How will airline charges for a second bag change the way you pack?

erniesband

United Airlines has announced a $25.00 charge for a second piece of checked luggage, unless you have elite status in their frequent flyer program. In an article in our local newspaper, an airline industry analyst predicted most airlines would follow suit. And the current 50 lb limits will remain.

We're already considering the ways in which this will change our packing habits, for instance loading our carry ons, instead of trying to keep them light, skipping formal night (this might be tough on our next cruise, which is on X), or (and this one is at DH's suggestion), further reducing the shoes I take (he just doesn't understand, does he? :D ).

How do you think it'll affect your packing plans?

I think it's totally crappy, this new baggage limit! They won't let you carry-on liquids, so you have to check them, making your checked bags that much heavier.

And don't tell me it's about weight--if a 300 lb man can board the plane with a 50 lb suitcase (350 lbs total) why can't I bring 250 lbs in addition to my weight??????

Flying has never been pleasant, at least in the last 10 years or so, and it's getting worse all the time!

Oh, to have the money for a private jet!!!!!!

At this point, it will cause me to never fly United. We have several airports nearby and several carriers to select from. We are a family of four (2A, 2C) and we need a bag for me and dh, a bag for the kids, a bag for toiletries and drugs, a bag for all of our shoes and a garment bag for formal nights. That means that we have 1 additional bag if all carriers start this.

Frankly, given the way they forced everyone to check bags after 9/11, basically making it almost impossible to carry on, this is just a moneymaking tactic. They know that many people have moved to checking bags and this gives them easy money. What a rip off!

Just reviewed their site, and it is enforced on all domestic flights.

Including Puerto Rico, Canada, and U.S. territories.

Non-refundable tickets affected. Pay full fare and check 2 bags.

Not a member of certain status in their FF program.

Dosen't take effect until after the first of May, just in time for summer vacations.

If you are flying internationally, 2 bags are still allowed.

Lastly, THIS SUCKS

We are stuck as we made our reservations way-back-when for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan. Looks like formal night may end by no fault of the cruiseline if we won't pony up the extra $$ to get our suits and dresses to the ship.

I either wouldn't fly united (and since I fly from one of the cheapest airport per average flight cost in the US, I have lots of choice), or I'd pay the $25. No way would I pack lighter and possibly ruin my vacation (either by having less than I need with me or not being able to purchase as much to take home) over twenty-five dollars.

:rolleyes:

Just reviewed their site, and it is enforced on all domestic flights.

Including Puerto Rico, Canada, and U.S. territories.

Non-refundable tickets affected. Pay full fare and check 2 bags.

Not a member of certain status in their FF program.

Dosen't take effect until after the first of May, just in time for summer vacations.

If you are flying internationally, 2 bags are still allowed.

Lastly, THIS SUCKS

We are stuck as we made our reservations way-back-when for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan. Looks like formal night may end by no fault of the cruiseline if we won't pony up the extra $$ to get our suits and dresses to the ship.

I thought it only effected flights that will be booked after a certain date, though don't remember that date.

On longer cruises we each bring a suitcase and we also bring a rolling garment bag. It doesn't hold all that much but it's great for the formal wear and DH's heavy shoes. We will try to continue to fly Southwest or Jet Blue whenever possible. Unless the prices are dirt cheap (which is highly doubtful), I would avoid airlines that charge for the 2nd bag.

Spirit Airlines has been charging for all checked luggage for about a year and a half now. You can buy it online for $5 each for your first two checked bags, or it is $10 each for your first two checked bags if you just pay at the airport. Looks like United just followed along with a higher price.

We had two flights booked with Spirit prior to the policy change. When we checked in for both flights, we had to produce our reservation summary or pay the surcharge. We had to produce the documentation despite the fact that the reservation date was noted in the reservation system.

So hang on United passengers. It isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Since I travelled much of the world with one checked bag, including uniforms and civilian clothes, don't guess it will make much difference. My wife finds it somewhat restrictive, but we've taken almost a dozen cruises now, with 1 checked and one carryon apiece.

The vacuum bags help some in volume, but could lead to an overload in weight (particularly overseas travel).

If you don't have a completely new ensemble for multiple formal nights, so what. Will you ever see your companions again? If you do, they probably won't remember what you wore anyhow.

I think it's totally crappy, this new baggage limit! They won't let you carry-on liquids, so you have to check them, making your checked bags that much heavier.

And don't tell me it's about weight--if a 300 lb man can board the plane with a 50 lb suitcase (350 lbs total) why can't I bring 250 lbs in addition to my weight??????

Flying has never been pleasant, at least in the last 10 years or so, and it's getting worse all the time!

Oh, to have the money for a private jet!!!!!!

I've never thought of that. You have a point!

If you don't have a completely new ensemble for multiple formal nights, so what. Will you ever see your companions again? If you do, they probably won't remember what you wore anyhow.

What if it's for you and not your tablemates? My husband would certainly remember if I wore the same outfit twice.

This just feels like more nickel and diming, but if they all do it, there isn't much we can do. We always take at least three bags (a suitcase each plus a garment bag) and sometimes an empty one for souvenirs. No sense in ruining our trip over an annoying fee.

It is for those, like my DH, who need to check their golf bags! Or what about car seats?

Well, you've got a point with car seats. I have no sympathy, however, for golfers (I'm not flaming...I'm a golfer). Chalk it up to the price of playing.

I don't have any problem with airlines, or anyone else for that matter, changing their pricing policy to charge for usage of certain features, etc. by people that use the service rather than charging the majority for what the minority does.

DH doesn't like to take a carry on, but he will be taking one from now on. We usually each have one checked bag, and then a small bag (carry on size) for shoes. We each have big feet and the shoes take a lot of room. Now, the shoe bag will be carried on. We tend to like a medium sized bag because it is easier to handle -- if I have to pack shoes in my main bag, we will take the large bags. I wonder if United considered how much more full their overhead compartments will now be as those who used to check their carry on, will now carry it on?

Do they charge, currently, for those who need seat belt extenders? You know, $25 for them? Cancel that, because sure as shootin, they will shorten them just to extol some more money from us for their lousy -- and with United, I do mean horrendous -- service.

Archived