How will airline charges for a second bag change the way you pack?

erniesband

How do you think it'll affect your packing plans?

We always fly American. True, they could institute this new rule, but it will not even get a sniffle from us because as it is, we frequently pay extra $$ for Overweight checked bags.

At first, years ago, I would get all twisted up about paying extra for an overweight bag, until I stopped to consider that I was paying a total of around $1000 for airfare, $500 or more for hotels bookending the trip, $2000+for cruise fare, $1000 on the Seapass, and $500 for tips, cabs, and other odd things.

In view of such expenditures for a cruise, I certainly don't give a hoot about another $25 to $100 for extra baggage charges.

The packing list stays the same, and I will indeed enjoy wearing all of my beautiful cruise clothes.....and Brian will still schlep all of his techno-gadgets and his tux. :)

Leslie

We always fly American. True, they could institute this new rule, but it will not even get a sniffle from us because as it is, we frequently pay extra $$ for Overweight checked bags.

At first, years ago, I would get all twisted up about paying extra for an overweight bag, until I stopped to consider that I was paying a total of around $1000 for airfare, $500 or more for hotels bookending the trip, $2000+for cruise fare, $1000 on the Seapass, and $500 for tips, cabs, and other odd things.

In view of such expenditures for a cruise, I certainly don't give a hoot about another $25 to $100 for extra baggage charges.

The packing list stays the same, and I will indeed enjoy wearing all of my beautiful cruise clothes.....and Brian will still schlep all of his techno-gadgets and his tux. :)

Leslie

Have you ever had any kind of problems with your bags being over? I am just curious since my airlines website says that you may have problems more than just a fee if you bag is over.

Our TA cruise in April will be a big experiment for us in packing light. We will have one 29" roller suitcase each and one small carryon each. Along the way we plan to jettison a number of items to make room for souviners and not have a 3rd bag for that. If we can do this 2-1/2 week trip in one bag each I suspect we will be able to live with the change in allowed free bags.

But I would still tend to avoid any airline that puts this into place....as well as complain loudly...as long as they all do not do it. I think it will also tend to increase the size and weight of carry-on bags right up to the limits although I see Aer Lingus for the flight back from London has a 13lb carry-on weight limit....a possible phase two option for United.

The more they can convince people to trim down the luggage the less planes weigh (and use less fuel) OR the more room for paying cargo. On the flip side....what if an airline was the ONLY one to allow two checked bags but raised all their fares $25? Even for people with only a carry-on. Passengers are so ticket-price sensitive...especially with on-line booking services like Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity that it is virtually impossible to raise fares so they accomplish the same thing in other ways.

I would tend to think that sooner or later most, or all airlines will implement the same restrictions.

We don't fly on United anyway, so no big deal here, however if one looks at the total picture so to speak, if United is say $200 RT and another airline is say $275 RT with the same departure times, or maybe even close to the same fare as United, but with lousy departure times, who would you book with.

If United is still lower, even with checking bags, then, it should really only matter what comes out in the end. Anyway, that is how I would look at it.

Archived