Air New Zealand seating not confirmed

This is common to international airlines: they can and do move your seating without notifying you. I had purchased and selected my Premium Economy seating nine months ago and when I checked my reservations, discovered that my seat selections were changed. I called some friends on the same flight (LAX to AUK to SYD) and they discovered that their seats were moved also.

ANZ's answer: "When the LAX departure flight schedule was changed by fifteen minutes, the seating charts were lost and seating asssignments were reassigned by the computer".

I asked for them to give my seats back to me, but was told that they could not: seating is not confirmed. What's the use of selecting seats when airlines can and do change them at their own convenience? This makes seatguru.com research a waste of time for us "Premium Economy and Economy Passengers".

This opens up the question: Do frequent flyers bump other passengers out of their unconfirmed seats? Is this a fair practice or is the "first come, first served" rule appropriate?

So now I have to watch my seats on a daily basis, hoping that my persistance and constant complaining will pay off and my original seat choices be returned to me. This is not a fun way to start a trip.

Guess I should just "bite the bullet", sit in my re-assigned seat, and glare at the passenger who took or was given my seat.

Anyone out there have any input or have any suggestions?

Call of the Wild, I do sympathise with you. It is a very frustrating situation. Although I've not had this experience happen do me, I was concerned that this could happen on my recent trip to New Zealand. I was in business class in row 1 on NZ5 in November, and was aware that my seat could be reassigned. I had read on flyertalk that this can occasionally happen in order to seat spouses together, or keep families together, or for celebrities. Plus, when I made my seat selection, they stated it was only a request. Like you, my seat selection was important to me, but understood that my seat, even in business, could be taken away. Fortunately, it was not, but it was a great concern none the less.

Come to think of it, something like this, though not as bad, did happen. On my return, I had row 1 also reserved on a 747, but Air New Zealand later changed aircraft to a 777. My seat was reissued. I called early enough to reselect what I felt was better seats, but still I was dissapointed because there were better seats on the 747 vs. 777. I was in business class, so I can't complain much, but again, I do understand your plight.

You are aware of seatguru, and seatexpert, so you're know of what might be better seats. I would keep calling Air New Zealand, maybe twice a day, and ask if there's any availabiliy in a seat that you might otherwise prefer. Be sure to call the day of travel too. If no luck prior to your trip, then get to the airport early, and see if they can help you there. I know you're aggrivated, and I would be too, but don't give up just yet. A preferred seat could open up, or seats that might currently be blocked, if any, may open up once at the airport. Just keep trying, and don't give up just yet. At the least, you're in Premium Economy, and Air New Zealand really is a great airline, although you may not think so now.

If you get to the airport early, and they still can't help you, ask if they can at least give you a pass to their lounge. I don't know if they can get you access, but it's worth asking trying.

I am curious, which seat did you loose? We're you in the upper deck? Lucky you it's a 747, as I've read seats are better in the 747 vs the 777.

Also, I don't think anything can be done now, but I see that there's another flight, NZ5, also a 747 on certain dates, that leaves at 9:30. Maybe when you go to check in at LAX, that you're seat is available on this flight, and maybe you can ask to change flights. I don't know if it's possible, but again, worth asking if they have available the seat you want. However, even if it is possible, I do realize you'll arrive later in Auckland, but so early in the morning, 5:45 am vs. 7:15 am, it may not make much difference.

Good luck,

I asked for them to give my seats back to me, but was told that they could not: seating is not confirmed.

Me again, when you state "seating is not confirmed" are you stating that they told you seats are not available, as in, someone else has these seats? Or do you mean that they've allowed you to request your desired seats, but you don't know you'll actually get them till you get your boarding pass? Becasue if it's the latter, you may still have a chance, becasue all seat request are "request" and not "confirmed" with Air New Zealand, even in business. Just hoping you still have a chance.

What's the use of selecting seats when airlines can and do change them at their own convenience?
No airline guarantees your seat pre-allocation. All sorts of things can and do happen between reservation and departure. And this is common to all airlines - you only have to look at the number of "My airline changed my seats" threads on CC to see that.

Yes, someone else has my seats, or what used to be my seats. ANZ does state that I may have a chance to acquire them when I check in, but can't guarantee anything.

I had upper deck, seats H and K: two seats to right of aisle on a 747-400. The reassigned seats are not bad, but they are in a row of three, not two.

Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it.

