Was bored...

tntornadox

The pod has been fixed to the right position, and the 'ears' from the funnels have been removed. Now that she's looking like a proper ship, I am thinking about starting deck plans, if my constant boredom at night continues... stay tuned.

mauretaniajd5.png

Please post any comments or addition ideas!

Please continue commenting!

Couldn't stop us if you tried.

Most important nit: the props on the pods are forward, not aft (they pull, not push). And please give her four pods, not two, so that she may achieve liner speeds.

Don't know if this would show in your drawing, but please locate the Grills dining rooms amidships one deck below the promenade deck (and a promenade deck is an essential liner feature). Lots of large windows, please.

Dining rooms on the highest decks don't make much sense to me, but bars, lounges, and discos do.

Since balconies are in these days and lifeboats spoil their view, how about stacking the lifeboats three deep horizontally so that the only view they obscure is that from a center hallway?

Please never mention the Titanic again; otherwise, carry on.

Paul

O.K., now I'm ready for another funnel...:rolleyes: perhaps with wings flying off either side. (Can you tell I loved the S.S. France?) Or a tapered platform off the top of each one, like the Raffaello/Michaelangelo? No? O.k, but the one funnel may need to be adjusted forward slightly, and perhaps with some rake to it. Size? Larger perhaps? Enough about funnels...

I don't care where the restaurants are, but I'm not fond of the aft location on so many cruise ships these days. I DO want a forward bar/lounge, perhaps right under the bridge, a la Commodore Lounge, that gives a good view forward of the bow.

Andrew

I updated the Mauretania with windows, which I think shows off her length even more, and makes her somewhat more impressive. The grill restaurants/lounges are located immediately aft of the funnel, and has larger windows than the rest of the ship, if you notice.

The Promenade deck has covered windows that can be opened, they are also used on the superstructure as well.

mauretaniafc8.png

I updated the Mauretania with windows, which I think shows off her length even more, and makes her somewhat more impressive. The grill restaurants/lounges are located immediately aft of the funnel, and has larger windows than the rest of the ship, if you notice.

The Promenade deck has covered windows that can be opened, they are also used on the superstructure as well. ...

The only sensible name for this ship at this point in time is "RMS Fantasia".

The only thing properly located "immediately aft of the funnel" is smoke. See my above ukase about PG/QG restaurant location.

Windowing the promenade deck may not be as daft a notion as I first thought provided that the windows are completely and invisibly retractable.

The Promenade deck has covered windows that can be opened, they are also used on the superstructure as well.

mauretaniafc8.png

Looking good, you made her reminiscent of the QE2, long bow and nothing above the bridge. Now you need to send a copy to Carol Marlow.

steve

The funnel uses the scoop that has became a Cunard icon in itself to ensure the smoke stays away from the aft decks, especially immediately after it.

Windowed promenades are nothing new, and seeing how they are retractable- gives the line alot of flexiblility in warm or cool temperatures, and good or bad weather.

And I would think everyone would enjoy dining on top of the ship, im sure the view must be simply amazing up there. I borrowed some elements from the QV in this design, since its meant to be more along her lines than the Express liners, although I would like for her to be faster for any Atlantic/Pacific runs.

I intend to have obstructed view staterooms behind the lifeboats.

A couple of points.

Much as I like your idea for Olympic, I can't see that working commercially. Links with RMS Titanic aren't good, the White Star Line isn't well known and if Cunard go away from Queen names, it will (surely?) be to Mauretania, Laconia or Caronia. Or, my personal hope, Carpathia.

Matthew

How about the 'Constantia'? I challenge anyone to identify her!:)

I thought that maybe the funnel made this one look a little too much like a Costa ship. Doesn't Crystal have those wings too? My vote would be for putting back the wings.

How about the 'Constantia'? I challenge anyone to identify her!:)

I thought that maybe the funnel made this one look a little too much like a Costa ship. Doesn't Crystal have those wings too? My vote would be for putting back the wings.

The former victory ship?

The former victory ship?

Not what I had in mind.

Sorry, I got my ears & wings mixed up. I meant the sleeve like thing on the QE2 & Crystal funnels, not the things on Carnival & the France.:o

I thought that that might have less of a Costa look.

You know, I"m actually starting to like this version....much nicer bow....love the observation area on the bow plane....nice terracing....Myabe a touch of work on that funnel. It seems to be lacking something...I definitely see oil can, sorry. Good name choice....definitely shows promise. When do we book?;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

The vessel now has the more standard, modern Cunard funnel, to relieve the discussion. I also added a second pod, which would equal four altogether for a much higher speed than the current Queen Victoria and more along the lines of the QM2, but not quite.

I am now attempting to work on the deck plans, but if anyone has any further comments to requests, please post.

mauretaniavw6.png

Deck plans already? Takes us 1 day to design the perfect ship, what takes Cunard 2 years? :P

Ideas for terrace usage....grills pool, children's outdoor play area, britannia pool, "sports" court for things like shuffleboard, table tennis etc.

You just can't beat the QV theater and having Todd English right off the main atrium's second level was very nice. And please please please make a few quad balconies or at least triples that connect :) (hey since we're dreaming why not dream big?)

