Hong Kong 2009

floridaphilly

We are booked on the Pride leaving Hong Kong on Jan 3,09. I know it seems far away but we will be arriving in Hong Kong several days early and will be spending New Years Eve there. Can anyone discuss the differences between the Peninsula and the Intercontinental and which you would recommend. The IC is right on the harbor. Would that make a difference for festivities for New Years? Should we be looking at any other hotels? I appreciate all input.

Thanks

Phyllis

Hi Phyllis,

See you in four weeks or so.

I have stayed at the IC when it was the Regent and the views are incomparable. I think the hotel itself looks rather dated though. The Peninsula also has great views but only from the newer tower and be sure to book a deluxe double if you go there. My personal problem with the Pen is that the lobby is always filled with lookie-loos, Last year I stayed at the new Four Seasons in a club level room and it was outstanding. Admittedly, the views of the harbor are less dramatic because you are on the Hong Kong side looking back at Kowloon instead of the other way around. But the rooms, service etc made up for it imo. If views don't matter there is also the Landmark Mandarin Oriental which has great design and contemporary rooms but looks out on other buildings. As far as New Years festivities I am sure any of the above would make arrangements for you.

It's a pity you'll be there in January 2009 as I board the Spirit in February in Singapore for 22 days. We'll only be in Hong Kong for one day though between two segments.

I recently returned from Hong Kong and have been there several times. I am not a fan of the Kowloon side for purposes of accomodations. It is very touristy and I agree with the previous poster that the Peninsula is very crowded with tourists off the cruise ships, etc (in facat all of Kowloon is like thatO. I much prefer the Central district of Hong Kong Island. You have two choices of Mandarin Oriental. The original, which was totally refurbished about a year or two ago which has beautiful harbor views and the newer Landmark Mandarin Oriental, which is my personal favorite. The Landmark caterers more to business travelers but is equally appealing to those on vacation and is superbly located, The new Four Seasons is also beautiful with harbor views but a bit out of the way. With that said, everything in the central area of Hong Kong Island is connected by internal walkways so nothing is really far from anything else.

From Hong Kong Island Kowloon is easily reachable by the star ferry if you want to visit or spend the day.

Enjoy you trip!!

We are considering a cruise that leaves the end of Feb.'09. As a past Seabourn cruiser our most pleasant experiences were having lunch on deck and the barbeque. Looking at the projected weather, it does not seem like these will be two activities that I will be able to experience on a sailing to this locale. I'd be interested in knowing how the weather influenced this sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mandarin used to be THE PLACE, but I think that may have changed over the years. I love The Eagles Nest Restaurante in the top of the HK Hilton ( Ladies get Roses when the go potty !) plus the food i=s great and the view is great. Another fo=avorite ( for just great food) is the world famous Jimmy's Kitchen, and lastly the floating restaurantes at Abeerdeen (at Night) anr a must visit, And the cable car to the Peak is a nice trip. Taxis are honest in HK, at least I've never had a problem there.

Please have a Wonderful Trip. :) Jer the Bear

Archived