San Diego

justcruzin2

I will be crusing out of San Diego in November on the Oosterdam and am interested in a couple of things. I know where the pier is and it seems it would be a difficult embarcation/debarcation unless you are at a hotel within walking distance (a quick check showed they are already sold out). Will taking a taxi in or out of the pier area be a problem? (just got back from Galveston and it was a nightmare).

Also fog was an issue in Galveston. Has anyone experienced delays due to fog in San Diego?

Thanks for your comments.

Absolutely no problem. We sailed last November on the MS Oosterdam and stayed at the Marriott in Gastown. A taxi ride from just about anywhere downtown should cost less than $15:00. The cabs drive right on to the pier, you get out, give one of the porters your bags and your ready to enter the bldg. for embarkation.

We left the hotel @10:45 and were on board by 11:20! Have a great cruise. Our trip was outstanding.

I will be crusing out of San Diego in November on the Oosterdam and am interested in a couple of things. I know where the pier is and it seems it would be a difficult embarcation/debarcation unless you are at a hotel within walking distance (a quick check showed they are already sold out). Will taking a taxi in or out of the pier area be a problem? (just got back from Galveston and it was a nightmare).

Also fog was an issue in Galveston. Has anyone experienced delays due to fog in San Diego?

Thanks for your comments.

I have sailed out of San Diego 3 times and stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay...it's great you can just walk aross the street to the Dock.:)

Ken & Sherry

One year we did have a problem with fog. It was in Ocotober - the ship didn't arrive until nearly 10 AM. Thus disembarkation of old passengers and embarkation of new passengers ran quite late.

On our recent Ryndam cruise -- disembarkation -- you had to get in a special line to get a porter to help you get your luggage out to the taxis -- there are a lot of them there. In the past we didn't have to do this.

Also -- you now go through immigration before getting on the ship. So once you drop off your luggage, have ready your cruise immigration and passports which you will show first. Then you will go through security. After that you will go to the official check-in lines to get on the ship.

Ot is not a problem to get a taxi into the port either -- just don't arrive before 11 AM.

We always stay at the Embassy Suites and use their shuttle to take us to the pier.

Let me ask, as most of you have embarked from San Diego. I was just looking at the folks taking pictures of the ships and harbor - on the other threads - My Question: Are they getting on & off those ships by the stairway type of thing from the ship - or - are there airline - type tubes to go into a terminal ?

I looks like those rinky -dink stairways. If ever there is an improvement needed, it's with those things.

Thanks, M.A.

Let me ask, as most of you have embarked from San Diego. I was just looking at the folks taking pictures of the ships and harbor - on the other threads - My Question: Are they getting on & off those ships by the stairway type of thing from the ship - or - are there airline - type tubes to go into a terminal ?

I looks like those rinky -dink stairways. If ever there is an improvement needed, it's with those things.

Thanks, M.A.

There are stairs, but they didn't seem "rinky-dink". There are also elevators for those who wish to wait for them.

On our cruise in Nov/Dec -- Zaandam was at the main pier -- where you see the Maasdam today -- she has the normal boarding as it is the main terminal.

The Oosterdam is where we were (Ryndam) - South pier - no stairs -- just a series of ramps that wound their way up to the embarkation part of the ship - main deck. Those who were in wheel chairs and other handicapped people were excorted onto the ship via the crew entrance.

A couple of years ago we had to use steep stairs -- they were murder!!!

Thanks so much - It sounds like the stairs are in the terminal - right ? I'll wait for the elevator. Ramps are better than stairs and the airline-tube thing is great.

Can you tell I'm nervous about heights & stairs,:eek: . Another thing to get over !!

M.A.

Archived