A Few Questions From A Celebrity Newbie

Retired 07

We are booking a cruise on the Constellation in October to Canada/New England. Having only sailed twice before, (both on Princess) we decided to try a different line, but I have a few questions.

1) Is there a buffet on board? If so, what is it called? I can't find any reference to it in the brochure, or on the ship's diagram.

2) What, exactly is the difference between 'informal' and 'casual? Are sport jackets necessary? Our suitcases are already pretty full with a suit/dress for formal nights, and all the cold weather clothes we will be bringing.

3) Stateroom location: On our previous cruises, we had balconies. On this one we decided to try an outside cabin to see how we like it, and to save a little money. Most of these are on the continental or plaza deck. Does anyone have any comments on these? Any noise issues from above? Any recommendations as to location?

Any answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

1. Yes, there is a buffet. It is located at the Aft end of the Lido deck (behind the main pools). They serve buffet style breakfast and lunch there. In the evening, there is no buffet per se, but they transform one section of that area to a casual dining venue with table service. Also, sushi, made-to-order pasta and pizza are available in this area as well.

There is also the aqua spa cafe which serves healthier food cafeteria style from morning till 7 or 8 P.M. It is located next to the Thallassotherapy pool in the solarium.

2. Informal does require a jacket. In a pinch, somebody could wear the suit jacket with a different pair of trousers, but I never found it that difficult to bring a separate sport coat. You can always wear it to travel, and then it won't take up extra room in your luggage.

3. I have no response about the cabins.

2. Informal does require a jacket. In a pinch, somebody could wear the suit jacket with a different pair of trousers, but I never found it that difficult to bring a separate sport coat. You can always wear it to travel, and then it won't take up extra room in your luggage.

We're also new to Celebrity, but we're considering a 14-night New Zealand/Australia cruise. Does this mean my husband will have to wear a jacket in the dining room every night? I don't think he'll be happy about that. We always dress nicely, but on informal nights sometimes he'll just wear a shirt and tie. He does have a couple sports coats he could bring -- I'm just concerned about having enough stuff to wear for 14 days :eek:

Ah, it's the age old question. This is what I do to keep the luggage down to eight pieces: I rent the tux (and all the stuff that goes along with it) and it is delivered to the cabin soon after departure. It's amazing how nice they are. Really. And I have my own tux at home; this is just so very easy. I skip bring a dark suit this way, too. (Yeah, I'm one of those that wish everyone would wear a tux to formal nights. I hate when my group is all dressed up and the dude next to us in the bar has on worn khakis and a Member's Only jacket.) ;)

Informal nights...one blue blazer will get you through almost any cruise. Just switch up the ties. I bring a second blazer for longer cruises. Wear one on the plane to save room.

Casual...slacks and a polo or button-down w/o a tie. For a cooler cruise, throw on a sweater.

We had an inside cabin on our cruise to New England and Canada. It's such a port-intensive trip that we did not mind. We weren't on the ship much when a window would have had any kind of a view--other than darkness.

I'd rather be on a higher deck and would choose Plaza over Continental.

There is also the aqua spa cafe which serves healthier food cafeteria style from morning till 7 or 8 P.M. It is located next to the Thallassotherapy pool in the solarium.
Unfortunately, the thallassotherapy pool was taken out during the refurbishing a couple of years ago. It was our favorite spot on the Century.

Unfortunately, the thallassotherapy pool was taken out during the refurbishing a couple of years ago. It was our favorite spot on the Century.

I totally agree with the loss of the T pool on Century; luckily, the OP is sailing on Constellation.:o so it won't matter!

1. Yes, there is a buffet. It is located at the Aft end of the Lido deck...

Lido deck is a term not officially used on Celebrity and dates back to a time when almost every line called the deck that often had both the pool and the buffet the Lido deck. For the newbie poster, on the Constellation and most other Celebrity ships this is called the "Resort" deck although I think the Lido term is making a comeback on the upcoming Solstice. The main buffet area on the Connie is labeled the "Seaside Cafe" on the deck plans.

Archived