Advice for Alaskan cruise

BarbaB

We are going to take an Alaskan cuise in either August or Sept on Vista class ship. Would appreciate any advice any and all could give. Also, if we book a G guarantee, what are the chances for an upgrade , and how long until we would know if we got one?

Also, if we book a G guarantee, what are the chances for an upgrade , and how long until we would know if we got one?
Your luck may vary, but in my experience if you book at least 4 months ahead you have a good chance of an upgrade. Out of six guarantees that I've booked, we've gotten six upgrades! One of those was for my DD and DSiL - an H guarantee became a C for the Zuiderdam in December. For an AK cruise you may get a lesser upgrade ... or none at all.

If you fill out the On-Line Check-In your cabin assignment will show up on the top of the first page sometime later than six weeks before sailing ... or you may not know until you get to the pier! The median seems to be about 21 days to 14 days before sailing. The earliest I've ever learned mine was 17 days out.

We cruised to Alaska last July and had a veranda. I'm not sure I would spend the extra dollars again. We might have spent the total for about an hour out there. We had cool wet weather the whole trip, except for one day in Ketchikan and the day we left Seattle. I would want a cabin with a window tho, to let the light in. :)

Would seriously consider getting a verandah cabin. We had great weather and spent the entire day on the verandah watching the world go by sipping hot chocolate or a cold dring with a good looking lady.

Life does not get any better than that....

Ruth & Jim

Consider an S class out of Vancouver. You will get much better scenery.

We have done a September cruise and had alot of fog. YMMV, because Alaska weather is totally unpredictable. It has been our experience that the late spring offers some bargain fairs with the chance of good weather when compared to the late September trips.

Gary

I think that will be a wonderful cruise!

We were on Zuiderdam in Alaska and really enjoyed it. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

We also cruised last September on Volendam and that was great too. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Check our link in the sig file below for several other Alaska cruises, which will give you some idea of options available.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We did an 11-night last-of-the-season cruise-tour last Sep and the only really bad weather we had was in Denali. We also had some light rain in Juneau. But the odds of good weather are much better in August, of course.

BTW - welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL forum! :)

We are looking at either the Oosterdam or westerdam for alaska cruise and would like a outside cabin--I would like to be higher then the main deck without the life boats in my view- since we might not get a balcony-------any suggestions on cabins would be appreciated.

Our first crusie was on the Noordam to Alaska (Aug 26-Sept 7). We had a guarentee balcony cabin (Vh to be exact, only on level 4). We were upgraded to a VE on level 5.

The weather was great and we used the balcony quite often. One of our best memories was shortly after we dock in Juneau, we were standing on the balcony and an eagle soared right in front of us. It was so close and just at our height, we almost could have reached out and touched it. Ofcourse neither one of us had our cameras out. But it's a great memory.

We found out our cabin number about 3 weeks out. My sister went with us and booked an inside cabin (M catagory I think). She was upgraded 3 times, the last time at the pier. By then, she received a totally unobstructed view cabin. She was very happy.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself regardless. My only advice would be to book a guarentee you would be happy with. I was really worried I would be in the VH cabin and I didn't want to be. For my next cruise, I did a little more research and picked a guarentee I would be happy with if I didn't get an upgrade.

I leave in 2 days for that cruise and am happy to report I was upgraded from a VF to a VA. Very happy.

... higher then the main deck without the life boats in my view- since we might not get a balcony--

The only two non-obstructed rooms above the Main deck without a balcony are F4121 and F4122. If you're willing to accept a partial obstruction by life boats you would have 14 G cabins on deck 4 to choose from.

Archived