Back from Alaska on Infinity

flagger

We are back now at home sans our bags. I had to check email and unwind. Never again will I fly America West...NEVER!

Cruise was wonderful as was the scenery. Had a few things that were disappointments but nothing worthy of "demanding a free cruise" as the perks we received including dining with the Captain and hotel director 2nd seating on the second formal night far outweighed the minuses.

Weather was divine. I took over 440 pictures. Saw the northern lights, we saw a whale breaching as we left Sitka.

Disorganized disembarkation at Ballantyne, but the plus was the ease at which we were able to get a cab to the airport was superb. Lots of pressure/suggestion to use Celebrity's transfer service because of "lack of taxi service at the pier" were not to be found.

Ask away with your questions and I will be working on my review and website in the coming weeks. I will try to answer as many as I can.

Oh and traveling with a 15 month old was challenging especially as she has been teething. Yes we missed "quite a bit" as far as ship's activities, but we are coming home well rested. Daddy and his daughter napped quite a bit.

Too bad that America West put such a damper on the beginning and the end of our trip. For us a seven day cruise was just enough.

Great to hear your cruise was good. WOW, got to eat with the Captain, I've never done that. I hope your bags finally catch up to you. I've never flown AW, most recently AA and Continental and had no problems with either.

Looking forward to your review.

Reggie

so what happened with the airline? I haven't flown them in years because connecting thru Phoenix or Vegas is generally not convenient for what we have needed in our travels, but way back in their early days they were pretty cool, so I'm curious -- TR

so what happened with the airline? I haven't flown them in years because connecting thru Phoenix or Vegas is generally not convenient for what we have needed in our travels, but way back in their early days they were pretty cool, so I'm curious -- TR
It started out on the outbound. We arrived per recommendations two hours prior to our flight. We couldn't check in outside because of YVR being our final destination. We went up and waited for someone to check us because at DFW they only have a couple of people and the rest E-ticket kiosks. It turns out they were an hour late due to a late arriving crew due to weather. OK, we can deal. They tell us that we could "possibly" make the tight connection but there was NO WAY our bags would make it. So we are booked on the next flight leaving out of PHX three hours later.

Well after four hours in PHX due to an equipment swap due to maint. and entertaining a 15 month old, we board our flight to YVR. We clear immigration and after an hour of no bags coming up to baggage claim, I go over to baggage service and about to make a complaint and see my bags which DID make the earlier connection sitting next to the counter. It was a 14 hour travel day.

Then on the way home, there was a delay due to weather. We arrived in PHX 10 minutes after our scheduled departure time and run like h*ll to the gate where it is still waiting. There was no one at the counter or to meet the flight to help people with their connections. We sit at the gate for another 30 minutes while the captain says they need to wait for late arriving bags and because of weather. At this point, I honestly did NOT expect my bags to make the flight.

Well of course they didn't. However, AW had no baggage service agent, nor anyone at the counter and you could not file a lost baggage claim over the phone. So we waited an hour and a half after calling everyone listed at the podium for someone to arrive. They really dropped the ball.

AW managed to ruin both the beginning and end of what was really a wonderful vacation.

Flagger, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. It is hard to travel with a little one but you sound like you had a good time. Who says rest isn't good. Loved your pic of the Whale's tale. Sorry about AW. We fly Continental where ever possible, but you can have problems with any of them. Welcome back. Pat :)

Hi Flagger

Just wondered how much the taxi was from Vancouver pier to the airport and also how long a ride it was.

We are on the Infinity September 26th departing from Ballantyne Pier so doing the opposite.

Thanks for the your assistance.

Rita

I was also on Infinity for my Alaska cruise. That is one time I can honestly say that ship entertainment show in large theatre competed with the excursions. Best theatre I nave seen on a ship, so far.

But, please. How did your packing plans work out? I remember your questions before you left. After all that careful weighing of every item, to have lost them BEFORE you boarded would have been a real hassle, especially when traveling with a toddler. How can one replace little footed snap up pj suit, diapers, beloved comfort objects etc. I REMEMBER! The child's luggage was key to our enjoyment of any vacation.

Sorry about the air hassles. Seems that one just can not depend on air itinerary to be on time I always book a day on land just because I've had so many delays which could have caused missing the cruise.

Would you do it again? What would you change? What did you do exactly right? :D

How did your packing plans work out?
I brought one too many pair of shoes. We only came back with a couple of pair of clean underwear each' date=' some socks and a shirt or two. Baby came back with a few more clean clothes, but not much more than us. Nice thing was not as many diapers coming back made for lighter bags. We really did not buy all that much in the shops on shore.

Would you do it again? What would you change? What did you do exactly right? :D
Yes we would do it again in a heartbeat though we would fly that far non-stop no matter the cost. American wanted $800 more to fly non-stop. All airlines have their issues of course, but with a toddler non-stops are the way to go.

