Question re: infirmary and routine BP check

nulf4me

My husband was recently taken off his blood pressure medication (yeah!), but wants to be sure to monitor it during the cruise since he'll be eating lots of foods that he doesn't usually eat. Is a routine bp check something they will do in the infirmary at no charge, or do we need to pack his bp machine?

Thanks,

Karen

I have been told it is no charge if you purchased Carnival insurance, otherwise there is a per visit charge. Heard it on the ship, so not sure, but thats what I was told. Folks wanted sea sick meds/shots?? something they wanted and only those who had purchased insurance thru Carnival got it free of charge. (some people were really sick is why they were going to the infirmary when we had bad waves).

Maybe if you called Carnival you could find out for sure. There is a per visit charge for the infirmary.

Karen,

I doubt they charge for BP checks and while it's a good idea to keep an eye on your BP and to have it checked regularly at times (such as when changing meds), I wouldn't consider a cruise vacation to be a 'routine' time. Your husbands BP may be up, down, or anywhere in between and not be relevant in terms of a routine BP check. If the infirmary does check his BP and it's not normal, then they may have an obligation to do further testing. If he insists on having his BP checked, I'd bring along an electronic home kit. I would also recommend that he not rely too heavily on any unusual readings from your home kit; barometric pressure will skew electronic BP results.

Also needs to watch salt and fluid intake if he has just come off b/p meds and is going on a cruise. Even on bp and water pill, I retain fluid and feet and legs swell up on cruises. I think it would be a good idea to take your own machine (I do) and discuss with dr before goining re: what to do if he notices excessive fluid retention

I take mine with me... if he is like me, he'll be able to tell when his BP is high, but it's always good to keep an eye on it. Anytime I make an adjustment with my BP meds, I keep track of it daily... I'd take my own... that way you don't have to fuss with only being able to check when they are open. If your reading shows high, I would get into the infirmary when it is open and have them check it as well... Also drink lots of extra water, etc. Good luck to him!! I'm scared to death to come off mine!!! Have a great cruise!!

I take mine with me... if he is like me, he'll be able to tell when his BP is high, but it's always good to keep an eye on it. Anytime I make an adjustment with my BP meds, I keep track of it daily... I'd take my own... that way you don't have to fuss with only being able to check when they are open. If your reading shows high, I would get into the infirmary when it is open and have them check it as well... Also drink lots of extra water, etc. Good luck to him!! I'm scared to death to come off mine!!! Have a great cruise!!

I agree with everything you said. GC, you (and I) are too young to have high BP! My doctor cut my dosage in half today though, and I'm hoping when I see him in a month, I can be removed completely. I've lost 13 pounds (still want to lose 10 more), and I got my butt back in the gym every day. I get dizzy when I stand up now, so he said to cut the pills in half.

I have been told it is no charge if you purchased Carnival insurance, otherwise there is a per visit charge. Heard it on the ship, so not sure, but thats what I was told. Folks wanted sea sick meds/shots?? something they wanted and only those who had purchased insurance thru Carnival got it free of charge. (some people were really sick is why they were going to the infirmary when we had bad waves).

Maybe if you called Carnival you could find out for sure. There is a per visit charge for the infirmary.

A tiny clarification, I have found on CCL, RCL, NCL, Princess and others, that sea sick meds only are available in a box on the wall just outside the infirmary or just inside the door. Just take what you need/want. Also available at the Pursers desk.

On shots, I'm sure you're right. Without insurance there would be a charge.

Dan

I agree with everything you said. GC, you (and I) are too young to have high BP! My doctor cut my dosage in half today though, and I'm hoping when I see him in a month, I can be removed completely. I've lost 13 pounds (still want to lose 10 more), and I got my butt back in the gym every day. I get dizzy when I stand up now, so he said to cut the pills in half.

No kidding!! I wish I could go off... I take mine for tachycardia, to control my pulse, which in turn made my blood pressure rise... It's not so bad though, I've been on it for years. I don't like the thought of going off it, primarily because I know what it was like without it :eek: Good luck weaning off... go slow!!

Karen,

I doubt they charge for BP checks and while it's a good idea to keep an eye on your BP and to have it checked regularly at times (such as when changing meds), I wouldn't consider a cruise vacation to be a 'routine' time. Your husbands BP may be up, down, or anywhere in between and not be relevant in terms of a routine BP check. If the infirmary does check his BP and it's not normal, then they may have an obligation to do further testing. If he insists on having his BP checked, I'd bring along an electronic home kit. I would also recommend that he not rely too heavily on any unusual readings from your home kit; barometric pressure will skew electronic BP results.

I completely agree with Paul. I am an ER nurse and we often see big changes in BP in one day. Really, the best bet is a quick chat with your doc regarding what he would prefer. I don't know about infirmary rules but in the ER we don't do routine BP checks for the simple reason that if we do see something abnormal we are required to address it, meaning checking you in and creating a bill - despite the fact that BP is something that fluctuates constantly. I think you will feel better if you have advice from the doc who knows him. Just my two cents. :)

I completely agree with Paul. I am an ER nurse and we often see big changes in BP in one day. Really, the best bet is a quick chat with your doc regarding what he would prefer. I don't know about infirmary rules but in the ER we don't do routine BP checks for the simple reason that if we do see something abnormal we are required to address it, meaning checking you in and creating a bill - despite the fact that BP is something that fluctuates constantly. I think you will feel better if you have advice from the doc who knows him. Just my two cents. :)

WOW you guys charge for a BP check. I guess I should be happy with my small town clinic. I can walk in anytime they are open (6 days a week) and they will check it for free as a patient of theirs.

WOW you guys charge for a BP check. I guess I should be happy with my small town clinic. I can walk in anytime they are open (6 days a week) and they will check it for free as a patient of theirs.

Debbie, I think what he/she was saying is that if they do a routine check and it is high, then they have to do a workup and see what is causing it to be high... it then becomes non-routine and a chargeable visit. My Dr does the same thing... if it goes beyond just the nurse taking the BP, they have to charge for it. I could be wrong though, LOL!!

I know it's crazy! It has to do with emergency treatment rules and of course the ever-present legal concerns for hospitals. (sigh)

Debbie, I think what he/she was saying is that if they do a routine check and it is high, then they have to do a workup and see what is causing it to be high... it then becomes non-routine and a chargeable visit. My Dr does the same thing... if it goes beyond just the nurse taking the BP, they have to charge for it. I could be wrong though, LOL!!

Lucy - you are right, that is the thought process - just in the ER we don't even do that first step because of the ensuing steps - so if someone wants a blood pressure check we explain that...then they usually decide its easier to go to their regular doc or the grocery store LOL.

p.s. I just realized my sig makes it tough to figure out which one of us is talking - I included Steve but he is never on here...LOL - maybe I should highlight??

A tiny clarification, I have found on CCL, RCL, NCL, Princess and others, that sea sick meds only are available in a box on the wall just outside the infirmary or just inside the door. Just take what you need/want. Also available at the Pursers desk.

On shots, I'm sure you're right. Without insurance there would be a charge.

Dan

Yea I knew that pills were available, just not sure why so many were going to the infirmary and complaining about the cost. It was a big topic on my cruise lol. I had patches with me, so we were ok.

Archived