Brighton or Accra?

dcsam

Just looking for a nice, quiet beach

where my 82 yr old mom can swim easily (with easy slope into the water).

Without a doubt... Carlisle Bay, where there's noticeably no annoying drop-off.

It's close-by, just the other side of the city from the Port where your ship will be docked

your ship will be within sight, in fact

See my pics at...

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/scenes.html

Thank you for the information. Is Carlisle the same as the Boatyard? I think I was at Carlisle before. It was more a party atmosphere, but if I remember correctly, we could have walked down the beach and had the area to ourselves. Is this also the beach where there's a sunken vessel offshore that many of the tour boats stop at? Is Carlisle within walking distance of the ship? I was wondering - because my husband and I will be spending part of the day with Silver Moon. I don't know what my mom and brother should do, but it might be fun to meet them at the beach after we're finished with our trip. Perhaps the people at Silver Moon could drop us off there instead of at the ship?

Thanks again!

Caroline

Is Carlisle the same as the Boatyard? ===> yes.

I think I was at Carlisle before. It was more a party atmosphere, but if I remember correctly, we could have walked down the beach and had the area to ourselves. ===> Yes, all 2 miles of it!

Is this also the beach where there's a sunken vessel offshore that many of the tour boats stop at? ===> Yes.

Is Carlisle within walking distance of the ship? ===> If you're a walker, but what about Mom?

I was wondering - because my husband and I will be spending part of the day with Silver Moon. I don't know what my mom and brother should do, but it might be fun to meet them at the beach after we're finished with our trip. Perhaps the people at Silver Moon could drop us off there instead of at the ship? ===> Sounds plausible, but don't quote me.

Boatyard is just one facility that borders and uses Carlisle Bay.

There's also Harbour Lights(another club)

and Lobster Alive, more laid-back and 'rustic', run by an Aussie guy

If Carlisle is the one with the sunken vessel,

could my brother swim to it? ===> Sure!

He loves anything that has to do with snorkeling.

The wreck of the tug-boat BERWYN lies about 150 yds. offshore.

Yes, any able-bodied snorkeller can swim to it.

Berwyn was deliberately scuttled by her crew in 1916

just before another dreaded trip out into the submarine-infested Atlantic

this..during World War 1.

Everyone including the ship's cat swam ashore!

That's the story I got from local historian Edw. Stoute

before he died some 20 yrs. ago.

"I sell it as I bought it."

Aplmac!

Thanks for the information! Do you live on Barbados? Do you happen to have Goggle Earth? When I used Google Earth to look at Carlisle Bay, there appears to be a parking lot about mid point. Is there a name for that area? If my brother and mom met us there, where would be a good dropping off point where we could meet (somewhere a taxi driver would know). We'd like to be away from the crowds (if that's possible). We'll bring our own beach umbrella. I've just had bad experiences at the restaurant/bar beach places. Another time we were in Barbados, the taxi driver dropped us off at some crazy beach bar/restaurant. It was row after row of umbrellas and beach chairs. Plus, we were getting mobbed by people trying to either sell us something or braid my hair. Here I am, going on a cruise, and I'm not much of a 'people person' - oh well!

Thanks again!

We had been to Boatyard before so last March we asked the Barbados Tourist Office at the terminal for a beach recommendation. The lady advised thaat for $2 or $3 we could get a cab to Brighton (if you avoid being scalped by that gang immediately outside the terminal. We a hundred yards farther and there are some more reasonable taxis).

Brighton is so close to the terminal that it would be a relatively easy walk. It's this long stretch of perfect sand. There are bathroom and changing facilities, chair rental and one restaurant.

The beach itself is calm and slopes gently. However, I thought it was quite corally. That was no problem for me since I wear swim shoes.

What really was a problem is that I got terribly burned, even though I stayed in the shadow for the most part. All in all, a great day.

We'll be back in Barbados next month. We'll head for Accra because we want to experience it. We'll then be back in Barbados in January so we can sample further.

Archived