All for now

....It seems to me that the superstructure is far too tall for the hull. What if you added a few decks between the waterline and promenade deck? :D

(Sorry to be a pain in the rear end :))

Not a problem at all, I was beginning to think the exact same thing, actually. Here is an updated version for you to goggle.

Also, I have Decks 1 & 2 nearly complete on the deckplans, so if anyone has any problems with the way things are situated on QM2 (which I am basing this off of), then let me know, and we'll play public room roulette!

mauretaniabd4.png

I must say, she is really much closer to the QM2 rather than the QV now! Guess it goes to show what we prefer! (Although, the interiors of the QV are very well done and I loved every inch of her)

Move Todd English to a nice private corner and do something with the King's court and put some of those connecting triples near the children's play zone if you could please.

I have put Todd English on Deck 2 just Aft of the Grand Atrium, it's one of the main spaces off the atrium, aft towards Britannia. A good central location with lots of foot traffic. How does that sound?

Kings Court I am planning for Deck 3 (Promenade) it will take up the bulk of the aft end of the vessel, and I assure you, there will be plenty of seating!

The Play Zone is being planned for Deck 8 Aft, where the childrens' waterpark will be located on the level terrace there. Some small slides and play things to go there. I am planning for the teen club to go on Decks 12-13 in front of the funnel (Where the ship's name is) overlooking the main pool, I may also designate the space immediately forward of that as some Sport Space, including basketball hoops and such...

In the end, I still would like to consider this a cruise ship, although you are right, she has ballooned some. Bear in mind, however, that even QV has 12 official decks, so we are only one more deck higher than she is, so I think she could still pass as a cruise version!

Another thing to be said about decks, passenger Deck 1 is above the waterline, with the decks underneath serving as machinery and crew purposes, of course. I also did this so the main galley for Britannia could be hidden, and the Restaurant could expand the entire width of the ship (ala QM2). Due to this, however, the panaromic glass elevators do not reach true scenery until Deck 3 (Promenade), they dip down into the hull to serve Decks 1 & 2, which gives it that canterlevered (sp) look along the elevators, sorta like on RCI's Freedom of the Seas, where two whirlpools are canterlevered over the edge of the deck, for stunning effect.

Sorry to double post here, but I have finished the deck plans for Decks 1 & 2 for the [I]R.M.S. Mauretania[/I]. Please advise if you wish to amend the plans or the ship itself!

[IMG]http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9510/decks12bu2.png[/IMG]

[quote name='tntornadox']The funnel uses the scoop that has became a Cunard icon in itself to ensure the smoke stays away from the aft decks, especially immediately after it.[/quote]

It doesn't work! At least on the QM2 - it does work with the QE2 funnel which is much taller - but the crew on the QM2 are forever cleaning smuts.......it also makes the funnel look shorter........

Aft restarant? NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo! I'd rather it be centrally located- I know this messes up the 'flow' but I like it better and don't mind having folks walk up and down to get to the dining room. Crystal does a good job of this with the main restaurant. Maybe I'll just have to book in the grills only, but I'd like those in front of the funnel, too.

Andrew

Here is a very rough draft of an idea I had for the Kings Court

[attachment=51839:name]

It would still allow for alternate venues in the evening while being easy to reach. didn't spend time enough to properly show table placement and the room should be lenghtened but you get the idea ;)

OK, here's my idea for a Quad balcony. It would be most ideal for parents with 2 children under 5'4'' as the "bunks would have to be shorter than a traditional bed. But, this "bunk bed" inspired design would enable parents to still access the balcony when the kids are asleep. I didn't draw the main bedroom part of the cabin and obviously have a hard time drawing in 3D. The curtain in the forefront would, like a hospital room, be able to circle around the "bunk beds" for privacy. The bottom bed is a lounger by day, fitted with round pillows and a firm cushion that has a memory foam topper (stored underneath) put on during the evening for comfort. This way, it does not distract from the style of a Cunard cabin while turning into a comfortable bed in the evening. We keep the desk area and add a small chair. Although shown in the picture with quite a space around it, really it would be tight up against the desk but give a family of four plenty of seating. The rest of the cabin would be standard.

Only 6-8 of these cabins would need to exsist on the ship. While we don't want Cunard to become over run with families, it would be nice for those of us with very small children who want the experience of Cunard to have an option other than splitting up into two cabins.

Really, even for triple cabins I would like to see more of a daybed rather than a pull out sofa as you can not access the balcony when it is open.
[attachment=51845:name]

[quote name='tntornadox']Sorry to double post here, but I have finished the deck plans for Decks 1 & 2 for the [I]R.M.S. Mauretania[/I]. Please advise if you wish to amend the plans or the ship itself!

[IMG]http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9510/decks12bu2.png[/IMG][/quote]

Unless you are planning on sinking the Mary, I think you will have to change the RMS designation to something else, because Mary is the RMS.

Somewhere I got the idea that only one of them could be designated RMS, so if that idea is incorrect, you don't have to do anything drastic.

[quote name='Wadadli1']Somewhere I got the idea that only one of them could be designated RMS, so if that idea is incorrect, you don't have to do anything drastic.[/quote]

There can be as many RMS's as carry the mail - but since it is unlikely that a cruise ship would carry mail - and the Trans Atlantic liner position is currently filled, and will likely remain so for the next 40 years, I guess it will be MV Mauretania......

Archived