The airlines made me do it!

dakrewser

As avid readers of the GmaPajama "Who's Cruisin'" list will know, we're booked at the May 18th Volendam northbound from Vancouver to Seward followed by a quick jaunt up to the Arctic ocean and back to Anchorage on the 31st.

Yesterday I was looking to book flights for us, an "open jaw" from San Francisco to Vancouver return from Anchorage. And, frankly, I was aghast at the prices. Roughly $1000 each for reasonable flights. R/T Vancouver was only about $400.

So what's an avid cruiser to do?

Right, for only $200 more than the open jaw flight, we'll fly to Vancouver, take the trek north, then return to Vancouver aboard the (never yet been traveled by us) Zaandam, leaving Seward on June 1!

True, it'd not the S suite we'll have on the Volendam - only "outsides" were left. But it'll be interesting to travel in our first HAL "ocean view" in a long time (our last was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam, also - coincidently - on the Vancouver-Seward run) and see what it's like these days. Still, the decision was a no-brainer - for an extra $200 we can spend a week cruising on HAL instead of 5 hours in a sardine can.

Woo hoo!

As avid readers of the GmaPajama "Who's Cruisin'" list will know, we're booked at the May 18th Volendam northbound from Vancouver to Seward followed by a quick jaunt up to the Arctic ocean and back to Anchorage on the 31st.

Yesterday I was looking to book flights for us, an "open jaw" from San Francisco to Vancouver return from Anchorage. And, frankly, I was aghast at the prices. Roughly $1000 each for reasonable flights. R/T Vancouver was only about $400.

Right, for only $200 more than the open jaw flight, we'll fly to Vancouver, take the trek north, then return to Vancouver aboard the (never yet been traveled by us) Zaandam, leaving Seward on June 1!

True, it'd not the S suite we'll have on the Volendam - only "outsides" were left. But it'll be interesting to travel in our first HAL "ocean view" in a long time (our last was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam, also - coincidently - on the Vancouver-Seward run) and see what it's like these days. Still, the decision was a no-brainer - for an extra $200 we can spend a week cruising on HAL instead of 5 hours in a sardine can.

Woo hoo!

For our trip to Alaska all that was left were Ocean Views. We did take a port stateroom and were facing the docks at every port from Seward to Vancouver. At least with HAL (not so on other lines) you will still have the Elemis products and Fresh Fruit. Seward was probably my favorite Alaska port.

We are doing the same thing - when I checked air fares from Anchorage

to Vancouver found that they flew over my city and went to Seattle, then

would have to wait hours and fly back to Van. on their wonderful

ancient Bombardier plane. The fares would have been a thousand for

both of us.

So, it is back to back and for much less we have another week on board and sail right into Van. - no planes, airports or hassle. Yahoo!!!

We are doing the same thing - when I checked air fares from Anchorage

to Vancouver found that they flew over my city and went to Seattle, then

would have to wait hours and fly back to Van. on their wonderful

ancient Bombardier plane. The fares would have been a thousand for

both of us.

So, it is back to back and for much less we have another week on board and sail right into Van. - no planes, airports or hassle. Yahoo!!!

That sounds even better! Too bad no one runs one-way cruises to/from San Francisco....:(

It seems many of us find your line of reasoning to be perfectly logical. I guess we are all afflicted.

Reference one way trips San Francisco/Vancouver, those two Cape class coastal packet ships built for the Delta Queen company just before 9-ll would be perfect for that run. They have been sitting in government storage since DQ went "belly-up".

At one time it was rumored that Hornblower Yachts was going to buy them from the Feds, but nothing came of that.

It seems many of us find your line of reasoning to be perfectly logical. I guess we are all afflicted.

Reference one way trips San Francisco/Vancouver, those two Cape class coastal packet ships built for the Delta Queen company just before 9-ll would be perfect for that run. They have been sitting in government storage since DQ went "belly-up".

At one time it was rumored that Hornblower Yachts was going to buy them from the Feds, but nothing came of that.

Show me were to sign up and I'll be on them in a flash!

We've actually thought about doing one of the Cruise West "wine country" tours out of San Francisco just to keep our feet "wet"...

:)

Well as so many have stated before this is a "no brainer". Gee, would I really want to spend a ton of money just to be cooped up in a sardine can for a few hours or would I prefer to "suffer" for a few days aboard a HAL cruise ship?

The Zaandam is actually a really nice ship. I think that you will enjoy your cruise. I spent ten days enjoying her amenities a couple of years ago and I was in my usual outside cabin - no balcony but at least I had a window, which is a must for me. Having had an "outside" cabin on the old Nieuw Amsterdam myself I can assure you the Zaandam's "outsides" are a whole lot nicer.

Have a wonderful cruise, especially knowing that you saved yourselves a ton of money and that you actually get to have fun instead of suffering through the migraine from Heck that flying has become nowadays.

Fair winds and following seas.

Valerie:)

You'll have a great trip. We find that when we are in an outside cabin we spend more time out and about on the ship and less time in the cabin than when we have had a balcony. There are wonderful places to hang out on the ship. What a great plan.

Woo hoo!

Dave,

That's the way we do it. Why pay for the "open jaws" flight when can take a return cruise for about the same price.

Our last trip -- we did 7 days northbound; spent a week in Alaska; and took 7 days southbound. Next time, we hope to match Holland America with Celebrity and have the best of both worlds.

Well done!

Kel:)

Have a wonderful cruise, especially knowing that you saved yourselves a ton of money

Well, no, it isn't actually a savings - in money. But it sure does help the psyche! :)

Kelmac: So why have you kept this a secret??? Taking a ship is the only way to fly....;)

Dave

Zaandam is a nice ship except for that DAMN saxaphone:D

The tour 21 ends on the 31st not the 1st. You will need a hotel for over night.

Unfortunately air from PHL is more than HAL is charging or I would have joined you. :o

Can't wait to go to the north.

Yep, our T/A already added it as a "post-cruise" stay after the cruisetour (so we get to stay in the same hotel as on the 30th!). An extra day in Anchorage sounds wonderful, actually!

:)ave

Just 3 months to go (OK, three months and a few days....;))

---Quote (Originally by JayS)---

---End Quote---

Yep, our T/A already added it as a "post-cruise" stay after the cruisetour (so we get to stay in the same hotel as on the 30th!). An extra day in Anchorage sounds wonderful, actually!

:)ave

For some reason your answer is not showing up on the boards. This is from an email sent by the board.

See you onboard:)

Archived