Galaxy Eastern Med - 10 or 11 days???

elaineb

We are planning a Med cruise on Galaxy in September 2010. I know it quite a long time from now, but I have to plan ahead for finances and work. I do have to work around our accounting month end schedules. So question one is when will Celebrity post their 2010 schedules? And if both work with my schedule, which would you prefer and why - the 10 day which goes to Sicily, or the 11 day which skips Sicily but spends 2 days in Instanbul? Would love any feedback! Thanks.

Just my personal opinion, but I have been to both Sicily and Istanbul--I LOVED Sicily and would go back in a heartbeat, but have no desire to ever return to Istanbul, although it was interesting. I'd pick the 10 day and use the extra day or days to fly in a day early to the point of departure--that's my latest crusade. 1) helps enormously with jet lag so that you begin your actual cruise rested and relaxed; 2) gives your luggage time to catch up with you in the event of trouble; and 3) gives you time to see whatever city you're in--many Med cruises leasve from Barcelona and it would be a crime not to spend some time there--fabulous, beautiful city.

But you'll have a wonderful time whichever way you go!

Cathy

Cathy - My DH and I did a land tour of Italy in 2006 and thought it was amazing! We decided then and there we had to return and vowed to visit Sicily on our next trip. As this itinerary begins and ends near Rome, we were planning to arrive a nite or 2 before to soak in that Italian vibe. But I've been looking at the 11 day itinerary and Instanbul looked intriguing....I probably wouldn't fly to Istanbul for a land vacation, but I probably would visit Sicily (take a ferry from the mainland). What in particular didn't you like about Instanbul?

We are planning a Med cruise on Galaxy in September 2010. I know it quite a long time from now, but I have to plan ahead for finances and work. I do have to work around our accounting month end schedules. So question one is when will Celebrity post their 2010 schedules? And if both work with my schedule, which would you prefer and why - the 10 day which goes to Sicily, or the 11 day which skips Sicily but spends 2 days in Instanbul? Would love any feedback! Thanks.

You will have plenty of time to prepare since the 2010 schedules will not be released until spring of 2009.

As for the Sicily/Istanbul question we've been to Messina (Sicily) twice and Instanbul twice (including an overnight like you are contemplating) and for us it would be Istanbul hands down, especially if you have other Italian ports on the cruise.

To me, Istanbul was a big, crowded, dirty city. Now, I live in a COUNTY of 7,000 with one traffic light, so I am probably not the best person to give an opinion on this.

We saw the historic sights, the markets, the mosques, etc. and it was interesting as I said before. But I loved the quaintness of Sicily, the way the villages terrace up the hillsides, the excellent food, and so on. Obviously lots of Italy is very similar, so I guess if you are doing other smaller Italian ports Istanbul may be a good contrast--I was just stating my personal preference.

Staying in Rome for a couple of days pre-cruise is perfect--I never have enough time there! We did the Western Med last fall, and finished up with four days driving through France to Paris--now we can't wait to go back and do a big land tour. Plan to start in London, where we hope to see our tablemates from the last cruise, take the Eurostar to Paris, and then rent a car and drive through France (where DH used to live), Switzerland (where I used to live) and Italy and fly home from Rome. But before we can do that we HAVE to go to Costa Rica next week--darn it! Anything to get out of all this SNOW!

Maybe the PP has the best idea--enjoy all of Italy and then see Istanbul too for a completely different experience--the reality is, it's ALL good!

Cathy

CC - I have to wait until next spring to book? I guess I do have time to do lots of research! As for Italian ports, there is only 1 - Naples, besides the embarking/disembarking from Civitavecchia (Rome). This is really a Greek Isle cruise. The 10 day already has 2 Turkey stops - Piraeus (Athens) and Kudasii. The 11 day drops Sicily and adds 2 days in Instanbul.......

Cathy - I know what you mean about the quaintness, hillsides, food, etc. of Italy. It exceeded any expectations we had. We are still glowing from it and it will be 2 years in May! Note my avatar at the the Trevi Fountain. Enjoy Costa Rica - so many destinations, so little time...

Archived