I had read on flyertalk that this can occasionally happen in order to seat spouses together, or keep families together, or for celebrities. Plus, when I made my seat selection, they stated it was only a request. Like you, my seat selection was important to me, but understood that my seat, even in business, could be taken away.

My boss flies business class internationally about once a month and always with Qantas. He ALWAYS has the same seat. I realise that your are flying Air New Zealand (by the way ANZ is a bank) but if you have a regular customer like him on your flight, he will always get his preferred allocation.

My boss flies business class internationally about once a month and always with Qantas. He ALWAYS has the same seat. I realise that your are flying Air New Zealand (by the way ANZ is a bank) but if you have a regular customer like him on your flight, he will always get his preferred allocation.

Mochuk - that is normally the case but the seating is subject to change for a variety of reasons like aircraft type change, or if it is a bassinet seat and then is required by another pax with a baby or even a pax with a medical requirement that perhaps needs that seat for it's proximity to a power outlet for medical equipment.

Pre assigned seats on Qantas international flights are not changed lightly and it doesn't often happen, (except for a system screw up a few weeks ago :D ) but it can happen.

Maurice

Yes, someone else has my seats, or what used to be my seats. ANZ does state that I may have a chance to acquire them when I check in, but can't guarantee anything.

I had upper deck, seats H and K: two seats to right of aisle on a 747-400. The reassigned seats are not bad, but they are in a row of three, not two.

Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it.

Was it 22 HK that you had, those would have been the best seats on the upper deck. Are there no other HK seats available? What about the lower deck, 27 AB, or HK? Those would be great seats too, very private. If available, I'd take row 27 over any upper deck seat. In fact, I think I'd take any Premium Economy seat on lower deck. More privacy, better personal service. Plus, I've read the lower deck seats have more leg room. Just something to consider if they're available. Remember, don't give up just yet. Keep trying, and be sure to get to airport early. If it never works out, you're still going to have a great flight.

Mochuk - that is normally the case but the seating is subject to change for a variety of reasons like aircraft type change, or if it is a bassinet seat and then is required by another pax with a baby or even a pax with a medical requirement that perhaps needs that seat for it's proximity to a power outlet for medical equipment.

Pre assigned seats on Qantas international flights are not changed lightly and it doesn't often happen, (except for a system screw up a few weeks ago :D ) but it can happen.

Maurice

I can tell you for sure he doesn't have a bassinette seat:D

Do they even have bassinettes in Business Class?

To the non Kiwis and Aussies, I know I'm being pedantic but ANZ is a bank not an airline. I think the proper abbreviation for Air New Zealand is either Air NZ or NZ Air. Perhaps a Kiwi can help me out (or Kennex). It just like Qantas is not Quantas. Its an acronym not a proper word.

To the non Kiwis and Aussies, I know I'm being pedantic but ANZ is a bank not an airline. I think the proper abbreviation for Air New Zealand is either Air NZ or NZ Air. Perhaps a Kiwi can help me out (or Kennex). It just like Qantas is not Quantas. Its an acronym not a proper word.

It is Air NZ or AirNZ. Like you, I cringe every time AirNZ is referred to as ANZ.

ANZ is the Australia and New Zealand Bank.

The Qantas acronym's full name begins "Queensland And Northern Territories . . .", hence, no "U".

Some of us Kiwis like to tease our Aussie cousins by referring to it as "Quaintass" .:D

Sorry not having a go at you call of the wild. Like I said its just me being pedantic.

Me too! No offence meant. :)

I blame my pedantry on my Grandma, an amazing woman of the early 20th century, who was the sole support of the family, as her husband was crippled. She raised 6 children, ran a café and shop, and taught school in a very poor area of east London (England).

Coming home from school each day, we were put through an inquisition that began, "Now, what did you learn today?" She was a terror for making sure we learned all our spelling homework!

Wish I could now meet her and talk adult-to-adult.

I can tell you for sure he doesn't have a bassinette seat:D

Do they even have bassinettes in Business Class?

We in the biz just refer to Air New Zealand as NZ, or if you're really really old like me TE :D

Actually we always refer to just about any airline by their 2 letter designator or now for some carriers a combination of a number and a letter to make the old brain work even harder :p

Maurice

Actually I remember when it was refered to as TE for Teal, but can't remember why that was. My hubby is a Kiwi but he's asleep so no help. think it had something to do with the fern.

Mochuk.

From memory, Tasman Empire Airways Ltd

Maurice

Archived