Adding a passenger

linda mac

Does anyone know what the rule is for adding a passenger to a cabin after final payment is made. I have a couple of cabins booked for my family vacation and one one the cabins is booked as a single. It is a CAT BB and I paid double. I have called princess a few times and can't get the same answer twice. Can I add a passenger to that cabin or is it possible that if the ship is full I might not be able to. Also what does max. capacity really mean in terms of cabins and passengers.

Generally, they won't allow any passenger changes to a booking after final payment, in my experience.

As far as "max" capacity, the normal capacity of a ship is two people per stateroom. The "maximum" capacity is determined by lots of things, like lifeboats and safety equipment, etc and is set by whichever organization certifies the ship (Lloyds, the Italian Naval register, the American Bureau of Shipping, etc, there are about a dozen).

It is possible that the maximum capacity of a ship is less than the number of berths if all the 3 and 4 berth staterooms plus all the crew staterooms were to be filled.

It should not be a problem since it is a single occ. cabin being paid at double the price. Check your port charges though - sometimes when booking a single occ. cabin, the port charges are only 1.66x the regular port charges instead of 2.00x. Also check the gov. taxes. They may be only a partial charge instead of a full two-times the normal amount.

Does anyone know what the rule is for adding a passenger to a cabin after final payment is made. I have a couple of cabins booked for my family vacation and one one the cabins is booked as a single. It is a CAT BB and I paid double. I have called princess a few times and can't get the same answer twice. Can I add a passenger to that cabin or is it possible that if the ship is full I might not be able to. Also what does max. capacity really mean in terms of cabins and passengers.
This is easy. Talk to your TA and have them add the passenger, pay the additional amount, if any, and make arrangements with the other passenger to pay you the difference (since you've paid the single rate). If they give you a hassle, just say you're paying for both and then work it out with the other person in the cabin. Princess charges $50 for every name change or addition after final payment. There's no charge if done before final payment. However, it is possible that the maximum capacity on the ship has been reached and no additional passengers can be added. That's something for your TA to figure out and let you know.

I did this for my Viking River Cruise last August. I'd pre-paid the previous September '06 and then invited a friend to go with me. There was a supplement for the 2nd passenger but she just paid me back for that. It wasn't a big deal.

Five days before sailing on the 11/25 CB, I called our TA and asked to add 2 people to a cabin that was booked and paid as a single. The cabin was on plaza deck and could accomodate 3. The single had paid , in effect, a double rate. They recalculated the cost of the cabin to a triple and the cost increased by 450.00. A Princess rep called and we gave all immigration info over phone. It was very simple...all handled in a matter of minutes by TA. Hope this helps.

Donna

I've added an additional passenger several times after final payment without any problem. I plan my trips long in advance while the nature of my friend's work has her wait longer to decide. We've never had trouble adding her and she pays the difference and we work it out later.

Archived