Air New Zealand seating not confirmed

Well, now you guys have me worried. We booked directly with ANZ group department and I sure was led to believe that the seats were a done deal. We have 12 of the 16 seats in the Premium Economy down stairs as well as another 5 (2 families) in economy. We were told we had the bassinet too.
I don't think that you really have anything to worry about. I don't know how NZ works, but if you are booked as a group, I would have thought it unlikely that they will split up the group having already got them settled in. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Mochuck's boss' experience doesn't necessarily involve people being moved out of the way for him. The explanation is more likely to be to do with Qantas' practice of reserving some areas of the aircraft for frequent flyers, who typically book very late. In the same way, I was once able to get one of my favourite seats even though I only booked five days before travel.

From memory, Tasman Empire Airways Ltd
Absolutely right! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasman_Empire_Airways_Limited

• 1 month later...

The flights were long, but we managed. Flight seats from LAX to Auckland was never changed back to our original choices. We were finally given two Premium Economy seats in a row of 3. We took a couple of domestic flights in New Zealand and seats were also moved. Best lesson learned: check in early to verify or choose your seats: seating assignments are not guaranteed.

Return from Auckland to LAX was interesting. Air New Zealand had two 747's drop out of service and substituted a 777 for our flight home. No Premium Economy seats available when we checked in. Flight agent suggested we take economy seats and that Air New Zealand would refund the difference (we were originally booked on Premium Economy seats). Or he said that we could take ther "red eye" flight later at 11:30 PM. We asked about the flights the next day and he replied that all flights to LAX were cancelled that day. We were about to elect to take the red eye when the supervising agent told us to wait about fifteen minutes. We did and he told us that we would be upgraded to first class because two people failed to show up for those seats. We, of course, accepted the free upgrade. So, despite all of the seating changes and challenges, we flew back to LAX business class and forgot about the seating assignment snafus earlier on our trip. Words to the wise: check in early and don't assume that your flight/plane is booked for you. I remember the airport agent telling us: "I don't know how we'll get those people booked on Sunday's cancelled flights to LAX before the week is out."

The flights were long, but we managed. Flight seats from LAX to Auckland was never changed back to our original choices. We were finally given two Premium Economy seats in a row of 3.

We were about to elect to take the red eye when the supervising agent told us to wait about fifteen minutes. We did and he told us that we would be upgraded to first class because two people failed to show up for those seats. We, of course, accepted the free upgrade. So, despite all of the seating changes and challenges, we flew back to LAX business class and forgot about the seating assignment snafus earlier on our trip.

I am so glad everything worked out well for you in the end. :D

Archived