Postal Rates

Johanna7

Could anyone from both Australia and New Zealand please tell me the postal rates for post cards to Canada and Europe and also letters from Australia & New Zealand to Canada please.

I tried to google this information and all I got was ridiculous gobbledeegook and a picture of a huge honking postal truck.

All I need are the rates but that seems impossible to find.

Thanks in advance.

Johanna

Mochuk, thanks for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for and I do appreciate it.

Sayaguru, I tried that website and it was not very direct or explicit. At one point I got a picture of a huge postal truck instead of the cost.

I have some stamps left over from 3 years ago and I will not be able to use them. I think the $2 ones I have will work on a letter, despite the $1.95. You can always use more - at least here you can.

Again, thanks for your help.

Johanna

Mochuk, thanks for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for and I do appreciate it.

Sayaguru, I tried that website and it was not very direct or explicit. At one point I got a picture of a huge postal truck instead of the cost.

I have some stamps left over from 3 years ago and I will not be able to use them. I think the $2 ones I have will work on a letter, despite the $1.95. You can always use more - at least here you can.

Again, thanks for your help.

Johanna

It is now NZ$2 to Canada. NZ has dropped the 5 cent piece, so things have been rounded up or down.

Thank you Kiwi cruiser.

$2 sounds like a nice even amount. Is that for letters or postcards. Or both. Here in Canada the rate for letters and postcards is the same. It is 52 cents local, 93 cents to US and $1.55 anywhere overseas. Letters and cards.

Interesting - I don't know how much it was in Australia, but I sent two post cards through the ship and they charged me $2.50 each which included the postage - I don't think he even asked me where it was going to - just a flat rate.

When we arrived in New Zealand, I purchased two stamps and I thought they were $1.50 each for the post card postage - going to the U.S.

Kiwi Sailor - Intersting that you dropped the $.05, so everything now goes in increments of $.10? In the U.S., many things cost by the $.99 or $.95 so they don't have to go up to the next dollar - guess they think they are fooling the public. :confused: So there, do they make things $14.90 vs. $15? Just curious - I think everything I dealt with there was just one flat dollar amount :D Or maybe I just wasn't paying that close of attention. :cool:

Blevin:

We have pennies and nickels too but our postage is subject to GST. Goods and Services tax but not PST, Provincial Sales tax of 8% in Ontario. The GST is presently 5% so you have to add 5% on the postage but it only shows what it shows and not the extra 5%. Used to be 7%, then dropped to 6% and on Jan. 1, 2008 dropped another 1% to 5%. Must be an election on the way and they want to impress us.

Lots of stuff is 5.99 or 5.98 plus tax of course and we do use lots of pennies due to the taxes.

Okay - this is a bit confusing.... will try to explain.

When buying stamps in Aust you will notice that domestic stamps are a little different to International ones. The domestic stamps include the 10% GST while the international ones don't.

Thus, if you are using domestic stamps for international post, you MUST ADD 10% EXTRA VALUE TO THE QUOTED AMOUNT to take into account that the post office actually handed over 10% of the stamp value to the Federal Govt, thus, you need to add the extra stamp value so that Australia Post gets its cut.

That was easy to understand wasn't it??? :rolleyes:

It is just easier to go to the post office and get an international stamp on your letter... then you don't have to worry!

Mark.

Postcards from Australia to overseas cost $Aus 1.25 (International Stamp).

Cards in an envelope marked "card only", with a few words, costs the same. The cost is the same to everywhere overseas. You can also buy Australian postcards from the Post Office, which include international/domestic postage.

Letters from Australia to overseas cost is by weight, starting at 50g.

Whilst we don't have any pennies, 5 cents being the smallest value coin, pennies are used, eg $4.99. If you were paying by cheque/credit card, $4.99 is what you will pay, however, if you were paying by cash, you would pay $5.00. Now we have a purse full of 5 cent pieces instead of pennies.

Sounds like your shipping line made a nice little profit $2.50 for a $1.25 stamp, unless that included the cost of the postcard.

Hope this helps a little.

Archived