I would probably utilise the babysitting more nights of the cruise. We watched the cruise in review video the last night and Ms. Flagger said, "Gee honey, we missed quite a bit." However the cruise is what YOU make of it and you can do as much or as little as you want. I sat next to people who had been on HAL at the airport and they were worn out they had done so much. I would leave the power strip at home most likely next time.

Taking the over the shoe door holder worked out great to keep the diapers out of the way. It was a welcome suggestion. We also loved the plug in clock we brought as we like being able to look at the time at a glance without looking at the phone or a watch.

I sent of a very nice thank you letter to Jack Williams this morning for our treatment and have already received a response back. I did not go into any of the negatives as I had already done that on the comment card.

I will be posting a full review, but the biggest negative was our stateroom attendant. There were several times where she did just her job and several times where she did not do that well. It turns out she is pregnant, ending her contract in November and basically seemed to not care. She was not "wonderful" by any stretch of the imagination.

Please tell me more about the Infinity. We are looking at booking Infinity or Island Pricess to Hawaii next year. I would specifically like to know how the food was and also which room size did you book. It seems that Infinity's rooms are smaller than other lines (???) and I do want a balcony.

P.S. We just returned from Alaska cruise on HAL's Oosterdam!

Thanks,

Hi Flagger,

Sorry you had some disappointments. I must say I've never had a bad cruise attendant in 15 Celebrity cruises. Some are better than others though. It sounds like this lady was ready to go home. Captain Larry is definitely a treat. We had some unbelievable sights on our Aug 29 cruise. Two humpbacks breaching and then a whole pod of Orcas jumping and playing for at least 20 minutes. It was great. The weather was rainy that day but who cares.

Flagger,

I just got to read my emails and check in. We had a rough ride in but Air Canada was on time. Chucks! what a dreadful return home:(. I too am looking forward to your review. What a great time we had watching the Northern Lights and all thanks to you! The bottle is chillin':)..... Regards to Miss and Ms. Flagger.

Nancy

Great to hear the luggage has finally arrived! Not a stitch in the washer, unfortunately the polluted city in which I live aggravated my asthma yesterday. Oh how I do so miss that wonderful Alaskan air. Looking forward to many pics:)

N.

Flagger

Really pleased you had such an enjoyable cruise, albeit slightly tarnished by America West. British Airways messed up a few peoples luggage on our cruise last year, at the beginning not the end, so they were bagless until Charleston after two sea days, so it happens to all from time to time.

I have to say I read your comments about dinner with the Captain with a wry smile after the ribbing you received about formal nights. I'm so glad you got so much out of this and enjoyed reading your comments on another thread with the insider info.

You didn't sound like you got too stressed whilst on your cruise, which is good. Perhaps the planning and worrying before you left worked well for you;)

Great photo of the whale. I hope it's not too long before you are ready for another cruise. Dare I say it, have you got the bug?

Phil

I hope it's not too long before you are ready for another cruise. Dare I say it, have you got the bug?
Well we are still booked on Rhapsody of the Seas for January 2 out of Galveston. As of now, some life issues are making us wait until the deposit due date before making a decision.

I was however looking at a Mexican Riviera cruise for Jan 06 or maybe the Southern Caribbean. We might even think of something in the dead weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We really do not know where we will be living as of January 05 either so everything just has to wait.

Everytime I try to sit down and gather all of my notes (I took copious ones), some little girl demands my attention. The only thing I have done so far is whittle down my photos to delete out of focus, bad lighting, shots.

I'm glad to hear you had a mostly good time. It's too bad about the room attendant, maybe she was morning sick, or going through that awful tired phase many of us have the first few months of pregnancy. Not that that is an excuse for poor service, but perhaps she should have been put somewhere else if she couldn't perform her duties.

Was the Captains table the rectangular table by the windows in the back (aft) area of the dining room? I ask because we only ate one meal back in that area, a lunch during the Sitka stop. It was the lovliest view, we have a couple great shots of that day.

I love your whale shot, just beautiful. I was snapping as many pictures as I could during our whale watch, but did not get one quite that pretty. Of course, it was pouring down rain the day we were out there.

I'm looking forward to reading your review in a while. BTW, I did 14 loads of laundry the day after we got back from Alaska.

Clothes are all folded and put away. I am into the embarkation part of my review. I am trying not to make an epic, but not a novella either.

BTW, this is what it took as far as bags for a family of three, one of whom is in diapers.

luggaged.jpg

The captain's table is the large oval table on level four of the M-Class ships. We had seating for fourteen including the captain and hotel director (who sat between Ms. Flagger and myself). We had a picture taken which was delivered gratis to our room the next day. We had little place cards at our seats. As it was formal night, there was a shade drawn so the view was non-existent. Also it was second seating and as it was September the sun had long since dropped below the horizon.

The vibration was very noticeable at this table as you are sitting five decks above the azipods. We also noticed the vibration at our table (444) on the last night of the cruise as well.

Archived