or words to narrow down the threads you will want to read during your research. That way, you can see if your inquiry topic has already been asked and answered before. And it probably has... many, many times! 05.gif

If you do not find the information you need, please feel free to post your new thread inquiry and we all will be happy to try to help. 082502btw_prv.gif, the Search this Forum feature is on all other Cruise Critic forums too.

I hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! Wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gifwith your research!!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

We are going to be flying into Galveston/Houston next month to travel on the VOS. For anyone who has also done this, could you please help me determine the following:

a) Best airport to fly into (I believe Houston has two)

b) Do we stay at a hotel close to port or to the airport?

c) Hotel recommendation

d) Transportation options from hotel to port

Thanks for any help!

We flew into IAH (Bush in Houston) because we wanted to fly American Airlines. Another couple with us flew into Hobby because it was closer to Galveston and transfers would be less. I believe Hobby is about 30 miles out of Galveston. It was 1 1/2 hr. from Houston Bush to Galveston.

We stayed at Baymont Inn & Suites in Galveston. Hotel was fine with waffles (yes, they really are in the shape of the state of Texas). Our view from balcony overlooked a very old cemetery which was not well kept. If something like that bothers you, ask for the other side of hotel. It just wasn't a big deal to us as we were there for one night and didn't really use the balcony anyway. Cost was $106.66 for room with 2 beds. Be aware that the hotel is completely non-smoking. Rates may be less now as we were there during Mardi Gras. I certainly would rather be near the port (about 3 miles) than have to travel the 1 1/2 hr. drive on the date of sailing.

We used Gulf Coast Limo for transfer from Bush to Baymont and then from ship back to Bush. The desk at Baymont will call you a taxi to get to the port. Ask the night before what time you need to call for the taxi as they told us by 9:30am for an 11:00am pick up. When I went to the desk and they called (9:30am or so), we were only able to get the pick up for 10:30am. Taxies were busy I guess getting folks to port.....??

We arrived at port about 10:45am and were able to get into the terminal. We were told VOS had NOT docked due to fog. Finally started boarding around 4:30pm. That's a another story......but you just have to adjust.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about VOS. This was our 13th cruise.

Archived