Complimentary wine list question

joschus

Thank you for posting the complimentary wine list - it was quite amazing to read. I have a question that arose after reading the posts from other members on this topic.

If it is true that passengers cannot look at the complimentary wine list, then how does one pick a wine from it? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it sounds like this is a Silversea policy that would cause many complaints from people. I haven't read anything about this until now.

Thanks,

John

Nope.

I think what has happened is that not every customer is thoughtful and polite and a few SS clients have asked for the list and have found that this being a ship - that some wines are unavailable and have changed - and have complained. This means that it's easier for wine waiters to make the list a bit inaccessible rather than explain that some are not available. So some people have had problems getting the list - others including us- have had no problems at all.

My suggestion is that you should make friends with the wine waiters. Say - my aim is to try pretty much every wine on the complimentary list during the cruise. Tell them that you appreciate that not all will be availble. Ask for the list!

The way you pick a wine if you don't know them is to either read the description or explain to the wine waiter what you like either by way of another wine you've enjoyed or a simple description. The great thing about SS and the complimentary wine list is that if you don't like the first glass - or just want a achange - you can do and it will not bother anyone.

Very interesting reply of yours - thank you. As a follow-up, we'll have no problem in picking a wine because we are familiar with wine. I just couldn't quite "get" how one is supposed to know what "could be" available without a list! Rather like ordering dinner without seeing the menu.

The only point that you forgot to mention is - how do the wine stewards let guests know about the dozens of wines that are available now - without showing them the list? They don't have time to verbally run down the all the choices at every table. That would get them to hand the list out to everyone fast!

John

the reason SS does not offer the wine list is that they choose a particular red and white for every meal (supposedly to complement the food) and most people accept what they pour. however you are free to ask for anything on the list. if you like one particular wine and it is available you may have it every night. on my last SS cruise i met a man who fell in love with a shiraz and drank it in the bar for cocktails as well as with every meal. thank god they didnt run out of it. I myself always check the list and try as many different wines which interest me as possible. sometimes i have even special ordered dishes to go with a wine i wanted to try. have fun!!!

wripro is right.

From my observations 95% just take the wine offered. In fact without these boards I guess I wouldn't have known about the list - and I wonder in hindsight how many cruisers are aware that there are options other than those that are in the hand of the wine waiter /tress when they approach the table. I guess it wouldn't occur to most people.

On most days a chardonnay was offered. I won't touch chardonnay so it was always easy for me to say I'll have the sancerre or sauvignon or whatever. As I said before some of the wine waiters would already be opening one of my favoured wines as I sat down and approached me with them. I liked that.

I have to also say I think the complimentary list is a generous one and they could have saved money. They have some really nice wines on there, thoughtfully selected and although some others have said or found differently - I was impressed by the wine waiters knowledge of both the wines and what they had in stock at any given moment in time. It's clear they are encouraged to try the wines and to become expert in the ones they serve at least.

I have been researching the wines on the list you posted and am finding that the complimentary ones range in price from $7 to $30 american dollars per bottle.

The reviews I've read of them seem to indicate that they are all excellent values for the money. It seems the people purchasing them have a good understanding of wine.

I, like some of the others that have posted here like to be adventurous and try new wine I haven't had before. Sounds like this trip will be an excellent opportunity to do a lot of tasting.

travel in general should be about trying new things, wine included. since i dont have a list, and therfore the option of so many different wines at home, SS lets me be adventurous. the nice thing is is if you order something and then hate it, they will be happy to replace it with a different one. i agree that for the most part the wines are good and certainly enhance the meals. one of the hardest adjustments to make after leaving a SS cruise is getting a check in restaurants. its easy to get used to not paying. and i know....weve paid plenty upfront, but still it makes being on SS special.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone recall what the general range of prices is on the premium wine list? Is there a good representation of California wineries? Many thanks to UK1 for posting the complementary list!

as i recall there were bottles in most price ranges starting around 50 or 60 dollars up to several hundred. there was a good representation of california wines....i remember opus one at around 120 or 150. also some good bordeaux at around 90 or 100. mind you, the only time i ordered off the premium list was in le champagne and the quality of the food as well as the presentation made it worth every cent.

JDAA,

On the July chargeable list there were 7 champagnes priced from $55:00 to $152. 32. White wines from all countries ranging from $28 to $237 for a French Burgundy. There were 103 Reds from $36 to $2240 for an 89 Petrus Pomerol. It says that the taste lingers long after the last drop has been savoured. In my case it would need to linger way past my funeral. There were 5 desert wines (disgraceful that there are no Austrian Eiswiens - but let's not get started on that!) and 5 ports which are also sold by the glass.

• 4 weeks later...

though we have traveled only on Seabourn, they did have a few different house wines. What they tended to do most of the time is to have a certain set (white, red, etc) wines as TODAY's house wine. That way every table, bar and restaurant served the same thing. So, if you are a wino (we are) and ordered a glass in the bar, you would get the same thing at dinner, etc.

Works pretty well. And, they had some nice selections.

Archived